Social Butterfly

CAN I DRIVE A FULLY LOADED TANK DOWN FIFTH AVENUE?

Am I protected to do that under the second amendment, or is there a restriction on which weapons I chose to bear or buy? 

Can I drive my kid to school in one?

Why not? If the second amendment is all inclusive to any dangerous weapon like a semi automatics.

Can i teach my kids how to use a hand grenade? Or are there protections on the sale of those?

Can I use a semi automatic rifle to shoot deer?  Why not?

Because we already have restrictions on gun and arm use, so more limitations on unsafe weapons are not going to hurt anyone except the manufacturers of unsafe weapons deemed not fit for the public use.

Otherwise, I want the US govenment to sell me a tank. 

Honored Social Butterfly

CAN I DRIVE A FULLY LOADED TANK DOWN FIFTH AVENUE?

Only if you're Donald Trump and shoot somebody with it!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Taking it to the limit again.  Extremists want to take the second amendment to extreme limits. Geez, I'm surprised that someone here doesn't want the latest fully armed fighter jet. The second amendment was written when firearms had small firing capacities and they had not envisioned semi automatic and automatics with large magazine capacities. Another thing ........... the words "in order to maintain a well regulated militia" is forgotten in today's support of the second amendment.

I have no problem with firearms, I own some. However, the second amendment does not say that regulations cannot be placed on firearms. Limiting the ability of rapid fire and magazine capacities are within the confines of Constitutional Law. Anyone needing an AR-15 with a 40 round clip to hunt and kill an animal needs to give up on hunting, a firearm like that is not safe in their hands.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Taking it to the limit again.  Extremists want to take the second amendment to extreme limits. Geez, I'm surprised that someone here doesn't want the latest fully armed fighter jet. The second amendment was written when firearms had small firing capacities and they had not envisioned semi automatic and automatics with large magazine capacities. Another thing ........... the words "in order to maintain a well regulated militia" is forgotten in today's support of the second amendment.

I have no problem with firearms, I own some. However, the second amendment does not say that regulations cannot be placed on firearms. Limiting the ability of rapid fire and magazine capacities are within the confines of Constitutional Law. Anyone needing an AR-15 with a 40 round clip to hunt and kill an animal needs to give up on hunting, a firearm like that is not safe in their hands.

2nd amendment never mentions firearms, however it mentions 'arms', a broad yet well define term. I explaind in post #2

Your argument is tired, old and is based on what CNN publishes. Magazine size/capacity has nothing to do with safety. Magazine size has nothing to do with hunting. Magazine size has multiple reasons, none of which you'd probably accept, number one is defense.  

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

PhilipT:  Am I protected to do that under the second amendment, or is there a restriction on which weapons I chose to bear or buy? 

This guy tried it and it didn't work out for him. Some people seem to think that their interpretation of their constitutional rights is the only one that matters.

From The Vault: John Coyne drove tank on street, fought for personal liberty, killed man in process

https://www.wcpo.com/news/our-community/from-the-vault/from-the-vault-john-coyne-fought-for-personal...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

50 years ago.... is that still relevant? World War II tank he defiantly drove on the streets of Clermont and Hamilton counties in the 1970s.

@Panjandrum wrote:

PhilipT:  Am I protected to do that under the second amendment, or is there a restriction on which weapons I chose to bear or buy? 

This guy tried it and it didn't work out for him. Some people seem to think that their interpretation of their constitutional rights is the only one that matters.

From The Vault: John Coyne drove tank on street, fought for personal liberty, killed man in process

https://www.wcpo.com/news/our-community/from-the-vault/from-the-vault-john-coyne-fought-for-personal...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Fishslayer:  50 years ago.... is that still relevant? World War II tank he defiantly drove on the streets of Clermont and Hamilton counties in the 1970s.

Do you think the outcome would be any different now? I don't.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

YES... You can drive a tank with rubber tracks, that is not armed, in a parade,  and that has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@PhilipT605548 wrote:

Can I use a semi automatic rifle to shoot deer?  Why not?

Most states YOU can use any semi automatic rifle to hunt (deer).  If you live in a so called blue state, maybe NOT because they want to restrict your 2nd Amendment rights!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The right to bear "arms".... arms has a historical application and understanding.  Arms is/can be  many different weapons, but 'generally' it refers to defensive weapons that can be carried. 

An obtuse person wanting to argue would probably  say.... "well what about a rocket propelled grenade"? The informed person would respond,  the weapon was originally designed as an offensive weapon,  however design alone, does not preclude how a weapon is used. A flare gun can be used as a offensive weapon, but that wasn't the intent. In addition 'arms' also refers to commonly used weapons of the day. .. swords for example. In our world today a common weapon is a rifle, semi automatic rife, shotgun, hand gun, knife, pepper spray, tasers,  bow and arrow, crossbow, etc. 

That's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say guns, muskets or any specific weapon.  

I am CWP holder. NRA member. Active hunter/shooter and openly support the second amendment. For the record, CWP holders as a defined group, have the lowest crime rate of ANY group ... including law enforcement. 

Easy to look up.... but I here to help with any question you need help with. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png