Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Canada's Border "WALL"

Message 21 of 31

@rker321 wrote:

Gail ; you mean to tell me that you understand the issue? then why in this world Trump doesn't?  I am waiting for the National Emergency to happen and I really hope it does. I bet if he would ask for 20 billions for a wall that you describe  I bet he wouldn't have a problem getting it.

President Trump did try to get Mexico to sign a Safe Third Country Agreement with us - the same type of agreement that we have with Canada.  They would not -

This Agreement with Canada was signed by Bush shortly after 911 - like I said this type of agreement is common is Europe because it stops asylum seekers from "country shopping".

If we could get this type of Agreement with Mexico - it would solve our problem.  Just like we are giving Canada cover - Mexico would give us some cover. 

So instead of us contemplating a physical wall, it would be an invisible wall and then perhaps Mexico would pau for their own wall - but on their southern border, not the one they share with us.

Canada should do away with this Safe Third Country Agreement which they have with us especially if they feel we are no longer determined to be safe for asylum seekers and other type immigrants - Temporary Protected Status immigrants ordered to return to their home country once it has stabilized, those that over stay their Visas and want to apply for asylum in Canada, etc.

Like I said, who knows, could be some U.S. citizens that live in violent neighborhoods that might want to seek asylum in Canada - Chicago, comes toi mind.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 31

@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

No, that is not what I am saying.  I didn't say anything about a third world country.  The topic is about why Canada has not cancelled their Safe Third Country Agreement with us?  It is their INVISABLE border wall for them.

Sounds to me like you do NOT know what a "Safe Third Country" is - and what the agreement between the U.S. and Canada means for them and us.  The concept began in Europe as a way to streamline asylum management in Europe.

If Canada thinks, like you seem to, that our Country is no longer a safe thrid country - then wouldn't one think that they would want to dissolve this Safe Third Country Agreement with us?

• . . . . . . Most of the world thinks we are headed to 3rd world Status, and that includes Canada under Trump.. . . . 
  • The Safe 3rd Country you speak of is something 2 good countries agreed to as they felt it would help both, but sadly our Country took a really bad turn that no one in either Country thought was possible a few years ago. That is what happens when the far right takes over as you say there is an invisible border wall between the 2 countries.

Thanks for making my point -

If Canada feels the way you have stated - which I am not disputing that they might feel this way - Why not cancel this Agreement with us and allow asylum seekers for where ever to pick their country?

It is because they do not want the asylum seekers from where ever coming to their country thru our country.  The Safe Third Country Agreement between the U.S. and Canada prevents this now - that is the Canadian Invisable Wall.  We are giving them cover.

Why would you not think that many here from where ever would not want to seek asylum in Canada?  Asylum seekers coming from the Latin American Northern Triangle, perhaps Mexico - including any unaccompanied minors.  Perhaps those who overstay their Visas here and are on the road to deportation. perhaps those with Temporary Protective Status which have been ordered to return to their home country. 

Heck there may even be some US citizens that have so much violence in their neighborhood that they want to go to Canada - Chicago, comes to mind.

It would be great if Mexico could become a Safe Third Country - why not - many of these current asylum seekers ARE taking refuge in Mexico now.

Canada needs to open up their border to asylum seekers coming through our country - We need to dissove this invisible wall.

How is this Safe Third Country Agreement between the U.S. and Canada helping us at all?

Seems to me, we are just giving Canada some cover from hordes of asylum seekers that cannot go any further than the U.S. when trying to find a safe place.  Canada is just as safe as here, according to you, more so. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 31

@rk9152 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

Oh but you did. Try reading what you said again. Most of the world thinks we are headed to 3rd world Status, and that includes Canada under Trump. By one pole out this week about 60% of Americans think that and they do not think Trump should be reelected. I am sure Canada is hopping that is true so they still have faith in the American people to get rid of their incompetent President. The Safe 3rd Country you speak of is something 2 good countries agreed to as they felt it would help both, but sadly our Country took a really bad turn that no one in either Country thought was possible a few years ago. That is what happens when the far right takes over as you say there is an invisible border wall between the 2 countries. Could be some one will tell Trump about the invisible border wall, and he could do one of 2 things. Want to build a wall  to the north, or tell his followers he has buil that type of wall with Mexico, and now no one is crossing it. about 60% of Americans think that and they do not think Trump should be reelected. He could even use that approach on all the kids that were stolen and the govt. can not find now. They might use that in the court case to be heard.

What a strange post, by the numbers:

1. "and that includes Canada under Trump" - did we annex Canada while I was sleeping?

2. "By one pole out this week" - are we now looking to fishing "poles" to substantiate biased positions?

3. "about 60% of Americans think that and they do not think Trump should be reelected..." - that is an issue resolved in the voting booths, not by fishing poles.

4. "but sadly our Country took a really bad turn that no one in either Country thought was possible a few years ago" - I understand that a turn from the drift towards neoMarxism did occur but that didn't make a drastic change for our country that anyone should be worried about. It just restored us to where we were.

5. "he has built that type of wall with Mexico, and now no one is crossing it" - but the caravans would throw that idea right out the window.

I am still waiting for answers from you on about 3 posts. One does not choose what to answer. It is everything or nothing. Now I agree with you that your answers on this subject are very strange. Fact is it shows you do not understand the subject. Stop  watching FOX as they will always make ones answers not true.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 31

@Olderscout66 wrote:

There has NEVER been a "wall" that could not be negated, and there's never been a border that was not regularily transgressed. The notion that we need to waste billions to prevent poor brown people from trying to become Americans is absurd.

