From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: CMS Announces 2018 Part A and Part B Premiums and Deductibles

Message 11 of 18

@cherbul wrote:
Some 2018 increase - 29.00 of which 25.00 went to Part B

Hence a whopping $4 increase. Not even enough for one cup of coffee.

Way to go guys.

Disgraceful!

Have you seen what higher income seniors are paying for their Part B And D premiums - The Income Related Medicare Monthly Adjustment -IRMMA

Same benefits just with a much higher premium because they are covering a higher percentage of the overall cost of the Part B and D Medicare cost.

Right now most everybody pays premiums that represent about 25% of the overall cost of Part B with higher incomes paying percentages much higher.

When Medicare Part B 1st began, the premiums were set to cover 50% of the overall cost of Part B.

Who pays the rest - why, the rest of the taxpayers in the country, pays it - it is paid out of our general fund - so the higher medical cost, the more we use the Part B system - rationally or frivolously - we will all pay a higher premium amount as long as the COLA covers those held harmless.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18
Fool me once shame on you

Fool me twice shame on me.

Sad state of America has fallen so low.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18
Some 2018 increase - 29.00 of which 25.00 went to Part B

Hence a whopping $4 increase. Not even enough for one cup of coffee.

Way to go guys.

Disgraceful!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

I expect a flood of 'feel good' propaganda both before and after Congressional action.  The intent?  Why to make you think everything is okey-dokey because it didn't hit 'you' in the pocket...not right now, anyway. A right out front, cynical appeal to your self-interest without concern for the long term. Seems to me you already hear that 'drumbeat'.  Now all you have to do is dance to it.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

Olderscout66 wrote:

But if either of the Republican schemes for tax reform pass, a minimum of 13 million to as many as 35 Million Americans who now have Health Insurance will NOT have it, but will still get sick and injured, leaving those of us who HAVE insurance to pay their bills, which will mean your premiums will probably double next year.

The Republicans are going to kill Obamacare AND Medicare with the same magic bullet - what they call "tax reform". This will get that last dribble of wealth left in the Middle Class to migrate into the pockets of the ones who own the health care Corporations - the Oligarchs who own the GOP.

Using my own experience - a survey of one Smiley Happy - I agree it does seem all of us will have to pay the bills.

The PIP (medical) portion of my auto insurance has really escalated in 2017: a 45% increase versus a year ago.  Only reason that makes sense for that to happen, when my other auto coverages have been consistent with overall inflation, is the health-insurance industry's lack of stability.  And that's certainly caused by the GOP.  

Next concern for me is the 2018 premium-increase of my Medicare Supplement plan.  Whatever happens to the basic Medicare premium that's deducted from one's Social Security benefit, will not protect seniors completely from health-insurance, inflation.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

@Olderscout66 wrote:

But if either of the Republican schemes for tax reform pass, a minimum of 13 million to as many as 35 Million Americans who now have Health Insurance will NOT have it, but will still get sick and injured, leaving those of us who HAVE insurance to pay their bills, which will mean your premiums will probably double next year.

The Republicans are going to kill Obamacare AND Medicare with the same magic bullet - what they call "tax reform". This will get that last dribble of wealth left in the Middle Class to migrate into the pockets of the ones who own the health care Corporations - the Oligarchs who own the GOP.

You know as well as I that Medicare Part B is self-contained and the prices which are paid for services covered under Part B are controlled by Medicare.

To control cost further in a system that is already cost controlled by price is gonna have to rely on other means - and CMS almost daily publishes proposed rules to this effect and more are in the pipeline.

Soon beneficiaries will begin to have more and more services performed on an outpatient basis as long as their doctors agree - knee replacements are one of those being considered.

Doing  away with Medigap plans that cover 1st dollar has already began - Plans F and C, I think, will no longer be sold beginning in 2020 is another way to contain useage and thus, cost.

Tax Reform is a long way to conclusion - there are lots of differences in the House plan and what the Senate has thus far.  

I don't see the doom and gloom in Medicare from tax reform - in fact depending upon what is the conclusion, perhaps it will extend the date of insolvency which I think according to the 2017 Trustee Report is about 2029 - not so far away.

Action sooner rather than later will give us a chance to keep the whatever changes more reasonable rather than waiting until emergency action is needed.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

CMS Announces 2018 Part A and Part B Premiums and Deductibles

Message 18 of 18

The standard monthly premium for Medicare Part B enrollees will be $134 for 2018, the same amount as in 2017. Some beneficiaries who were held harmless against Part B premium increases in prior years will have a Part B premium increase in 2018, but the premium increase will be offset by the increase in their Social Security benefits next year.

Read the rest at the link

Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services Press Release November 17,2017

Easy Come, Easy Go . . . . . . . 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors