Honored Social Butterfly

California Primary Voting System

Iowa was blistered by the media after they royally screwed up the first Democratic Primary. But we're now half way through Thursday and we still don't have the final results of the Democratic primary in the most important state. Come on, that was 2 days ago.

Why doesn't the media criticize Calfornia's Democratic Primary, just like they did with Iowa?

Honored Social Butterfly

Cirice asked, "California hasn't even received all of the ballots yet. How can you expect instantaneous results when the results haven't even come in yet?"

Please tell me how almost all the other states do it? The answer is the other states are much better organized. For example, they require mail in ballots be postmarked 48 or 72 hours before the election day. If you do that, you will have all the ballots. 

It's 3 days since the election and they only counted slightly more than half of the ballots. In my opinon, this is unacceptable in the age of technology. 

Every state has the same issues, such as early voting and/or mail in ballots. I have a hard time understanding how almost every state in America can do this except California. Why can't they figure it out? 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Gail said, "Voters in the state have until midnight on election day to mail in their ballots, as long as it is postmarked on or before election day."

This is an easy one. If you can't or don't want to vote in person, your ballot must be postmarked 72 hours before election day. That's what other states do and that gives them plenty of time to count the ballots on election day.

If there's a change between the time you mail in your ballot and election day, tough. If you're worried about that happening, then do what everyone else does, vote in person on election day.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here ya go - we can all watch the progress.

As of 03/04/2020, CA had 3.2 Million unprocessed votes.

There will be a further update as the continue to arrive tomorrow.

https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov/statewide-elections/2020-primary/unprocessed-ballots-report.pdf 

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Gail said, "Voters in the state have until midnight on election day to mail in their ballots, as long as it is postmarked on or before election day."

This is an easy one. If you can't or don't want to vote in person, your ballot must be postmarked 72 hours before election day. That's what other states do and that gives them plenty of time to count the ballots on election day.

If there's a change between the time you mail in your ballot and election day, tough. If you're worried about that happening, then do what everyone else does, vote in person on election day.

As a voter who actually lives in California, I can tell you that what Gail L said is spot on.  The reason for increasing the amount of time allowed for mail-in ballots is to INCREASE voter participation.  What you suggested would decrease the participation.  BTW, the actual number of mail-in ballots that are never returned cannot be determined until after Friday.  This means there is actually a higher percentage of the vote counted than you think, we just don't know how much.  The signature matching on the mail-ins is probably the biggest hurdle.  To give you an example, my wife sent in her mail-in ballot very early.  She actually got a message from the Registrar about 10 days ago that her signature did not match.  She had to verify that she was the one who actually sent it in.  States that are actively trying to suppress the vote, would have simply thrown it out.

Also, if this were a "winner take all" election, it would already have been called subject to the final count verification.  However, since the delegates are proportional and there is that magic 15% number to deal with, you need far more of the vote counted (including the ones coming in tomorrow, that will still need to be verified) before you release the number of delegates allotted.

Since this will be determined long before the convention, I don't see a need for speed.

Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

If there's a change between the time you mail in your ballot and election day, tough. If you're worried about that happening, then so what everyone else does, vote in person on election day.

Sorry - You have been OUT VOTED by the VOTERS of CALIFORNIA - this is the way they voted back in 2016 for the California Voter's Choice Act.

CA SOS.gov - Vote by Mail Ballots  

In 2016 California passed the Voter's Choice Act, which allows counties to mail every voter a ballot. Lots of Californians use mail voting, though previously they had to request it. Now ballots arrive automatically, whether voters want one or not.

In March of 2020 we will see 15 counties shifting to all-mail elections under the new Voters Choice Act model — 4.7 million voters in just those counties.

This shift will push the total number of voters being mailed ballots in 2020 to a record 15 million. This is a whopping 50% increase since California’s 2016 primary election.

They actually mailed over 16 Million mail in ballots - as of election day, they had gotten back only about 3 million.  So, that means that as of election eve, they were still awaiting 13 MILLION and these 13 million have until tomorrow to have them in house (post marked by midnight on election night).

They are also attempting to come to a conclusion on EVERY provisional ballot cast. 

They want every eligible voters vote to count and  they have determined that is more important than speed.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Gail, please stop making excuses for California. Every state has the same issues, early voting, mail in ballots, etc. Why can the other states resolve them and compile their totals the same night, but California cannot? It sounds like incompetence and disorganization to me.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Gail, please stop making excuses for California. Every state has the same issues, early voting, mail in ballots, etc. Why can the other states resolve them and compile their totals the same night, but California cannot? It sounds like incompetence and disorganization to me.

California hasn't even received all of the ballots yet. How can you expect instantaneous results when the results haven't even come in yet?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I think you are discounting the # of mail in ballots that California is expecting.

EVERY voter got a mail-in ballot.  In most other states, maybe all, I don't know - a mail-in ballot has to be requested and in certain states a valid reason has to be given.

California knows that mail-in ballots INCREASE voter participation.

VOX 03/03/2020 - We might not know who won the California primary for days or weeks after Super Tues... 

Mail-in and provisional ballots mean that counting votes can take a while.

lots more at the link ~

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Why are so many people saying the choice is between accuracy and speed, and they prefer accuracy? That is a false argument. This is not an either or choice, technology can provide both speed and accuracy. Are they saying the other states results are inaccurate because they provide them a few minutes after the polls close?

Maybe they haven't noticed this is the 21st Century where voting returns in most states, thanks to modern technology, are virtually instantaneous. And the results are dead on accurate. Why are they making so many excuses for California when many of them chastized Iowa for taking 2 days to compile their returns?

It's been over 2 days and only slightly more than 1/2 of the votes are counted. Is it 1920 or 2020?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking 

Then you have stuff like this that happens or comes up and there has to be some decision about it.

VOX -3/03/2020 - What happens to the thousands of early votes cast for candidates who have dropped o... 

California has increasingly encouraged mail-in ballots, a system which has been shown to boost voter turnout, but could also delay vote counting for days or even weeks. Voters in the state have until midnight on election day to mail in their ballots, as long as it is postmarked on or before election day

Maybe all those California mail-in ballots voters were waiting to the last minute so they knew who was gonna drop out.  What other way would they have been assured that the person they were voting for was still on the ballot as of midnite of their primary voting date.

Guess the next thing you will want is "Internet Voting" and the Russians/ Chinese/etc. are probably really waiting for that -

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Why are so many people saying the choice is between accuracy and speed, and they prefer accuracy? That is a false argument. This is not an either or choice, technology can provide both speed and accuracy. Are they saying the other states results are inaccurate because they provide them a few minutes after the polls close?

Maybe they haven't noticed this is the 21st Century where voting returns in most states are instantaneous, thanks to modern technology. And the results are dead on accurate. Why are they making so many excuses for California when many of them chastized Iowa for taking 2 days to compile their returns?

It's been more than 2 days and only slightly more than 1/2 of the votes are counted. Is it 1920 or 2020?

I'm not chastizing any state - they do it the way they want to do it.

How can California be instaneous if they are going to count every last vote even if they come in several days after the official election day?

If they have to review some of the votes because of some type of inconsistancy and they want to get it rectified in order for the vote to actually count, that takes time - one-on-one time.

Reviewing signatures on mail-in ballots.

Registering voters on the same day, takes time to verify if only they verify that they are citizens and are CA residents.

Making sure that individual "A" voted somewhere in the state and not any other place.

Trying to appease some of those 'No Party" voters and getting them the ballot that they wanted even after they didn't go by the rules mailed to them earlier.

When you have this many milliions of voters in one state and you want their vote to count - there is a lot that has to be done almost on a one-to-one basis.

In this regards, accuracy means not only a good count but that you try to help those who might have been confused by something in the process and need to have some clarity and perhaps a do-over.

Speed and technology only works when there is complete sameness.

Soon we will be going door to door, one-on-one asking people if they have voted and if not, give them a chance to do it if they meet the eligibility.

We could do a "fast" census count too - but we will attempt to get to everybody and accomodate them as best we can in order to count them - but "dead-on" accurate - HA, HA.

Honored Social Butterfly

I almost always agree with afisher, but not on this one. There is no excuse in the 21st Century to have only Fifty Something per cent of the ballots counted 2 days after the election. We live in an age of techology where all the votes should be counted within a few hours after the polls close.

There is no excuse for Calfornia. They need someone, or some team, to overhaul their system.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

There is no excuse in the 21st Century to have only Fifty Something per cent of the ballots counted 2 days after the election. We live in an age of techology where all the votes should be counted within a few hours after the polls close.

There is no excuse for Calfornia. They need someone, or some team, to overhaul their system.

Actually, THIS IS California's new overhaul -  I believed approved by the voters in California.

Who said that it had to be a FAST count?  Accuracy is the prime objective.  Ease of Participation is another primary objective.  And since they have loosened up many of the old procedures, it is gonna take time - Like @sp362 said the mail-in ballots only had to be post market by the primary election day (Tuesday 03/03/2020), they still have until this Friday (03/06/2020) to be received and then checked before counting.

Some of the other changes as a result of the California Voter's Choice Act:

This new election model allows voters to choose how, when, and where to cast their ballot by:

• Mailing every voter a ballot
  • Expanding in-person early voting
  • Allowing voters to cast a ballot at any vote center within their county

Same day registration and voting, I think was already in place but it may have come about also from this law.

Don't think there is any type of ID check -

I think the only place where there was some problems/confusion, as @sp362  and I discussed previously, was the misunderstanding of how some "Independent" or "No Party" voters could vote for a primary candidate since California is a closed primary state.  (Bernie may still not like how it got worked out - I am sure he will left the DNC know his feelings )

I read somewhere that the vote count may not be finished until sometimes next week (or perhaps after).  There is still a long way to go in the Primary season.

2020 ELECTION CALENDAR 

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I almost always agree with afisher, but not on this one. There is no excuse in the 21st Century to have only Fifty Something per cent of the ballots counted 2 days after the election. We live in an age of techology where all the votes should be counted within a few hours after the polls close.

There are easy ways to get a quicker tally.  These would include not allowing same day registration, simply throwing away any mail-in ballots where the signatures are not close enough without informing the voters, require that all mail-ins are received by election day and not just mailed by election day, have voting machines transmit their results instead of counting ballots (which would make them susceptible to hacking), not allow provisional ballots, require voters to be registered far in advance of an election, go back to precinct only voting to make it harder to vote, etc.

Since I can not think of an instance where an immediate election result is required (it is not like somebody is removed from office on Tuesday night and is replaced by a new person Wednesday morning) I am for anything that gets more people involved.  If takes longer to count, then so be it.

With 50% of the vote in, we already know Sanders will win.  The exact number of delegates everybody gets, will probably be released next week. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Who the heck is complaining that a system should be fast, to heck with accurate, REALLY?

As a Texas Voter,  we wanted results but also realize that many counties where there were long lines.   In my large county, no results were released until all voter centers had been closed.  

As a reminder:   LA county introduced a new voting system.     Fortunately in my Texas County, we introduced our system during a low turnout election, so that problems could be identified and resolved before this primary.      Anyone who is speculating about CA - is probably not living in CA or is involved in the election process - other than being a voter.   CHILL!

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

I appreciate the explanation from SP362, but it sounds like an idiotic system to me. Come on, the election was 2 days ago and we only have 57% of the balllots counted. This is not how it should work in the 21st Century. 

I don't think it takes a genius to design a system where all the ballots must be tallied within a few hours after the polls close.

Honored Social Butterfly

Another factor, I think to consider, California just like Texas, perhaps for different reasons, reduced the number of   polling sites. Trying to centralize polling sites, which then created long waits to vote. 
This sounds like another example of if it's not broken, don't try to fix it!

Texas might want to consider taking racism out of the voting process. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Please remember that Ca. has over 41 million  in population. I don't doubt that there is a better system but, I guess that they are trying to accumodate all. and that could bring problems.
But you will have to agree that it would have been total chaos is they decided to become a caucus. Now, that type of voting should actual be prohibited.

no name
0 Kudos

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Iowa was blistered by the media after they royally screwed up the first Democratic Primary. But we're now half way through Thursday and we still don't have the final results of the Democratic primary in the most important state. Come on, that was 2 days ago.

Why doesn't the media criticize Calfornia's Democratic Primary, just like they did with Iowa?

California's "slow count" is purposely designed that way in order to allow as many as possible to vote.  Mail-in ballots just had to be postmarked by 3/3.  As long as they are received by 3/6, they will still be counted.  For all mail-in ballots (there are entire precincts that are REQUIRED to vote by mail since they have no polling station), they must verify the signatures match.  If the signatures don't match than the County registrars must contact the voter to let them know and give them a chance to correct it.  There are also provisional ballots and same day voter registrations that must be verified in order to be counted.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png