Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Cam Newton's Sexist Comment

Message 1 of 14 (39 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Time for the deep questioning now......are you a Panthers fan?  A Newton fan?

Answer to question #1- WHEN THEY WIN  Sounds like many of the Yankee and Cowboy fans.....  Smiley Wink

Answer to question #2- Of CAM, FIG and ISAAC, I am a fan of all three.  LOL.....great answer.....took awhile.

By the way.....just saw the apology.  Can't do much better than that.  "The jokes on me." He obviously understands his mistake.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 14 (53 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Time for the deep questioning now......are you a Panthers fan?  A Newton fan?

Answer to question #1- WHEN THEY WIN

Answer to question #2- Of CAM, FIG and ISAAC, I am a fan of all three.

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 14 (72 Views)

So - will Dannon ask Cam to come back? 

Will his apology and all reverse Dannon's decision?

Probably not ever.

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning

Message 4 of 14 (73 Views)

Olderscout66 wrote:

Cent - thanks for reminding me of the GREATEST sound track for a monster flick ever - American Werewolf in London!! Okay, so they just swiped other people's songs - but talk about perfect placement!

Agreed! and my pleasure!  One of my favorite movies....great soundtrack as you said, super, state-of-the-art special effects at the time (Michael Jackson used the same special effects in his video "Thriller") and one of the first "funny" horror movies with jokes sprinkled through out ("goodbye, girls") which was National Lampoon's stamp on their first horror movie.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 14 (77 Views)

Cent - thanks for reminding me of the GREATEST sound track for a monster flick ever - American Werewolf in London!! Okay, so they just swiped other people's songs - but talk about perfect placement!

Message 6 of 14 (83 Views)

@nctarheel wrote:

@Centristsin2010,

We only disagree "once in a blue moon". The "blue moon" must be out.  Well, the harvest moon is out, but I don't think there's a "blue" one. The next one is scheduled for January 31, 2018, but it does depend on which definition of "blue moon" one accepts....there are two.  But until then....

I feel that the fact he addressed her question in a serious manner and gave a thorough answer to what she asked... deserved some consideration.  Due to your posts, I considered it, albeit quite briefly.  But I'm shrugging....  Smiley Wink

He could have laughed at the fact she knew a lot about "routes" and then "blown off" her question as being a "stupid question from a woman" but he did not do that. He answered it seriously.  I think he was surprised that a woman understood pass routes and that surprised resulted in the grin, then smile and then admitting his surprise.  I don't think he was joking.....just my opinion though.

That small distinction had some meaning to me.  Fair enough.  Time for the deep questioning now......are you a Panthers fan?  A Newton fan?

Newton is a pretty straight arrow.  You would know better than I.

He made a honest mistake I agree.  and apologized for it.  A little tardy, but yes.

First of all, I'm a fan of the guy, though I despise his TD antics....as I do with all athletes, black or white.  I like his tough play, his size for a QB and his growth as a pro.  But most importantly, I love how much he gives to the community....he's the real deal.

BUT, he did screw up here and deserved to be called out until he owned his mistake and apologized and by all accounts, he's finally done so.  When the topic was posted, he hadn't done so.

I do want to point out though that I don't know if he's a sexist or not and since this was the first time I've seen a comment like this attributed to him, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.  It's similar to when a Member here makes a racist comment.  It doesn't mean they're necessarily a racist, but the comment itself maybe.  That's why I laugh at the knuckleheads here who claim I've called them a racist, which I never had.  But I do point out their racist comments.  Maybe it's just their guilty conscience and if that's the case, GREAT!!!

Another example maybe that if I accidentally post something which is compelling or brilliant, it certainly doesn't make me either.  Just saying.....

Smiley Wink

Trusted Social Butterfly

Cam Newton's Sexist Comment

Message 7 of 14 (102 Views)
  • Was Cam Newton's remark sexist? Yes
  • Was he trying to be funny? Yes
  • Was it funny? This is a personal judgment, I think it was
  • Was it a mistake? Probably
  • Should any of us be concerned about it? No

I think people are blowing this way out of proportion. Cam Newton is the team leader and a good guy. People should leave him alone, we have far more important issues to worry about.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 14 (106 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

"This afternoon, I did my job as an NFL beat writer and asked Cam Newton a question about one of his receivers. I was dismayed by his response, which not only belittled me but countless other women before me and beside me who work in similar jobs. I sought Mr. Newton out as he left the locker room a few minutes later. He did not apologize for his comments."

If you watch the video, he did make a remark that he shouldn't have BUT and that's a BIG BUT he does SERIOUSLY ANSWER her question. That leads me to think he was more trying to be funny rather than disparage her position as a woman in sports.

And as we have all found out today. This reporter was publicising herself as victim while all the while, having a skeleton of her own in the closet.

This sports reporter has had a racist tweet in the twittersphere for the last FIVE YEARS!!!!! And now, she's "all of a sudden" sorry for it???? Yeah.... right.

Agreed. It seems like a case of looking for career enhancing attention.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 14 (110 Views)

@Centristsin2010,

We only disagree "once in a blue moon". The "blue moon" must be out.

I feel that the fact he addressed her question in a serious manner and gave a thorough answer to what she asked... deserved some consideration.

He could have laughed at the fact she knew a lot about "routes" and then "blown off" her question as being a "stupid question from a woman" but he did not do that. He answered it seriously.

That small distinction had some meaning to me.

Newton is a pretty straight arrow.

He made a honest mistake and apologized for it.

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 14 (146 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

"This afternoon, I did my job as an NFL beat writer and asked Cam Newton a question about one of his receivers. I was dismayed by his response, which not only belittled me but countless other women before me and beside me who work in similar jobs. I sought Mr. Newton out as he left the locker room a few minutes later. He did not apologize for his comments."

If you watch the video, he did make a remark that he shouldn't have BUT and that's a BIG BUT he does SERIOUSLY ANSWER her question. That leads me to think he was more trying to be funny rather than disparage her position as a woman in sports.  Au contraire!  Who cares if he answered the question?  And if it was a joke, as you suggest, IT'S A SEXIST JOKE!!!  It's 2017 for crying out loud!!!  Suppose someone suggested they were surprised a black could comprehend the playbook....would we be saying that was a racist comment???  Of course we would.

And as we have all found out today. This reporter was publicising herself as victim while all the while, having a skeleton of her own in the closet.  Not an issue to me....that was several years ago (and it was indeed a racist comment for sure), but it has nothing to do with this issue.  I'm sure you would agree it's getting lame when someone is insulted and complains about it and then many dig in that person's past to dig out a comparison as if it diminishes the current issue.....it doesn't IMAHO.  Would you agree?  A moment ago I was sure you would  Smiley Wink

This sports reporter has had a racist tweet in the twittersphere for the last FIVE YEARS!!!!! And now, she's "all of a sudden" sorry for it???? Yeah.... right.  This "issue" isn't about her.....at all!!!  Maybe she's a hypocrite.....it doesn't diminish Cam's responsibility to the media and his fans.  Just ask Dannon.

OK.....now you can toss me off of the ship.....  Smiley Very Happy