Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 42

@bc1415 wrote:

I agree with ALL assertions and questions in this post.

HOWEVER...when you want to turn man's interpretation of "Christian Law" into NATIONAL Law (i.e. no abortions - let women die/give birth to a zillion unwanted and unplanned; no birth control - barefoot and pregnant is sublime; religious intolerance - for the non-religious and other religions)

You will "suck up" to the devil who promises to make those supposed "Christian beliefs" into law and nothing else (apparently) matters.

Given my experience and knowledge of fundamentalist "Christian" religion (I was a "preacher's kid" from birth to age 19 when I quit all religion) my solution would be to ELIMINATE all religions as "tax havens" since most (if not all) have become political accolites of one stripe or another.

Just a thought...what's your solution?

The ONLY one's promoting Religeous Fundalmentalist beliefs into their legislation are REPUBLICANS. Enforce the current laws against preaching politics and retaining your tax exemption (same for the tax exemption of all those Teabagger "educational" foundations) and

VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 42

So, did YOUR church address the sinful behavior of the president this week?  Has it in the past?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 42

It is my opinion that the Catholic "Church" is a criminal enterprise. For centuries (perhaps) priests, bishops, etc. have been shielded from all manner of prosecution for pedophilia. This continues to this very day.

The "prayers and sorrys" are bull...It is time to shut ALL their so called "churches" down in the U.S. - put up the yellow crime tape - and investigate, prosecute, jail, fine and bring justice to all those they have wronged.

We should also END their lobbying and trying to turn/turning their religion beliefs into national law in every country. (How is this any different than Islamic law being the Law in Islamic countries?)

When ALL misdeeds have been fully "repented of" ; ALL victims compensated AND priests are FORCED to marry (men or women, I don't care) to qualifiy for the priesthood. When ALL their religious laws in the U.S and globally have been revoked, all lobbying ceased - only then should we release their edifices called "churches" and allow them to practice their "religion" in this country.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 42

@MaVolta wrote:

@Centristsin2010 - Given what is written in current law, I find it amazing that the Catholic Church can maintain a tax-exempt status. They have a committee of bishops dedicated to one thing: lobbying on behalf of the Church. Some issues fall to the right (ending abortion, prohibiting gay marriage) and others to the left (abolishing the death penalty, support for social justice and human rights). Then there are the aforementioned right-wing activists bishops who are constantly sending mail-outs for right-wing causes and asking us for money to support them.

Given the scandals that have been brought to light, yet again, I am appalled and offended that church leadership has found so much time and money to devote to political issues rather than cleaning up her own backyard. 

Excellent points, MaVolta and well stated.  You shed some light on several points I wasn't aware of.  Thank you.  Can any entity be more hypocritical than the Catholic Church? Can the perpetrators and those covering up the crimes EVER be saved?  If there truly is a righteous God, is it possible?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 42

This "REFUSE TO ENFORCE" guidance Der Trumper has issued is a perfect compliment to his IRS and some Republican appointed Judge handing the KochBros Teabaggers $3.5 million tax dollars. Soon we'll be funding Fundie churches in their cruisade against Women and the LGTBQ community, via bogus settlements like we already handed the baggers.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 42

@Centristsin2010 - Given what is written in current law, I find it amazing that the Catholic Church can maintain a tax-exempt status. They have a committee of bishops dedicated to one thing: lobbying on behalf of the Church. Some issues fall to the right (ending abortion, prohibiting gay marriage) and others to the left (abolishing the death penalty, support for social justice and human rights). Then there are the aforementioned right-wing activists bishops who are constantly sending mail-outs for right-wing causes and asking us for money to support them.

Given the scandals that have been brought to light, yet again, I am appalled and offended that church leadership has found so much time and money to devote to political issues rather than cleaning up her own backyard. 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 42

@Cirice wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

For the very ill-informed.....

Trump signs order seeking to allow churches to engage in more political activity

You're welcome!

"The order, Trump said, removes the financial threat faced by tax-exempt churches from the Internal Revenue Service when pastors speak out on behalf of political candidates. But some experts said it amounts to a mostly symbolic gesture with little likelihood of changing how the agency polices the issue."

As a candidate and shortly after taking office, Trump declared that he would “totally destroy” what is known as the Johnson Amendment, the long-standing ban on churches and other tax-exempt organizations supporting political candidates.

The provision applies to all tax-exempt organizations, including many colleges and foundations. But Christian groups have complained most vociferously about its use.

The provision is written in the tax code and would require an act of Congress to repeal fully. An administration official said Trump was instead directing the IRS to “exercise maximum enforcement discretion of the ­prohibition.”

And you think that makes it better?

That's how trump chose to give the "thumbs-up" to permitting more politics into church.  I'm not surprised that one wasn't aware of that; nor am I not surprised he didn't include this from the link he posted...:

"President Trump on Thursday signed an executive order aimed at making it easier for churches to participate in politics, seeking to deliver on a campaign pledge to a community that overwhelmingly backed in him in last year’s election.

The order, which Trump unveiled with great fanfare in a Rose Garden ceremony, was cheered by some conservative Christians..."

trump just used the IRS policy to announce his preferrence.  How many churches do you think have been fined, or lost their non-exempt status in the last 10 years?

Other media outlets have also made trumps intentions clear:

Trump order frees tax-exempt churches to be more politically active

And from the Conservative Washington Times....

Trump gives churches 'their voices back' with approval to take part in partisan politics

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 42

@williamb39198 wrote:

@phyllisc6781

It seems that some seem to ignore what religion tries to teach us, and then proclaim themselves devoutly religious. 

2-3 weeks ago, I caught some news clips of a meeting of African American ministers and evangelists with trump at the White House. One of the leaders of this group seated next to trump spoke about how proud they were to support trump and how African Americans should be grateful that they could not find someone who was more supportive and had done more for the African American community than trump. After picking myself up off the floor, I wondered was this the opinion of the entire group and is this the agreed perspective of their congregations? As a white caucasian, I am concerned about this mindset about trump for the AF community. 

I often wonder if many use religion as a shield to hide behind. Do they live by the morals and the teachings? If they do, why the necessity for being forgiven of sins every Sunday?

Then compounded by how to forgive or not forgive sins of the clergy. For sins against children, and including worship of a false prophet like trump. 

I suspect some form of "under the table" compensation or highly irrational political bias was responsible for the statements that group made in support of trump...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 42

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

For the very ill-informed.....

Trump signs order seeking to allow churches to engage in more political activity

You're welcome!

"The order, Trump said, removes the financial threat faced by tax-exempt churches from the Internal Revenue Service when pastors speak out on behalf of political candidates. But some experts said it amounts to a mostly symbolic gesture with little likelihood of changing how the agency polices the issue."

As a candidate and shortly after taking office, Trump declared that he would “totally destroy” what is known as the Johnson Amendment, the long-standing ban on churches and other tax-exempt organizations supporting political candidates.

The provision applies to all tax-exempt organizations, including many colleges and foundations. But Christian groups have complained most vociferously about its use.

The provision is written in the tax code and would require an act of Congress to repeal fully. An administration official said Trump was instead directing the IRS to “exercise maximum enforcement discretion of the ­prohibition.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-signs-order-aimed-at-allowing-churches-to-engage-in-mo...

And you think that makes it better?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 42

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Fundamentalists seek only the power to bend others to their will, so no amount of sin or racism or crime or lasciviousness by Trump will shake their total devotion to the PupPetPOTUS.

AMEN!!

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit