Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Biden and Dems Are Set to Abolish the Suburbs

Message 81 of 176

@GailL1 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

So allowing Blacks to live in the suburbs will "abolish" them? 

Just a question: Are so many White folks unaccepting of Black folks that they cannot live in close proximity to each other?  

How about a poll:  Would any white person here object to a Black family moving in next door?  If so, why?

This has nothing to do with a persons color. 

You didn't answer my question, it's that simple. Yes it most certainly does have something to do with "persons of color".

Only Thing Man Learns From History Is Man Learns Nothing From History
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 82 of 176

My exper: Wrong again every time!

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 83 of 176

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Your accusatory questions asking me questions on statement that I NEVER made is there for all to see .... rendering your latest accusation false again ..... as usual!

I never ask you questions because you don't have any answers as usual!

Not true NOTHAPPENING.

And your posts asking me questions on statements that I never made, aka straw man arguments, are there for ALL to see!

The topic isn't about me. It's about a made up claim. Any thoughts on the bogus topic?

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 84 of 176

ManicProgressive:  

So.....I guess the "destruction of the suburbs" is code for not artificially keeping them white?

That's exactly correct, the message is "those people" are going to arrive and ruin your neighborhoods.

That's nutty of course, but there's also the fact that Obama's rule has been in place for 5 years and no one has attempted abolishing the suburbs. I'd love to hear the explanation for that.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 85 of 176

Minus the RW fearmongering - one has to wonder if some are hoping for a depression to reset the many problems that have been set into motion by Reagan.  

Stay tuned, all those people who were fired as a result of business shutdown via the pandemic who have now lost income may be the kindling that some want - riots in the streets - anything to distract from the idiots running the federal gov't at the moment.  

PS:   They tried a small riot project in Portland - it did not go well for those in the current DC regime.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 86 of 176

@Olderscout66 

But today, it is not just people of color that have a hard time with affordable housing -

For that matter, it is not just people of color that have problems with understanding money, money management or wealth building,  money or financial education or how to get from here to there which opens up doors.

Changing the rules for any specific population is akin to using more wrongs to make a right.

It would better help us to fix the problems without race being a point - let's help everybody that needs help.  Let's give the help in a manner that helps them not only now but into the future - crossing that generational line.

Just like some of President Obama's Housing programs - putting the emphasis on education on home buying, home preservation cause lots of people of all colors have no idea of the process, requirements or even what comes after they buy the home. 

And in the meantime, we have to figure out how to produce those units that are affordable.

Generational wealth many times has been built on the escalation of real estate prices - so it seems to me that we are sometimes in a quandary - How can affordable remain affordable if we want appreciation to build wealth?

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 87 of 176

For around 400 years, people of color were systematically denied the ability to acquire GENERATIONAL WEALTH. For the 300 years Antebellum, it was a simple fact slaves could not inherit. Then the Government excluded blacks from the "Land Rush" programs that handed 160 free acres to new settlers, later black GIs were denied access to the GI Bill housing guarantees and educational benefits. Then banks used "Red Lining" to prevent minority home owners from being able to borrow to improve or even maintain their homes.  Most recently, it's been Republican city and State governments' benign neglect of infrastructure servicing minority communities.

Time to redress +400 years of gross discrimination with GRANTS to minority communities to provide the infrastructure systematically denied to minority and racially diverse neighborhoods. IMHO funding should come from a claw-back of all the money we gave Corporations to increase jobs but was diverted to stock buybacks, including the tRump Taxscam of $1.2 TRILLION.

With Government support for the infrastructure, the affordability of new or existing housing increases significantly, and all those "Government jobs" building and restoring the Infrastructure will boost the economy infinitely more than giving money to Corporate Oligarchs, or allowing the Oligarchs to keep what they took under false pretense since 2007.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 88 of 176
Plus John I heard about your state Dem. HQ burned to the ground by an arsonist the other day. How sad!!!!
Must have thought it was Republican headquarters by the liberal rioters.

NOT possible - It would require impaired judgement and base stupidity only found in Regressives.

Also the professional criminals who did the rioting went home with their loot days ago. It's only those opposing the tRump Gestapo who are protesting - all the violence is coming from the Gestapo. In Portland, the Gestapo left and NO VIOLENCE occurred AFTER they departed. Hate to use facts, but Regressives have no other way of knowing what's really going on.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 89 of 176

@ChasKy53 wrote:

So allowing Blacks to live in the suburbs will "abolish" them? 

Just a question: Are so many White folks unaccepting of Black folks that they cannot live in close proximity to each other?  

How about a poll:  Would any white person here object to a Black family moving in next door?  If so, why?

This has nothing to do with a persons color.  It has to do with the pocketbook.  AFFORDABILITY - not just the price of a specific home but the ongoing price of everything surrounding it -

Income differences in purchasers can be planned in a community - rural, suburban or urban. It maybe harder to do in urban areas just because of the price of land but not impossible.  Local communities control all of this.

They plan and put into action:

• the type of homes,size, nature, density, etc.which affects the price of the homes (or apartments)
  • the requirements put on the developers, which in turn affects the price of the homes (or apartments)
  • the surrounding needs & amenities like parks, transportation infrastructure, schools, etc.
  • the planning of retail, business, & industrial zoning including hospitals, fire and police stations, waste management
  • the lines drawn for each of the school districts

They do this in order to keep their tax base adequate and healthy to keep supplying all those good and attractive amenities like good schools, transportation infrastructure, access to retail, businesses and jobs, parks and recreation, etc.

The Federal Government doesn't need to take over this responsibility nor should they use extortion to make communities comply to some Fair Housing Act rule. Nor should they use special rules to create affordability - they should do it via their own available tools and not change the rules in the middle of the game - that leads to destruction.  Buying a home has a lot of different facets which ALL people use to determine the best fit - or should.

What happens now is if a community decides to develop a master plan, they take the needs of growth into consideration and if they are smart, they will design some affordable housing options.

In order to do this, they cannot put the same requirements on those homes as they would for higher priced homes.  Quality, workmanship and safety should be there for both but past that

there are a multitude of things that can hold down the cost of homes, at least initially, allowing the market to determine the future price.

The problem is that people see some of these upgrades (the home and the surrounding area) as a need rather than an option and begin to demand more and more and with each upgrade the price goes up.

Atlanta and surrounding area is a very diversified community.  Within each of these different races or ethnicity is a huge array of income earnings. They blend together by income because of their individual income levels.  Even in urban older neighborhoods, which I guess you could say, some use to be black areas, are diversifying with gentrification.  When that happens, the areas change not so much by race but by income and sometimes this takes a real toll on those who have remained, making it more and difficult to keep up with the pocketboke stuff.  Again, the community can control some of this by their own actions - special exemptions on property taxes, watching any changes in local zoning and regulations, watching the addition of extra amenities to increase the market rate (and tax basis).

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 90 of 176

They're afraid if they touch black people that black stuff will rub off on them and they'll never be able to get it off.

My mother told me that before I started elementary school, age five.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!

Top Authors