From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: CVS Caremark will stop selling cigarettes and tobacco products in it's stores by October 1st

Message 41 of 120

Who cares what they choose to sell?  Are they going to quit selling candy and snack foods because someone says they are unhealthy?  Are they going to stop selling cosmetics because they may be bad for your skin?  Are they going to stop selling liquor because it is not good for you?  Maybe they will stop selling drugs because they might not be good for you.  And maybe they should stop selling anything because it is not good for you to spend your money because you may not have enough left over to pay your rent or mortgage and pay for your utilities.  People will find another place to shop.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: CVS Caremark will stop selling cigarettes and tobacco products in it's stores by October 1st

Message 42 of 120

We cannot equate the adverse effects of smoking, alcohol consumption or the use of illicit or recreational drugs in the same realm as we would food. Except for the concern it might cause for people who care about us, the effects of what we eat are pretty much confined to the eater, while smoking, drinking and drugging can and does adversely effect others who also have rights. Like the right not to be effected by the wants, habits and addictions of others.

Yes, everyone has a right to smoke if they want to, but they don't have a right to smoke anywhere they want to or to subject non-smokers, or anyone else for that matter, to their exhaled/used smoke.We all have to use the services of drugstores, grocerystores, medical facilities, etc. as we go about our lives and we certainly have the right to do so. If a fellow shopper feels that he or she is going to die without a smoke, surely that person will live long enough to make it to the outside before having to light up.

CVS has every right to discontinue the sale of tobacco products for whatever reason. As for smoking inside a public facility, it's illegal in my state (Tennessee) and well on it's way toward becoming law nationwide. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 120

Can you imagine how much money they are GIVING away to other businesses? I'll not shop there any more!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 120

I have smoked for over 55 years and have bought cigarettes at CVS for over 30 years. Too bad someone else gets my money!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 120

In Response to Re: CVS Caremark will stop selling cigarettes and tobacco products in it's stores by October 1st:

Restricting rights is never a good thing and even if you hate smoking this is a BAD move for CVS.

I will no long shop there once they start this policy, no one smokes in the store and in a bad way it gives them more business. But as I said once you decide for people you are not going sell something as a public store because you think its bad for people you start down a very slippery slope and I dont want to be part of that.

Next stop selling beer in your stores !

Posted by Hank89

Say Hank, do you prohibit people from smoking pot and shooting up meth and heroin in your house, just because it's your policy in your privately owned building?

Well, gee, it's their building, and their business.   Do you think they will miss you?   Me either.

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 120

In Response to Re: CVS Caremark will stop selling cigarettes and tobacco products in it's stores by October 1st:

Restricting rights is never a good thing and even if you hate smoking this is a BAD move for CVS.

I will no long shop there once they start this policy, no one smokes in the store and in a bad way it gives them more business. But as I said once you decide for people you are not going sell something as a public store because you think its bad for people you start down a very slippery slope and I dont want to be part of that.

Posted by Hank89

I wouldn't worry too much about this starting us down a slippery slope. That started when grocery stores refused to sell automobiles over a 100 years ago.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 120

Restricting rights is a bad thing? How about the right of CVS to choose what they wish to sell? This is a step in the right direction. Junk food is bad and it is up to the consumer as to what they choose and how to spend their money. Hopefully, as time passes, they will become more aware of what they put into their bodies and how it affects their health. Maybe at some time in the future, people will be healthier and not run to the dictor demanding a pill to make them better after abusing their bodies for many years, this is why our healthcare system is in dire straits, What is needed in this country is a sense of responsibility for ourselves and dealing with the consequenses of our behavior, not expecting someone else to do damage control.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 120

Yeaah, I am so glad!  I am all for saving lives.  Cancer is so bad these days!!!!!!!!!!!  I know that you can get cancer other than by smoking; but,  why do something that is harmful to the human body!  Let's not mention second hand smoke!  I don't smoke and I do not appreciate someone else's smoke. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 120

Posted by Hank89

Hi Hank, welcome to the forum.

Who is "restricting anyone's rights"?  Doesn't a company have the "right" to sell or not sell, whatever they choose?  What's the "slippery slope" on this topic?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 120

This must be the training thread....just saying.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views