AARP's caregiver resource center can help you navigate your role as a family caregiver. Try it today.

Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Bidens Bussing & Segregation Problem

Message 11 of 20
I was from Cotuit but am a SoCal resident now and have been for 29 years.
I said I like Biden and I do, but I was trying to point out that what we thought as younger people, we most likely do not see in the same light today. So, perhaps the stand he took on busing all those years ago, he regrets today? I don't know. I do know that we need someone strong to stand up against Trump, who will not play the name calling game, who will stay focused and who will gain the necessary support to win the election.
btw: I also like Kamala Harris.
Sir Granny Tracy
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 20

@GailL1 wrote:

Wonder what he thinks today?  I am sure that he supports integration but what type plans would he support to further this effort TODAY?

We all know that the only really sure way to really support integration in schools is to increase the integration in neighborhoods by not just race but also income - that way we not only help with affordable housing, it makes integration easier with mixing up income levels; it would also offer better educational experiences - These ideas would work better in urban and suburban area but isn't that where the majority of the racial/income divide in housing takes place - at least where these ideas would be easier to implement.

So as long as plans like these are implemented without white flight or higher income flight - we could possible mix it up with lots of different areas of success.

Some (a few) of the Democratic runners have already noted their position on this by supporting types of mixing it up policies -

• Inclusionary Zoning
  • Affirmatively Further Fair Housing

Inclusionary zoning (IZ) is an affordable housing tool that links the production of affordable housing to the production of market-rate housing. IZ policies either require or encourage new residential developments to make a certain percentage of the housing units affordable to low- or moderate- income residents.

Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing means taking meaningful actions, in addition to combating discrimination, that overcome patterns of segregation and foster inclusive communities free from barriers that restrict access to opportunity based onprotected characteristics. Specifically, affirmatively furthering fair housing means taking meaningful actions that, taken together, address significant disparities in housing needs and in access to opportunity, replacing segregated living patterns with truly integrated and balanced living patterns, transforming racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty into areas of opportunity, and fostering and maintaining compliance with civil rights and fair housing laws.

Would people support these types of ideas?  Would Biden?

Many Younger Democrats & Most Progressives Would Support at least Some of these ideas if not many

That's not the point

Biden has a History - Biden has a Record - Biden Should be Held Responsible for both - talking the talk when you have a Recred of not Walking the Walk is what people should be judged upon

The Real Issue is How many other Candidates did Biden beat over the years who would have supported Integration from the Get-go and they probably lost because of it - because the Democratic Machine Protected Biden back then just like they are now - back then - The Democratic Machine De-emphasized these weaknesses of Bidens

There are several other Candidates who have had a much better Record on a lot of these issues & a much more Current Record

There is No Good Reason to Support Biden because of his Handsome Smile or his Democratic Parties Incumbent Machines Money - when there are so many other better choices

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 20

Wonder what he thinks today?  I am sure that he supports integration but what type plans would he support to further this effort TODAY?

We all know that the only really sure way to really support integration in schools is to increase the integration in neighborhoods by not just race but also income - that way we not only help with affordable housing, it makes integration easier with mixing up income levels; it would also offer better educational experiences - These ideas would work better in urban and suburban area but isn't that where the majority of the racial/income divide in housing takes place - at least where these ideas would be easier to implement.

So as long as plans like these are implemented without white flight or higher income flight - we could possible mix it up with lots of different areas of success.

Some (a few) of the Democratic runners have already noted their position on this by supporting types of mixing it up policies -

• Inclusionary Zoning
  • Affirmatively Further Fair Housing

Inclusionary zoning (IZ) is an affordable housing tool that links the production of affordable housing to the production of market-rate housing. IZ policies either require or encourage new residential developments to make a certain percentage of the housing units affordable to low- or moderate- income residents.

Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing means taking meaningful actions, in addition to combating discrimination, that overcome patterns of segregation and foster inclusive communities free from barriers that restrict access to opportunity based onprotected characteristics. Specifically, affirmatively furthering fair housing means taking meaningful actions that, taken together, address significant disparities in housing needs and in access to opportunity, replacing segregated living patterns with truly integrated and balanced living patterns, transforming racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty into areas of opportunity, and fostering and maintaining compliance with civil rights and fair housing laws.

Would people support these types of ideas?  Would Biden?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 20

This same fight is playing out again in progressive areas of the country. Attempts to integrate schools better within school districts fits, only to be met with white rage.  Let’s see how he answers a question about them.

He’s not my first choice. Or second or third. But maybe America is only ready for an old white man.  If that’s the case, I certainly will vote for him. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 20

@Richva wrote:

It is a problem for Biden.

But when we compare the decades of experience and actions from Biden with the three years of incompetence and racism by Trump, I think this will be a tempest in a teapot. 

It's not a problem for Biden, it's a problem for America if Dems nominate him and have another lapse of sanity and write in Bernie or stay home election day like they did to Hillary and give the ToadPOTUS another couple SCOTUS nominations.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 20

@TracyofCotuit wrote:
Which of us can say that we think in the exact same way as we did when we were in our 20's, 30's or even 40's?
I like Joe Biden and I'm very aware that he is an imperfect human being as am I. We need someone to fight for us against the Trump administration and as of today, I think he's our best bet. Let's at least give him the chance to try; we have nothing to lose.

He's been in Congress - the US Senate specifically for almost 40 years - that's 4 decades

If he's been unremarkable for 4 decades as a young man - what's he going to do as a Dinosaur in only 4 years?

Surely Voters should consider more than just his smile or how much he demonstrates his Love for his son in public

Likeability is not what Voters should use to determine who they vote for - well at least it's not my Criteria

If you're really from Cotuit you have a Wonderful Smart Intelligent Truly Progressive US Senator running from your State

What's wrong with her?

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 20
Which of us can say that we think in the exact same way as we did when we were in our 20's, 30's or even 40's?
I like Joe Biden and I'm very aware that he is an imperfect human being as am I. We need someone to fight for us against the Trump administration and as of today, I think he's our best bet. Let's at least give him the chance to try; we have nothing to lose.
Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 20

@Richva wrote:

But when we compare the decades of experience and actions from Biden with the three years of incompetence and racism by Trump, I think this will be a tempest in a teapot. 

Republicans - Independents & Democrats had 20 Choices in 2016

They Picked Clinton & Trump as the Best Two

Unless Something Dramatic Has Changed

It's the Exact Same Electorate & The Same Democratic Machine that Produced Clinton

Already all the Clinton Surrogates including Clinton Herself are on TV pushing Biden

Clinton Couldn't Handle Trump - Because She Had Too Much Baggage &
Not Enough Stamina or the Right People with the Right Strategy

Who Sends a 2 Term Popular President to NH on the Day B4 the Election?

A Elite Arrogant Conceited Over-confident Incumbent - thats who

Biden is simply the same albeit Older package just with both a X & Y Chromosone

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 20

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Bidens Bussing & Segregation Problem

Message 20 of 20

In the summer of 1974, the freshmen senator Joseph Biden found himself under siege from white suburbanites at a meeting just south of Wilmington, Delaware.

The possibility that their children would be bused into “black” schools in the city, and black children would be bused to their schools, had sent a wave of consternation through the white community.

Civil rights activists had recently won a lawsuit in which the federal district court recognized that state-sponsored discriminatory education and housing policies had led to segregated metropolitan area schools. The court was then poised to demand a two-way busing program that would transfer students between the city and suburban districts to advance racial balance.

For two hours Biden paced the auditorium stage and absorbed the ire of the 250-member audience. Unable to offer them any assurance on the court ruling, he made a promise to oppose busing when he returned to Washington for the next legislative session. And he did:

Biden spent the next four years pushing legislation to thwart the implementation of busing schemes around the country like the one demanded by the courts in Wilmington.

Source - https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/05/05/joe-biden-busing-problem-226791

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements