Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: CONFEDERATE FLAG IS A SYMBOL OF TREASON!

Message 51 of 90

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The fact their grandparents were conned into bleeding and dying so a handful of incredibly rich plantation owners could expand their wealth? 

Have to question why you are still fighting the Civil War when most of us has moved on not only serving our nation, but interested in making it better for the future.  I consider those who keep attempting to denigrate regions of the nation to be as wrong as anyone who encourage racism.

My Civil War ancestors lived on the Tennessee border adjacent to the Kentucky border.  This was in Middle and Eastern parts of the state that actually opposed seceding from the union.  Slavery was minimal in that area.

But after the state seceded marauders came across the Kentucky border looting and in general bent on destruction.  Many from that area formed militia units as a defense against these outlaw Union sympathizers for protection.  Eventually they went in Confederate service.  My great-grandfather was in one of these units.  After the war he became a Deputy United States Marshal in that area enforcing federal laws.

In researching family history there is no record of owning slaves (U.S. Census Slave Schedules).  In fact the family believed that if they couldn't provide a living for themselves, they didn't deserve it.

It appears that you have some sort of problem when it comes to the Southern Region and it's history.  Even typecasting the honest hardworking people of the region of the time period.  Is there a reason?  I've never heard such berating about the region in my life, either in the north or south

Anytime someone from here keeps ranting about that period of time or the region, I wonder if their ancestors were even citizens of the U.S. or if they emigrated after the war.

As a matter of fact there are many Blacks that are members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans which requires an ancestor who served in the Confederate Army.

The mistake a lot of politicians make is forgetting
they've been appointed but thinking they've been anointed.
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 52 of 90

The GOPerLords are in a fopsweat - The "dog whistles" they've used since 1968 to rally their cryptoNazi, White Supremacist base is being exposed and the general population recognizes it for what its always been. The way tRump is handling(sic) the protest movement for racial equality and removal of racist symbols from public places of honor is driving away more voters than it attracts. 

The whole notion of "southern pride" is a sham. What are they proud of? The fact their grandparents were conned into bleeding and dying so a handful of incredibly rich plantation owners could expand their wealth? The fact no matter how bad things got for poor whites in the South, they could always "take very cold comfort" from the fact they were not black? The fact they STILL don't want their kids going to the same school as their black neighbors? The fact that they HAVE black neighbors???

So if it's southern pride, WHAT are they proud of IF NOT THEIR RACIST ROOTS?

Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Message 53 of 90

It's the language of the cancel culture born out of pseudo morality of those who wish to redefine and therefore "transform" America. 

That is the credo of the left,  currently adopted by Joe Biden. We don't need a transformation, to make a "more perfect union". 

We have more in common than what divides us. 

Liberals are nuttier than squirrel poop
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 54 of 90

@Olderscout66 wrote:

What law says that no one cannot fly the Confederate flag?  Or any flag?  .

Fly what  you will on your property, but just be aware the Stars and Bars is a symbol of TREASON AND RACISM, regardless of what YOU might want to convey.

If you're not a Nazi, would you fly a swastika?

If you do not support racism, why would you tell the World you do?

Of course it can mean different things to different people, but basically what you think of it and what others think are up to the individual.  I have never flown that flag, but I have nothing against others flying it if they wish.

There have been many comments here associated with negative regionalism that could be considered inflammatory designed to create dissension.  A majority in my opinion has no relationship to the topic under discussion.

Note that here most of these comments come from those of the liberal persuasion and non-toleration of other's opinions.  There is no doubt that it is part of the Southern heritage, but those continuing to bring it up forget that the region has moved on.  We are Americans first just like those in other regions.  

But apparently like our enemies abroad, some are using regionalism to divide.  I wonder about the motives of those who continually does so.  These are the enemies within that when taking the oath to enter the military was referring to.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 55 of 90

Fly what  you will on your property, but just be aware the Stars and Bars is a symbol of TREASON AND RACISM, regardless of what YOU might want to convey.

If you're not a Nazi, would you fly a swastika?

If you do not support racism, why would you tell the World you do?

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 56 of 90

@afisher wrote:

Thought process.    Let's say, I was against the US seceding from England, do I now get to fly my flag with the same gusto as some who are making "reasons' to fly the Flag of Treason.  

Did the US prosecute any of those in the US at the time that they decided to secede from England.     

the point is that most states in the deep south are in agreement, that they will no longer support the flying of said flag on the Federal Buildings in their State.   

I would believe that there were multiple flags in support when the colonies declared their independence from England.   Of course there was no United States before the Constitution was ratified by the states, but why should the U.S. prosecute anyone flying your flag.

The states has no say in the flag flown on Federal Buildings as they are on federal property.  Do you also have a problem with our Texas flag?  

Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 57 of 90

"Our mission is to defeat Trump and Trumpism"

https://lincolnproject.us/

--------------------------------------------------

What a coincidence! That's my mission,too!

I was going to donate 100 bucks but they're still republicans so I'm sending $50.

91 Days
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 58 of 90

There is no record of Secessionist leaders justifying their Treason on anything but their desire to continue and expand SLAVERY.

After bamboozling the less affluent men and boys of the Old South into fighting and dying to preserve THE SLAVE OWNERS wealth, the Government of the Confederacy enacted special exclusions from military service FOR THOSE WHO OWNED MORE THAN 6 SLAVES.  And while there was a "property tax"  levied in slave owners, the Confederacy was unable to get the slavers to pay the tax and relied instead on taxing the property of the lower classes to finance their war of Treason - how very like modern Republicans.

Bottom line, you can CALL the Stars and Bars a symbol of your veneration of the gentility of antebellum society or your family heritage or anything else you can dream up, but you CANNOT change the FACT it is symbol of Treason and Slavery and has NO PLACE IN 21st CENTURY AMERICA.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 59 of 90

Thought process.    Let's say, I was against the US seceding from England, do I now get to fly my flag with the same gusto as some who are making "reasons' to fly the Flag of Treason.  

Did the US prosecute any of those in the US at the time that they decided to secede from England.     

While I don't personally give two hoots if you fly your own flag of treason, the point is that most states in the deep south are in agreement, that they will no longer support the flying of said flag on the Federal Buildings in their State.   With that, many institutions and businesses have also agreed that the times and demographics have changed and in keeping up with those times,  denigrating a part of the majority-minority group is small minded and will come back to bite them in the behind.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Message 60 of 90

There is none so blind who will not see. 

Liberals are nuttier than squirrel poop
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!

Top Authors