From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: CMS Announces 2018 Part A and Part B Premiums and Deductibles

Message 1 of 18

" Easy come easy go " I remember Gail , when you defended a major healthcare company rewarding it's CEO a $201 MILLION Dollar Bonus after he raised our rates , cut services and fired hundreds of employees.

With all due respect , that spoke volumes to me regarding who you are really concerned for.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18

@GailL1 wrote:

You

have a funny way of describing your benefit / your money.

And  Gail  you also have a funny way of describing what are my benefits and my money.
My benefits have been paid by me. I don't recall you paying any of them.
As far as   the way that  I happen to file my taxes and how I deal with my taxes, don't you think that is out of the realm of your opinion and responsibility?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

@rker321 wrote:

Gail   are you serious? 

MY Medicare premium  for  2018  will be 126.    and my husband's premium will be 136  and I guess you are not counting that we pay taxes on our SS benefits.  our checks will be smaller with the kind of deduction that we are seeing right now. 
and to top it off.

If the Tax reform passes as is.  would you like to know how much more in taxes I will be paying or do you think that I am making any of this up?

I believe your husband's premium will be $ 134 not $ 136 - $ 134 is the set amount for 2017 and 2018 - since you are only paying $ 126 based on your SS benefit and the hold harmless clasue, maybe they will get you up to the maximum for most people at the next COLA. 

Why do you pay taxes on your SS benefit before you do your taxes?  Mine is always computed at tax time and I just make an estimated payment for what it will be during the year.   You let the government use your own money for a whole year?  Not me, never a refund - usually have to pay a bit but not much since I pay in some estimates to avoid any under payment penalty - but just enought to avoid the penalty, not a penny more.  I can manage my money better than the government..

But hey, based on what your accountant tells you about any tax reform that might get passed this year - you might be able to revise your amount of taxes held out - to your benefit.

Remember you still have to deal with the 10% of AGI instead of the 7.5% of AGI limit on Medical and Dental deductions that is happening to seniors on their 2017 (tax year) taxes.  That is a given - Thank You, Obamacare !

You have a funny way of describing your benefit / your money.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

Gail   are you serious? 

MY Medicare premium  for  2018  will be 126.    and my husband's premium will be 136  and I guess you are not counting that we pay taxes on our SS benefits.  our checks will be smaller with the kind of deduction that we are seeing right now. 
and to top it off.

If the Tax reform passes as is.  would you like to know how much more in taxes I will be paying or do you think that I am making any of this up?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18

@rker321 wrote:

Nothappening I sincerely hope that my news makes you jump and down with joy.

Between my husband and myself. we will be paying to Medicare 280.00 dollars in premiums to Medicare. and we are middle class seniors. not rich people and guess what, contrary to what Gail has stated.  Both my SS checks will be lower thanks to any of this. and if the Tax cuts come down as they have said. we will suffer a hell of an increase in our taxes.
So jump for joy and continue to be against the middle class seniors that as always will get screwed  and nobody is paying attention.

Just for figuring sake -

Let's say your 2017 SS benefit, just for you, is $ 1320.00 per month.  I believe you said you were paying $108 per month now for Part B - so you are gettin a SS benefit each month in 2017 for $ 1212.00.

Add in a COLA of 2% to your current benefit and now your benefit for 2018 is

$ 1346.00 less your new Part B premium of $ 134 - that is still netting you the same amount in 2018 in your SS benefit - $ 1212.00 - same as 2017.

Put in your real numbers and it should still show no decrease in your benefit from 2017 to 2018

If you have something else deducted from your SS benefit, like your Part D premium, that's just a personal option as to how you want your premiums paid - and doesn't relate to this discussion.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

Nothappening I sincerely hope that my news makes you jump and down with joy.

Between my husband and myself. we will be paying to Medicare 280.00 dollars in premiums to Medicare. and we are middle class seniors. not rich people and guess what, contrary to what Gail has stated.  Both my SS checks will be lower thanks to any of this. and if the Tax cuts come down as they have said. we will suffer a hell of an increase in our taxes.
So jump for joy and continue to be against the middle class seniors that as always will get screwed  and nobody is paying attention.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18

@GailL1 wrote:

@cherbul wrote:
Some 2018 increase - 29.00 of which 25.00 went to Part B

Hence a whopping $4 increase. Not even enough for one cup of coffee.

