Honored Social Butterfly

Black Democrats Torn Between Warren and Harris

For Biden VP, Black Democrats are torn between Harris and Warren
The California senator represents the diversity and generational transition activists want, but polls suggest Black Democratic voters may prefer Warren.

June 27, 2020, 9:14 AM CDT / Updated June 27, 2020, 1:55 PM CDT
By Sahil Kapur

WASHINGTON — 

Joe Biden is under pressure to pick a Black woman as his vice presidential running mate. But polls suggest the most popular prospect among Black Democrats is white.

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., are widely seen by Democratic officials and activists close to the process as front-runners, though other candidates remain in the mix and a Biden aide told NBC News that "the process is dynamic and ongoing and no final decision has been made."

The two senators and former Biden presidential rivals have reached an advanced vetting stage that suggests they are formidable contenders, according to multiple people familiar with the process. Both women held fundraisers with Biden this month, with Warren’s event raising $6 million and Harris’s event $3.5 million.

In a CBS News poll last month, Warren topped the list of prospects that Democrats wanted Biden to consider, followed by Harris. Warren even led among Black Democrats — 72 percent said she should be considered, with 60 percent saying the same of Harris.

The competing imperatives present a challenge for Biden, pitting the prospect of making history with the first Black woman as vice president and the prevailing evidence that Black voters may prefer Warren. The topic has gained heightened scrutiny due both to Biden’s age and the elevation of race relations as an issue amid the backlash to George Floyd’s death.

“I don’t support an all-white ticket,” said Aimee Allison, the president of She the People, a progressive group that works to promote women of color in politics. “That was a tremendous mistake in 2016. We have a party that’s half people of color and a quarter Black. The ticket needs to reflect that.”

Allison said Harris would be one of several “excellent candidates” for vice president, citing the former California attorney general’s outspoken push for racial justice in recent weeks as the Senate debates police reform.

'A Black face in a high place' not enough?

Jorden Giger, a 29-year-old teacher and Black Lives Matter activist in South Bend, Indiana, disagreed. While he understands the need for a diverse ticket, he wants Biden to pick Warren.

MORE AT LINK:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/biden-vp-black-democrats-are-torn-between-harris-warr...

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

Tough call - I think Harris would be more appealing ( or less "frightening") to right-leaning indies, but Warren would vivisect vice Poodle Pence in any debate. But nobody votes for the Vice, so I'd go with Harris despite her disclaimer about not wanting the job. Besides, Warren would be much more helpful in the Senate and she's almost as old as Joe.

Honored Social Butterfly

Chasky, this is one of those rare days when we disagree. 

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Trump's approval rating with REPUBLICAN COLLEGE EDUCATED WOMEN is a staggering 29%. Many of those women, who are life long Republicans, said they don't want to vote for Trump. But Elizabeth Warren is exactly the kind of radical left candidate that makes them Republicans. If she's on the ticket, the Dems stand a very good chance of losing out on a golden opportunity to recapture the all important suburban vote they lost in 2016. 

The above would be true, not just for college educated women, but Republican moderates around the country, who don't like Trump, but they cannot stand E. Warren and her far left agenda.

As for blacks supporting Warren, I find that hard to believe. More importantly than what I believe, black voters are looking for a black VP candidate in a party which depends so much on their support.

The only positive I see for Warren is her appeal to Bernie's voters.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Elizabeth Warren could be a death blow to the Biden campaign. It could reignite a decimated Trump re-election campaign.

Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Elizabeth Warren could be a death blow to the Biden campaign. It could reignite a decimated Trump re-election campaign.

I disagree very strongly. Polls show more blacks supporting Warren. Warren will pull both young progressives and black voters to the polls.  You just want one and not the other. Sometime you just can't have your cake and eat it too. Warren will give us what we need, large voter turnout to defeat tRump. 

Warren is the best choice. Centrist Democrats with good sense will vote for Biden and the Democratic ticket with Warren included in it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I wanted her for President.  I don't want her for VP.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Manic, in 2016, one of the reasons Hillary lost was she was hated by all Republicans and many Independents. Many voters disliked both candidates but they hated Hillary, so they held their nose and voted for Trump 

In 2020, there are two huge core groups the Dems must attract and motivate to go to the polls. One is black voters, and the other group, believe it or not, are college educated Republican Women who cannot stand Trump. The last poll I saw, had Trump with an incredibly low 29% approval rating with college educated, Republican Women. Many of them said they will not vote for Trump, but the Dems have to give them a choice they like, or at least one they can live with. 

The Dems never seem to learn their lesson. If Warren is the VP choice, you can forget about significant numbers of college educated women abandoning the Republican Party and voting for Biden with her on the ticket.

Elizabeth Warren has almost zero appeal with black Democratic voters. Choosing her would encourage many to stay home, just like they did in 2016. This would be another huge plus for Trump.

Honored Social Butterfly

I will say my black friends were split between Warren and Sanders.  For whatever that's worth.  Liberals in a liberal state. 

Honored Social Butterfly

For starters, is Biden’s choice actually down to Harris and Warren? Either would be a good pick. Both are strong Women of conviction, and each brings a slightly different area of expertise...I do think that both are very experienced at recognizing lies, mistruths, and the cult mentality of trump and rebubs, plus support legislation for the Nation’s populace. 
And are there other polls gauging the choice between the two? My own choice is a slight nod to Harris, but have also followed Warren for a few years. Either would lend strong support for Biden. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 wrote:

For starters, is Biden’s choice actually down to Harris and Warren? Either would be a good pick. Both are strong Women of conviction, and each brings a slightly different area of expertise...I do think that both are very experienced at recognizing lies, mistruths, and the cult mentality of trump and rebubs, plus support legislation for the Nation’s populace. 
And are there other polls gauging the choice between the two? My own choice is a slight nod to Harris, but have also followed Warren for a few years. Either would lend strong support for Biden. 

I don't think it's limited to those two yet.  I think Lujan Grisham, Keisha Lance Bottoms, Val Demmings, and Susan Rice are all still on the "short list."  

Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 Did you title this with "Black Democrats..."?

Just asking because I know we can change Subject line.

I'm also at the point I need to know why race needs to be part of any discussion.

I understand, and have for 60+ years, there are racists, but I fought in the 1960s beside my neighbor for equality, not just racial, but gender, then in the 70s beside my neighbor for gender-identity, then in the 80s beside my neighbor for identity choice, then in the 90s again, beside my neighbor, for equality for everyone, no matter country of origin, birth gender, or other "identifiers"...

I see the "polls" and studies that certain ethniticities, percentage-wise, are not as prosperous; but I think if these stats were global, they would be much different.

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Honored Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

@ChasKy53 Did you title this with "Black Democrats..."?

Just asking because I know we can change Subject line.

I'm also at the point I need to know why race needs to be part of any discussion.

I understand, and have for 60+ years, there are racists, but I fought in the 1960s beside my neighbor for equality, not just racial, but gender, then in the 70s beside my neighbor for gender-identity, then in the 80s beside my neighbor for identity choice, then in the 90s again, beside my neighbor, for equality for everyone, no matter country of origin, birth gender, or other "identifiers"...

I see the "polls" and studies that certain ethniticities, percentage-wise, are not as prosperous; but I think if these stats were global, they would be much different.

#StaySafe

Did you read the entire article? It seems not

Honored Social Butterfly

I like both.

Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

I like both.

Gruffstuff,      I do to, but I think Warren is the best choice and would perhaps pull young progressives out to vote.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png