Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Budget Deal - Changes to Medicare Part I - Medicare Advantage Long-Term Support and Services

Message 1 of 6

In 2020, seniors will look at their Medicare insurance plans and vote accordingly.  If the plans are much better than under Obama, Trump will say, "If you vote for my opponent, you will lose your great Medicare insurance plans."  And, all the rest will be forgiven.   

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Budget Deal - Changes to Medicare Part I - Medicare Advantage Long-Term Support and Services

Message 2 of 6

mandm84 wrote:

Looks good ?  Bottom line - $554 BILLION CUT FROM MEDICARE how does that look good ?

Agreed.  All is super confusing IMO.  CNBC this AM mentions that Trump's budget proposal includes a $237 billion cut to Medicare.  I don't know if that's on top of the $554 Billion you mention or a different expression of the same cuts.  (The proposal also includes Medicaid cuts and another effort to repeal Obamacare.)

Then Gail's post talks about increased services for MA beneficiaries but not for regular Medicare.  Why favor MA which is already causing regular Medicare beneficiaries to pay mandatory higher premiums?  Is it to continue using privatization as the long-term mechanization for destroying Medicare?

Even for MA beneficiaries is this "benefit" the same as the tax scam?   A little benefit now but a lot of pain later as their premiums rise?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/12/trump-budget-calls-for-renewed-effort-to-gut-obamacare.html

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

Looks good ?  Bottom line - $554 BILLION CUT FROM MEDICARE how does that look good ?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Here are more details:

US Senate - CHRONIC Care Legislation Improves Care for Medicare Beneficiaries

Howard gledkman 10/2017 - A Step Down The Road To Better Medicare For Those With Chronic Disease

This legislation passed the Senate in 2017 with unanimous bipartisan Senate approval and now it has passed the House within the Budget legislation.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

All of  this looks good at least on paper, we really need to see more and know more about all of this.
At least they recognize the need for better health care for seniors.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Budget Deal - Changes to Medicare Part I - Medicare Advantage Long-Term Support and Services

Message 6 of 6

Thought I would list these changes separately so that any discussion could be focused on specific changes. 

Part I - Medicare Advantage Long-Term Support and Services

The huge two-year budget agreement reached last week will, for the first time, allow Medicare to pay for some long-term supports and services. Medicare managed-care plans, called Medicare Advantage (MA), can now include nonmedical services, such as home-delivered meals or rides to a doctor, in their benefit packages.

It may also set the stage for raising Medicare premiums for high-income seniors and reduce funding for a public health program aimed at addressing conditions such as diabetes, and heart disease.

And while it seems at first glance to create some new benefits for seniors, it also sharply increases the federal budget deficit.

The biggest immediate changes, however, were included in a bill called the  Creating High-Quality Results and Outcomes Necessary to Improve Chronic  Care (CHRONIC) Act of 2017. That bipartisan bill passed the Senate last October and was added to the big budget bill this week.

It not only allows managed-care organizations to include social supports in their benefit packages, it also lets them tailor benefits to the specific needs of their enrollees. Before the change, the plans had to provide the same benefits to all.

This new flexibility will give case managers more options in designing care plans for participants and allow plans to experiment by offering the benefits in some geographic locations and not in others.

Until now, Medicare has not paid for long-term supports and services, though many consumers think it does. The bill allows MA plans to add those benefits but does not change the rules for traditional fee-for-service Medicare. Currently, about 30 percent of beneficiaries are enrolled in managed care.

The Trump Administration has already begun drafting regulations to implement the law. However, it may be some time before the change has widespread impact.

Plans must still figure out what benefits to offer. And since the vast majority of MA enrollees are relatively young and healthy, it may be some years before they take advantage of the services in large numbers. But the idea has the potential to refocus Medicare on the needs of those with chronic disease.

The plans, consumer advocates and others will be watching closely to see whether the new benefits reduce overall medical costs, which is the theory behind the new law. They’ll also be watching to see if it drives more seniors to join managed care. MA provides a wider range of benefits at a lower price than traditional Medicare though plans also limit the ability of seniors to choose providers and may deny coverage for services they  deem unnecessary.

One other question: Will the new benefit encourage older and sicker seniors to shift to managed care? That could raise MA premiums, making the plans less attractive.

Forbes 02/09/2018 (Opinion) by Howard Gleckman - Massive Budget Deal Makes Big Medicare Changes

Other sources say (NYT)  that this is a conglomeration of pilot programs used to test the feasibility of the action.  NYT 02/08/2018 - What’s Hidden in the Senate Spending Bill?

The bill expands pilot programs meant to test the value of in-home care for some Medicare patients.

I will try to post Part II of the changes to Medicare ASAP.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Replies