Way to go guys.

Disgraceful!

Have you seen what higher income seniors are paying for their Part B And D premiums - The Income Related Medicare Monthly Adjustment -IRMMA

Same benefits just with a much higher premium because they are covering a higher percentage of the overall cost of the Part B and D Medicare cost.

Right now most everybody pays premiums that represent about 25% of the overall cost of Part B with higher incomes paying percentages much higher.

When Medicare Part B 1st began, the premiums were set to cover 50% of the overall cost of Part B.

Who pays the rest - why, the rest of the taxpayers in the country, pays it - it is paid out of our general fund - so the higher medical cost, the more we use the Part B system - rationally or frivolously - we will all pay a higher premium amount as long as the COLA covers those held harmless.

Quite correct. Here are the additional premiums paid by high earners for part B:

If you have a high income while you're on Medicare, you'll also have to pay an additional amount for your Part B premiums, as seen below:

For individuals with this income

Or joint filers with this income

Add this amount to Medicare premiums

Resulting in this total monthly premium

Single                                Married                     Add   Total

$85,000 to $107,000

$170,000 to $214,000

$53.50

$187.50

$107,000 to $133,500

$214,000 to $267,000

$133.90

$267.90

$133,500 to $160,000

$267,000 to $320,000

$214.30

$348.30

Over $160,000

Over $320,000

$294.60

$428.60

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18

@GailL1 wrote:

The standard monthly premium for Medicare Part B enrollees will be $134 for 2018, the same amount as in 2017. Some beneficiaries who were held harmless against Part B premium increases in prior years will have a Part B premium increase in 2018, but the premium increase will be offset by the increase in their Social Security benefits next year.

Read the rest at the link

Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services Press Release November 17,2017

Easy Come, Easy Go . . . . . . . 

Really Gail?  so what they give me with one hand they take out with the other?  and you approve of that? Seniors depend on an increase in their SS checks, and not be eaten by Medicare deductions. if they really wanted to help the seniors instead of 2% cola they should have given us 4% Cola so that senior would see a little of a relief in their income. 

But I guess you don't see that. it must be nice  not to need a little relief.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18

@MIseker wrote:

Related..i saw today wages are not rising as fast as profits..companies are pocketing it. Of course, Trup said this would not happen. Most of this country is working class, and for the life of me i dont understand why or how they can support R policies. Cut your OT, stifle your raises, more hours for less, take or charge more for health care. Its called wage slavery.

You are forgetting perhaps an increase in benefits rather than in wages.  Perhaps the employer is paying more in addition to the employee for health care benefits.  Remember these aren't taxed for the employer or the employee so why not give it to them there rather than in real wages, it helps the employee and the bottom line.

Where I live, the local government is subsidizing local housing for firemen and policemen (and women).  Trying to solve a couple of problems with the same benefit.  I have no idea how this sort of bartering is reported to the BOL for their stats but it should be considered a value added benefit in lieu of wages - don't know if it is taxed either.

But everytime an employer does this faux wage sort of thing, unless it is considered earning, we know we don't get payroll taxes paid on it.  

Everything given in the place of earnings should be counted as earning for tax consequences, IMO, even unemployment insurance paid by the employer for workers should be included in earnings cause it is being paid for the benefit of the employee.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18

@umbarch64 wrote:

I expect a flood of 'feel good' propaganda both before and after Congressional action.  The intent?  Why to make you think everything is okey-dokey because it didn't hit 'you' in the pocket...not right now, anyway. A right out front, cynical appeal to your self-interest without concern for the long term. Seems to me you already hear that 'drumbeat'.  Now all you have to do is dance to it.

Related..i saw today wages are not rising as fast as profits..companies are pocketing it. Of course, Trup said this would not happen. Most of this country is working class, and for the life of me i dont understand why or how they can support R policies. Cut your OT, stifle your raises, more hours for less, take or charge more for health care. Its called wage slavery.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors