Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: COAL Industry is dying.

Message 1 of 5

From my little corner of the world:   

SAN ANTONIO— On Saturday, December 15, the Climate Action SA coalition will host a party to celebrate the upcoming closure of the J.T. “Dirty” Deely coal-fired power plant. Deely is one of two coal plants owned and operated by CPS Energy in San Antonio and is a major source of harmful air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.

In 2011, CPS Energy agreed to shut down Deely by 2018 and the public utility has pledged to make good on that promise by December 31, 2018.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

The coal industry has huge disadvantages in the energy produced per energy consumed to do so.  From the miners' point of view, they are losing jobs to mechanization faster than almost any other industry. Mining has always been dirty and dangerous work. Machines are now capable of replacing almost all the human miners at lower costs and higher production. 

In short, Trump did not understand the economic and technical drivers of change in the coal industry. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

I suspect that the meme from RW will only look at WV and totally ignore they WY bankruptcy.   While most intelligent people have learned that WY coal is a higher quality coal and when those companies attempt the same bait / switch bankruptcy gambit, courts in the West are not playing stupid.

Meanwhile, CA is passing legislation that will demand that new  homes construction incorporate Solar in their design.   ( 2020)   https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/california-clears-final-hurdle-for-state-solar-mandate-for-new-homes...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

COAL Industry is dying.

Message 4 of 5

I wonder what coal miners are thinking in terms of Trump's campaign promise to bring back coal jobs? My guess is just like most Trump Cult members, they'll probably blame Hillary or President Obama. 

By the way, unlike Trump, China has a strategic plan for the 21st Century. They are going to kick our butts.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

COAL Industry is dying.

Message 5 of 5

The US use of coal has reached  its lowest level since 1979.    So all the balley-hooing that Donald is going to revive coal industry was a wet-dream only. 

The Energy Information Administration says coal consumption by the country's power grid will end the year down 4 percent, and fall another 8 percent in 2019.

Coal's continuing slump comes despite Trump policy efforts to prop up the industry. That includes scrapping Obama's signature Clean Power Plan that would have spurred electrical suppliers to turn away from coal-fired power plants in favor of cleaner forms of energy such as natural gas.

Trump "talks tough to the coal miners to get their support, but he doesn't deliver for them, and I don't think that he can, because the markets are bigger than him," said Joe Pizarchik, who directed the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement in the Obama administration.

Pizarchik, now a consultant on water quality and reforestation, said lower prices for natural gas and renewables will continue to drive down demand for coal, despite deregulation efforts by the Trump administration.

Ironically, the new tax law approved by the Republican-controlled Congress has encouraged coal plants to close, as utilities use a provision that allows them to accelerate depreciation costs for closing plants

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article222608380.html

DOE guy:  Rick Perry went to NPC and was pushing for Nat. Gas in "coal country".        oh my!

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors