COAL RESERVES- AM I READING THIS RIGHT?

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: COAL RESERVES- AM I READING THIS RIGHT?

Message 21 of 51

Trump wants to open more Federal land to coal leases? That makes no sense.

Many fuels are used to generate electricity. Of those, coal is the most expensive. Because of that cost disadvantage, power plants that use coal to generate electricity are being replaced.  

That has dramatically decreased the worldwide demand for coal.  

Declining demand for coal with an excess of inventory in our country has produced a devastating level of unemployment in our coal mining communities.

So Trump wants to open more Federal land to coal leases. Why? As far as I can tell, that will do nothing to anything. What am I missing?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 51

@easyed598 wrote:

"American Electric Power will modify its generating unit at the Cardinal Plant near Brilliant to run on natural gas by 2030-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------So according to the libs ,we  all  got a good chnce we will all die before the conversion is  done in the next 13 years.(or could it be natural gas is more plentiful and cheaper and not because of pollution)

On of the many mysteries about being a conservative is their inability to plan further than their next paycheck. 

It is true that projects like this are pushed because of economics rather than altruist.  That is as it should be. The issue there is that if we stopped giving an environmental subsidy to dirtier forms of energy like oil and coal, the free market system would take care of the problem quite nicely. However, if I can run a garbage disposal business (coal fired energy production) and dump the garbage into the desert for free (pollution into the atmosphere), I have no incentive to change. 

Why do conservatives keep these informal subsidies?  The bill will be presented past the time they get their next paycheck. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 51

@easyed598 wrote:

"American Electric Power will modify its generating unit at the Cardinal Plant near Brilliant to run on natural gas by 2030-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------So according to the libs ,we  all  got a good chnce we will all die before the conversion is  done in the next 13 years.(or could it be natural gas is more plentiful and cheaper and not because of pollution)

You really should do some research before you post.  Do you think it could be both?  How much money do you think they have to spend to try to clean up coal so extra costs are minimized in the future?   One thing you left out of your cherry-picked comment:  AEP will develop at least 900 megawatts of wind and solar energy projects in Ohio over the next five years – enough to power about 900,000 homes.  This means we will start the first benefits of this program by 2020/21.  Also, it will take 13 years to convert, because they are not doing the entire plant at the same time, they will NOT be 100% coal in 2029 and 100% natural gas in 2030.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 51

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 51

@easyed598 wrote:

Just like a lib -posted a link  to prove a point  that is 10 years old about coal fire  power plants  disregarding all the improvements that have been made. If you want to use this  outdated info as recent ,can we then blame Obama for allowing this to happen seeing Trump has been President for only 2 months?

I am sorry that I am not a sheep that just blindly follows the flock and actually tries to use facts to form my opinion.  The article is an in depth study of power plant pollution.  This type of in depth study would not be done yearly.  You do realize that the census is taken once every 10 years and that data is used until the next census is taken?

Do you realize that the Cardinal plant was built well before 2007 and in fact, 2007 the year the study on pollution was done is the year when the scrubbers were installed.  In 2009 they were 24th on the list in terms of coal waste.

If anything, they have moved up the list from #61 as the older more polluting power plants (such as the Navajo plant in Arizona are closed.

You are trying to shove alternate facts about how clean the Cardinal Power plant is, when that is simply not true. 

What do you have to refute my point about the cost of future clean-ups?  What about the fact that glaciers are in retreat.

What you have done with your response is the insult and divert attempt.  One of the oldest tricks in the book.

In fact, your "clean" power plant is converting to natural gas.  Some quotes from an article in The Intelligencer from Wheeling West Virginia in December of 2015:

1. "American Electric Power will modify its generating unit at the Cardinal Plant near Brilliant to run on natural gas by 2030, continuing the company’s shift away from burning coal to comply with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency standards."  "Furthermore, according to a deal with the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, AEP will develop at least 900 megawatts of wind and solar energy projects in Ohio over the next five years – enough to power about 900,000 homes.     http://www.theintelligencer.net/news/top-headlines/2015/12/aep-cardinal-plant-in-brilliant-will-be-c...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 51

Albion posted--This is the oldest and most predictable tactic conservatives have - when you can't refute what a person is saying, attack the person.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Then what do you say when one  of the lib poster here(C****y) posted that if something questionable is posted here then it is up Republicans to prove that  it is untrue? This was just yesterday. This gave the impression that whatever the left post here it must be true.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 51

Just like a lib -posted a link  to prove a point  that is 10 years old about coal fire  power plants  disregarding all the improvements that have been made. If you want to use this  outdated info as recent ,can we then blame Obama for allowing this to happen seeing Trump has been President for only 2 months?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 51

The glaciers are definitely melting. there are whole towns that have had to leave because their homes were built on permafrost,which is now gone.  Unlike in trumps world not everything is fake news and not everything is a conspiracy theory.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 51

This is the oldest and most predictable tactic conservatives have - when you can't refute what a person is saying, attack the person.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 51

Myexper- I once went on a tour of sea world, where we were told that the bent over dorsal fin of the adult male whale was natural. of course, when BLACKFISH came out, we all found out that it is not natural.   In the wild, a bent over doral fin is a sign of depression.

I think it's obvious that anytime anyone takes a tour, the entity providing the tour puts the best face on whatever it is he, she, or it is selling.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors