Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Brazil's Murder Rate is 448% Higher than U.S.A.'s Despite Stricter Gun Laws

Message 1 of 18

Last year I attended a LGBT commemoration for the murdered transsexuals throughout the world. Guess what country by far led the pack in slaughtering transsexuals? Brazil.

schlomo
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18

@aruzinskywrote:

That proves that there are more important variables controlling murder rates than gun laws. Thus, certain people, who just fell off of the turnip truck, should address this phenomenon instead of yelling for stricter gun laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Brazil

https://newstalk1130.iheart.com/featured/common-sense-central/content/2018-02-21-what-brazil-can-tea...

Anybody can write anything on wikipedia but I am belly laughing that you are using iheart radio as a source.

Iheart Media is defaulting on its debts....has declared bankruptcy...... and is doing anything it can to draw listeners.

I wouldn't believe ONE WORD emanating from this loser company.

Its stock is 43 pennies a share for god's sake.

Why don't you use more legitimate sources rather than sources that obviously have an agenda?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

And the U.S. still has the highest rate of gun violence in the world because of lax gun laws.  Such a stupid post. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

mImage result for mass murder rates by country

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18

@aruzinskywrote:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate ,

Homocide by gun:

USA - 3.5/100,000

Brazil - 20.7/100,000

Therefore, Brazil's murder by gun rate is 491% higher than the U.S.A.'s.  Thus, I inadvertantly did Oldscout a favor by using the murder rate in the title. 

If you knew you were going to be murdered but you could choose the method, would you choose?:

1. guns shot to the head

2. knife cut to the throat

3. baseball bat to the head

4. rat poison

5. strangled

I would pick 1.  Under the theory that, if someone wants to kill you, they will, I prefer that they have a gun.  As for mass murder versus isolated murder, if the probabilities are the same, why should I care? 

Tell us why in 5 words.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

@aruzinskywrote:

@creppelrmwrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

Once again the NRAGOP tries to lie with numbers in defense of their indefensible  support of slaughtering school children and other innocents.

1. Brazil's homicide by gun rate is 20.85/100,000 and the US is 10.9/100,000, or 91% higher, NOT 448%.

2. Brazil is a developing country, much like the US 100 years ago and with a similar homicide rate to what we had 100 years ago.

3. Homicides in the EU are totally distorted by a single maniac who the NRAGOP would gladly re-arm should he immigrate to the States as a highly desirable Norwegean. Eliminate that single killer of 77 and the US figures for gun homicide are 300% of the EU.

The problem is not just guns, its the type and availability of guns. Not only does the NRAGOP support the slaughter of 15,000 Americans by homicide each year, they gleefully support another 15,000 dying by suicide that is made infinatily more certain when a gun is used. Converting existing semi-auto weapons so they can only fire once before manually operating the reload sequence and only fire 8 times before reloading will cut the homicide rate in half and make mass murder the very rare event it was BEFORE the NRAGOP flooded the streets with military weaponry in the name of higher profits for the Death Merchants.

Stop the slaughter - Stop the NRAGOP in November.

The NRAGOP are also comparing the Greatest Nation in the World the U.S.  with a Third World country, Brazil.

"Third world country" is the liberal's synonym for **bleep** hole country."

According to this, Brazil is not on the UN's list of **bleep** hole countries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1xBpBaBbrA

https://www.un.org/development/desa/dpad/wp-content/uploads/sites/45/publication/ldc_list.pdf 

Brazil may be one of the NRAGOPs **bleep** countries, but it's a combination of fantastic modern cities, surrounded by horrific slums and a "rural" area that is very like the American west and mid-west in the 1920's - dirt roads, indoor pluming, small towns - and today with wifi and cellphones. In the gold fields you get the Wild West of the 1880's...with wifi and cellphones and if you take a trek up the Amazon, you've got Brazil that Teddy Roosevelt visited....with poor wifi and spotty cellphone coverage.

Point being, referencing statistics from Brazil is just part of the false narrative the NRAGOP try to paint when they bring up other countries to justify their arming of those who slaughter our kids in school and on the street.

BAN SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPONS THAT CAN FIRE MORE THAN 8 TIMES BEFORE RELOADING.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18

@creppelrmwrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

Once again the NRAGOP tries to lie with numbers in defense of their indefensible  support of slaughtering school children and other innocents.

1. Brazil's homicide by gun rate is 20.85/100,000 and the US is 10.9/100,000, or 91% higher, NOT 448%.

2. Brazil is a developing country, much like the US 100 years ago and with a similar homicide rate to what we had 100 years ago.

3. Homicides in the EU are totally distorted by a single maniac who the NRAGOP would gladly re-arm should he immigrate to the States as a highly desirable Norwegean. Eliminate that single killer of 77 and the US figures for gun homicide are 300% of the EU.

The problem is not just guns, its the type and availability of guns. Not only does the NRAGOP support the slaughter of 15,000 Americans by homicide each year, they gleefully support another 15,000 dying by suicide that is made infinatily more certain when a gun is used. Converting existing semi-auto weapons so they can only fire once before manually operating the reload sequence and only fire 8 times before reloading will cut the homicide rate in half and make mass murder the very rare event it was BEFORE the NRAGOP flooded the streets with military weaponry in the name of higher profits for the Death Merchants.

The NRAGOP are also comparing the Greatest Nation in the World the U.S.  with a Third World country, Brazil.

"Third world country" is the liberal's synonym for **bleep* country."

According to this, Brazil is not on the UN's list of **bleep** countries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1xBpBaBbrA

https://www.un.org/development/desa/dpad/wp-content/uploads/sites/45/publication/ldc_list.pdf 

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate ,

Homocide by gun:

USA - 3.5/100,000

Brazil - 20.7/100,000

Therefore, Brazil's murder by gun rate is 491% higher than the U.S.A.'s.  Thus, I inadvertantly did Oldscout a favor by using the murder rate in the title. 

If you knew you were going to be murdered but you could choose the method, would you choose?:

1. guns shot to the head

2. knife cut to the throat

3. baseball bat to the head

4. rat poison

5. strangled

I would pick 1.  Under the theory that, if someone wants to kill you, they will, I prefer that they have a gun.  As for mass murder versus isolated murder, if the probabilities are the same, why should I care? 

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18

So....IF I understand correctly, it's something of a least worst comparison.  That makes me wonder WHY that would be true.  I sure don't accept that sort of argument for much of anything.

Perhaps it would help IF we really did think and not just say we did.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18

@Olderscout66wrote:

Kudos
Views