Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Can A ‘Moderate’ Win The 2020 Democratic Primary?

Message 1 of 20

In 2008 Barack Obama used John McCain's support for the Iraq War against him. (He did the same in the Primary against Hillary). Obama won.

In 2016 Trump used Hillary's vote for the Iraq War against Her. He won.

Could Trump do the same against Joe Biden?

Trump could blame Biden for "creating ISIS" which Trump himself is trying to "finish off".

The Cost, Both Financial and Human Life Has Been Massive.

The Iraq War has killed over 4,100 US soldiers and wounded or maimed more than 200,000 more and has delivered a devastating blow to our country's reputation and moral authority.

In the end, 156 members of Congress from 36 states had enough information and personal insight and wisdom to make the correct decision for our nation and the world community.

Those courageous leaders are exactly what our country needs. We can trust their judgment!

Liberal icon Ted Kennedy called his vote against the Iraq War “the best vote I’ve cast in my 44 years in the United States Senate.”

Progressive Senator Bernie Sanders: "The truth is that the most significant vote and issue regarding foreign policy that we have seen in this country in modern history is the vote on the war in Iraq. I voted against the war in Iraq".

+++++++++++++++++

" Mr. Biden, ' Aye ' "

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

Biden Likes Republicans So Much Because He’s So Much Like Them.

Recent criticism of Joe Biden for praising Dick Cheney as “a decent man” and Mike Pence as “a decent guy” merely scratches the surface of what’s wrong with the current frontrunner for the Democratic presidential nomination.

The nickname that corporate media have bestowed on him, “Lunch Bucket Joe,” is wide of the mark. A bull’s-eye is “Wall Street Joe”, "Joe Mastercard" and "Mr. MBNA".

Biden has reflexively used pleasant rhetoric to grease the shaft given to millions of vulnerable people, suffering the consequences of his conciliatory approach to right-wing forces.

“In more than four decades of public service, Biden has enthusiastically championed policies favored by financial elites, forging alliances with Wall Street and the political right to notch legislative victories that ran counter to the populist ideas that now animate his party,” HuffPost senior reporter Zach Carter recounts.

Biden often teamed up with Senate Republicans to pass bills at the top of corporate wish lists and to block measures for economic fairness.

In the mid-1970s, during his first Senate term, Biden repeatedly clashed with Sen. Edward Kennedy who wanted to rein in runaway corporate power.

“Biden became an advocate for corporate interests that had previously been associated with the Republican Party,” Carter reports. As he gained seniority, Biden kept lining up with GOP senators against antitrust legislation and for bills to give corporations more leverage over consumers and workers.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/05/09/biden-likes-republicans-so-much-because-hes-so-much-like-the...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

I hate to say it but I don't know that Biden can turn out the vote and beat trump, I almost wish he had stayed out of the race. We (Dems) need a much more charismatic and progressive candidate.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20
I agree completely! You cannot stay home and do nothing, and then whine when Trump is reelected.
Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

What worries me about Biden is his record. He can "say" anything he wants. It's his record that's worrisome.

Joe Biden: "I have the most progressive record of anybody running."

Give me the candidate that has consistently defended Social Security and Medicare....

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

"Putting it all on the table" just means a lot more to squabble over and 'no direction home' (thank you, Bob Dylan).

No, I want to know WHAT it is that Biden, et al, propose to do about it. They can't go around setting goals and not have a plan for how to get there. Pick an option and go for it! 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

If this is what a moderate Democrat sounds like, then I "absolutely" want no part of it.

- Social Security & Medicare -

"Absolutely" Put All Options On The Table...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

Anyone that reads this post. I would appreciate that listen very carefully.

I am reading that there will be Democrats that will not vote, because they don't like the candidate that has been chosen.

Let me make my opinion very clear. If the Democrats actually do as I have read. then in that case, This country deserves 4 more years of Trump. and please don't come to this message board and complain/

I do understand that we have freedom for whom we vote. but if in this situation people don't have the necessary priorities. then in that case I think they deserve to suffer.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

Dems have to fall in love with the candidate, otherwise they opt out as happened in 2016 when they wrote in Bernie or stayed home because they bought the GPOer/KGB 5-year-long campaign of slander and lies against Hillary. GOPers on the other hand fall in line with whoever the GOPerLords put on the ticket.

Libertarians consider themselves conservative. They are an off-shoot of the Republican Party.
If all the Green Party voters voted for Hillary, and all the Libertarian voters voted for Trump, then Trump would have won the popular vote -- 67,474,169 to 67,310,732.

Greens were only on the ballot in 44 states.

Both candidates would have still been below 50%. There were quite a few discontented voters who left the president blank. 

election results independents.png

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

@gordyfl wrote:

biden logo 1.jpg

They both served in the Obama Administration

+++++++++++++++++++

Biden has cozy relations with the banking industry. So did Hillary.

He took on Elizabeth Warren on the Bankrupcy Bill and won. Hillary voted with Biden in favor of the Bill.

He voted for the Iraq War. So did Hillary.

He has close relationships to lobbyists. So did Hillary.

He commands $100,000–$200,000 per speech. Same too with Hillary.

He holds big money fundraisers - from a Comcast executive's home in Philadelphia, to a mansion in Beverly Hills. (He collected $2.2 million from just two recent Florida fundraisers). Not unlike Hillary.

He opposes Medicare for All, as did Hillary. "Universal healthcare will never come to pass".

He doesn't do very well with millenials. Neither did Hillary.

"The younger generation now tells me how tough things are. Give me a break. No, no, I have no empathy for it. Give me a break," Biden told the L.A. Times. Setting aside the bad PR, Biden's apparently has a lack of understanding of the millenials.

Trump's unfavorables are so high that all Dems have to do is not alienate their base.

Instead, Dems are going for Hillary 2.0

Except he’s a man.....and that unfortunately matters to some degree.

Kudos
Views