Note the topic.Very few of your poor, tired brown people are coming through Canada.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 31

There has NEVER been a "wall" that could not be negated, and there's never been a border that was not regularily transgressed. The notion that we need to waste billions to prevent poor brown people from trying to become Americans is absurd.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 31

Gail ; you mean to tell me that you understand the issue? then why in this world Trump doesn't?  I am waiting for the National Emergency to happen and I really hope it does. I bet if he would ask for 20 billions for a wall that you describe  I bet he wouldn't have a problem getting it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 31

@john258 wrote:

Oh but you did. Try reading what you said again. Most of the world thinks we are headed to 3rd world Status, and that includes Canada under Trump. By one pole out this week about 60% of Americans think that and they do not think Trump should be reelected. I am sure Canada is hopping that is true so they still have faith in the American people to get rid of their incompetent President. The Safe 3rd Country you speak of is something 2 good countries agreed to as they felt it would help both, but sadly our Country took a really bad turn that no one in either Country thought was possible a few years ago. That is what happens when the far right takes over as you say there is an invisible border wall between the 2 countries. Could be some one will tell Trump about the invisible border wall, and he could do one of 2 things. Want to build a wall  to the north, or tell his followers he has buil that type of wall with Mexico, and now no one is crossing it. about 60% of Americans think that and they do not think Trump should be reelected. He could even use that approach on all the kids that were stolen and the govt. can not find now. They might use that in the court case to be heard.

What a strange post, by the numbers:

1. "and that includes Canada under Trump" - did we annex Canada while I was sleeping?

2. "By one pole out this week" - are we now looking to fishing "poles" to substantiate biased positions?

3. "about 60% of Americans think that and they do not think Trump should be reelected..." - that is an issue resolved in the voting booths, not by fishing poles.

4. "but sadly our Country took a really bad turn that no one in either Country thought was possible a few years ago" - I understand that a turn from the drift towards neoMarxism did occur but that didn't make a drastic change for our country that anyone should be worried about. It just restored us to where we were.

5. "he has built that type of wall with Mexico, and now no one is crossing it" - but the caravans would throw that idea right out the window.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 31

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

Well you seem to be saying that the US under Trump has become a 3rd world country and now does bad things to people arriving at our border like stealing children, torturing people we are holding by force feeding them rather than address their problems, allowing them to stay in country while their case is heard in court but being treated badly in States like FL, Ga., and then not allowing them to vote when they were granted Citizenship.  You also seem to be saying Canada is now the place for all the freedoms we used to have. Lets keep the agreement and bring the USA back to the leader it used to be before the far right took over. Canada and the US should be on par. You pointed out that is not so due to Trump. I agree with you.

No, that is not what I am saying.  I didn't say anything about a third world country.  The topic is about why Canada has not cancelled their Safe Third Country Agreement with us?  It is their INVISABLE border wall for them.

Sounds to me like you do NOT know what a "Safe Third Country" is - and what the agreement between the U.S. and Canada means for them and us.  The concept began in Europe as a way to streamline asylum management in Europe.

If Canada thinks, like you seem to, that our Country is no longer a safe thrid country - then wouldn't one think that they would want to dissolve this Safe Third Country Agreement with us?

Oh but you did. Try reading what you said again. Most of the world thinks we are headed to 3rd world Status, and that includes Canada under Trump. By one pole out this week about 60% of Americans think that and they do not think Trump should be reelected. I am sure Canada is hopping that is true so they still have faith in the American people to get rid of their incompetent President. The Safe 3rd Country you speak of is something 2 good countries agreed to as they felt it would help both, but sadly our Country took a really bad turn that no one in either Country thought was possible a few years ago. That is what happens when the far right takes over as you say there is an invisible border wall between the 2 countries. Could be some one will tell Trump about the invisible border wall, and he could do one of 2 things. Want to build a wall  to the north, or tell his followers he has built that type of wall with Mexico, and now no one is crossing it. He could even use that approach on all the kids that were stolen and the govt. can not find now. They might use that in the court case to be heard.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 31

@john258 wrote:

Well you seem to be saying that the US under Trump has become a 3rd world country and now does bad things to people arriving at our border like stealing children, torturing people we are holding by force feeding them rather than address their problems, allowing them to stay in country while their case is heard in court but being treated badly in States like FL, Ga., and then not allowing them to vote when they were granted Citizenship.  You also seem to be saying Canada is now the place for all the freedoms we used to have. Lets keep the agreement and bring the USA back to the leader it used to be before the far right took over. Canada and the US should be on par. You pointed out that is not so due to Trump. I agree with you.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 31

@GailL1 wrote:

Bet you thought Canada didn't have a Border "Wall", but they do and we gave it to them in the early 2000's.  I believe it was at their request.  The nice thing about it, is that it is invisible to the eye but it serves the purpose none the less.

Even with some Canadian criticism of our President's zero tolerance stance on asylum seekers, or illegal aliens,  Canadians don't have the desire to tear down this "wall" because they realize what would happen.  Perhaps we would even help these south of the border asylum seekers along with little effort to stop them in their rush to get to a more liberal country.  Wonder how many of our illegal aliens, or maybe even some with green cards or on their way to get them but are currently more fearful of using any of our social network subsidies would rush north to this more liberal country?  

We need this type of "wall" with Mexico - or perhaps we need to dissolve this "wall" with Canada.  Afterall, I doubt if Canada thinks we still meet the "Third Safe Country" status. There is rarely any criticism spoken too loudly from our northern neighbor's.  Guess they don't want to rock the boat.

Canadian National Post - Without The Safe Third Country Agreement, We'd Soon See How Liberal We Are ...

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors