Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Biden Would Veto Medicare-for-All

Message 1 of 22

@oceanedge2 wrote:

His plans for healthcare and other issues are posted and I thought people may want to explore that.  I was answering gordy's post.

Biden was asked a yes or no question and he dodged it, that is simply the truth.  And your link still takes me to a page saying "Biden needs help" and asks for donations.

Only Thing Man Learns From History Is Man Learns Nothing From History
Report Inappropriate Content
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 22

@gruffstuff wrote:

Biden said that he would veto any bill that caused a delay in getting healthcare available to everyone

I guess I'm stupid, because that sounds like Biden is saying he would veto a bill that made healthcare available to everyone if it came to his desk as law.

Your words, not mine. I'm not calling anyone anything. It's a free country. Think what you will.

Just remember how difficult things were for Obama to get ACA, and the public option failed to make the bill. It also took 14 months for it to get implemented, and about 16 months for people to notice the change. There is growing support in the middle to expand ACA, and this time, include the public option to get to universal coverage. The framework for ACA is still there, and it could be implemented in a shorter time frame than anything remotely close to MFA, which could take years, (maybe 4 to 8 or more) to roll out and fully implement. Whether that was Biden's point, I can't speak for him, but that's my take. My personal opinion is that if Biden is elected, he won't have to make that decision because it's not going to happen.

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 22

The question asked is absolutely laughable. There is no way a MFA bill will ever get through the Senate, and I doubt it could get a simple majority in the House. It's a mute point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought the question by Lawrence O'Donnel was reasonable.

If Biden was elected he would be serving 4 years. A lot could happen during his time in office. Maybe Democrats would win a super majority in both chambers. If they did, and they passed Medicare for All, would Biden sign it? Reasonable question. 

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 22

Biden said that he would veto any bill that caused a delay in getting healthcare available to everyone

I guess I'm stupid, because that sounds like Biden is saying he would veto a bill that made healthcare available to everyone if it came to his desk as law.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 22

@gruffstuff wrote:

The question asked is absolutely laughable. There is no way a MFA bill will ever get through the Senate,

In order for MFA to be vetoed it would have to pass the House, the Senate and make it to the President's desk to be signed into law.

So Biden saying he would veto MFA is actually a pretty stupid thing to say.

Basically Biden is saying if Democrats pass MFA in Congress he will side with the Trump Party and veto it.

You failed to copy the rest of my statement:

The question asked is absolutely laughable. There is no way a MFA bill will ever get through the Senate, and I doubt it could get a simple majority in the House. It's a mute point.

MFA still doesn't have widespread support among D's. We know this from all of the debates. So, there is no guarantee that a D-majority in both houses would render a MFA bill. Biden said that he would veto any bill that caused a delay in getting healthcare available to everyone. One might infer that he wants the path of least resistance to get to universal coverage. 

Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 6 of 22

@williamb39198 wrote:

We seem to be arguing about an all or nothing scenario between nonexistent trumpcare and MFA. Perhaps we need to discuss improving healthcare, in whatever form it may take...maybe form a commission to provide facts and options. 
But, reality says, if we do not keep the House, take the Senate back, and win the presidency...good healthcare is just a pipe dream!

A well thought out comment. The big problem is Trump lives to destroy anything that the past president acomplished. He can't get over that a Black man was elected president before he was. Moscow Mitch is the other problem, he  blocks everything except judical appointments.  I never would have believed that someone would have made Nixon look good, I

was wrong. 

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 22

The question asked is absolutely laughable. There is no way a MFA bill will ever get through the Senate,

In order for MFA to be vetoed it would have to pass the House, the Senate and make it to the President's desk to be signed into law.

So Biden saying he would veto MFA is actually a pretty stupid thing to say.

Basically Biden is saying if Democrats pass MFA in Congress he will side with the Trump Party and veto it.

Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 22

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@oceanedge2 wrote:

@gordyfl wrote:

Biden says he would veto Medicare for All if the bill ever reached his desk...

Can anyone explain what he meant by "I would veto anything that delays providing the security and the certainty of healthcare being available now."

Context has been given here for the misleading title of this post.  Further:  https://joebiden.com/healthcare/

So your link takes me to a page to donate to Biden. Not very ethical of you.S
Sorry ChasKy.  The link was intended to open to his HEALTH "Vision".  It does for me.  And no there was no "context given" to explain his answer.
Otherwise, going to joebiden.com gives links at the top of the page.
His answer was a complete dodge.
His plans for healthcare and other issues are posted and I thought people may want to explore that.  I was answering gordy's post.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 22

We seem to be arguing about an all or nothing scenario between nonexistent trumpcare and MFA. Perhaps we need to discuss improving healthcare, in whatever form it may take...maybe form a commission to provide facts and options. 
But, reality says, if we do not keep the House, take the Senate back, and win the presidency...good healthcare is just a pipe dream!

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 22

Seriously???

The question asked is absolutely laughable. There is no way a MFA bill will ever get through the Senate, and I doubt it could get a simple majority in the House. It's a mute point.

It will be difficult enough to expand the ACA and add the public option. The majority of the country doesn't live in Bernie land.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.

Top Authors