Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Brett Kavanaugh's Hearing Is a Gilded-Age Farce

Message 1 of 2

@gruffstuffsaid:
Chuck Grassley, who has stayed too long at the fair. He claimed, spectacularly, that his staff had read all 42,000 pages "since 11 0'clock last night."

I have a high tolerance for the absurd in politics. But the only way a staff could read 42,000 pages in 10 hours is if they threw 39,987 of them into a furnace. If Grassley is willing to say that in public, and to stand by it when Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island, about whom more anon, pointedly remarked that the whole notion was "superhuman," was proof enough that this whole exercise was even more futile and worthless than it looked to be when Kavanaugh was first nominated. Once I had come to that conclusion, I was free to let my mind wander in any direction.

It is really scary he/they can look you in the face and lie, I guess the old guy has had a lot of practice. over the years.
He forgets Dem. are not as stupid and gullible as The Donald/they think we are.

Again, the Little Bully in the playground has to win, so he ties the hands of his opponents. GOD I really wonder many times reading some threads, just what did his parents do to screws this guy up so much.

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Brett Kavanaugh's Hearing Is a Gilded-Age Farce

Message 2 of 2

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a22985659/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-confirmation-...

Brett Kavanaugh's Hearing Is a Gilded-Age Farce and an Affront to the American Republic

This "process" is a watershed for our budding plutocracy.

WASHINGTON—Once you decide something is a low and very predictable farce, this job becomes very easy to do. It has been clear for weeks now that Brett Kavanaugh has the votes in the rejiggered Senate confirmation process, and barring an untimely visit by the nominee to a D.C. crackhouse between now and the eventual Senate vote, he will be on the Supreme Court likely long after I'm dead.

But, until the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings into Kavanaugh's nomination opened on Tuesday, I was willing to give at least a modicum of respect for the form of the process anyway. And, hell, there's entertainment value in Hamlet even though you know he ends up dead. (This principle also applies to professional wrestling.) Then Chuck Grassley, the committee chairman, opened the hearings, and all of that went sailing out the window and was last seen over the Netherlands Antilles.

With dozens of protesters howling in the gallery, the Democratic members of the committee wouldn't let Grassley get the hearing started. Mainly, they were angry that, on Monday night, late, the White House dumped 42,000 pages on the committee. This, of course, to the rational mind, would prevent anyone from adequately studying these documents for the purposes of using them in a considered opinion regarding a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court. However, we are not talking about a rational mind. We are talking about Chuck Grassley, who has stayed too long at the fair. He claimed, spectacularly, that his staff had read all 42,000 pages "since 11 0'clock last night."

I have a high tolerance for the absurd in politics. But the only way a staff could read 42,000 pages in 10 hours is if they threw 39,987 of them into a furnace. If Grassley is willing to say that in public, and to stand by it when Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island, about whom more anon, pointedly remarked that the whole notion was "superhuman," was proof enough that this whole exercise was even more futile and worthless than it looked to be when Kavanaugh was first nominated. Once I had come to that conclusion, I was free to let my mind wander in any direction.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors