Join AARP panelists live Nov. 18 for a free webinar on ride-sharing. Register now to learn more about apps like Uber and Lyft.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Beware: Disinformation Campaign of 2020

Message 11 of 25

It is somewhat of an oxymoron.  You would think with the internet and so many resources available at our fingertips with minimal effort, we would learn to be more discernible and well... 'smarter'!  But, alas... we often see the opposite happening.  The old "I saw it on the internet (FB, Twitter, etc.), so it must be true" rears its ugly head.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 25

@GailL1 wrote:

OH, yes - just vote for the designation of that "D" beside their name - Isn't that what most people do anyway - vote for the party and know little about the candidate at all levels of government.

Did you even read the article? We're talking about deliberate postings of false information on social media to undermine targeted candidates of the D-party. It's already happening.

We assume Trump will be the nominee for the R-party since the RNC has already determined that no one will be permitted to run against him. The only outlier is whether one of the ongoing investigations drops a lead shoe that makes it politically unsustainable for Trump to run.

In 2016, Paul Ryan, and many of the R's who ran against Trump, later endorsed him and rallied voters by saying, "It's a binary choice."  Indeed it is. It will be Trump or the Democrat. And I certainly will vote for the Democrat, even if it's not the one I voted for in the primary. 

At present, there are some 12 candidates, with possibly more to be announced. They are all qualified and politically experienced people. They have similar views on many issues, but they aren't cookie cutter candidates, either. There will be plenty of time to sort out the strongest candidate to best lead the country, and the D's will eventually decide.

But there is no reason for them to slay their opponents along the way, a la Trump style, nor should their supporters. For that reason, it is especially important for D's to question "junk" that shows up on social media as a smear tactic. This is where they have to draw the line: A smear on one is a smear on the entire party, and D's have to call it out. 

Now I know that you've mentioned supporting 3rd party candidates. That is your privilege, it's a free country. A strong 3rd party might be good for the country, but it doesn't exist. There is no viable 3rd party, and there likely won't be because too much power resides with the RNC and the DNC and they are not going to give it up. So it becomes a binary choice: Trump or the Democrat.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 25

I go to that Facebook Page "America's Last Line of Defense" every couple of weeks out of curiosity, or sometimes to be entertained.

About a week ago I saw one of those "Last Line of Defense" memes land on my Facebook Page. It came from one of my Facebook Friends. She received it from one of her conservative Facebook pages which she "Liked". She believed it.

I did let her know where it originally came from, and that it's a satirical website.

It's amazing how you will see over a thousand "Shares" of a fake meme. 

On the bright side, it is sometimes fun reading the comments. I read one of the "Replies" to one of the "gullibles" - "Is your Google broken?".

Misinformation is nothing new. Those TV commercials paid for by PACs and Super PACs are loaded with misinformation. It's been like that since I can remember. Those ads keep Snopes, Politifact, FactCheck.org, and others very busy.
Both Parties do it. Distortion of the facts. 

TV ads should only be used as a starting point. Fact check from there. Watch the Debates. Listen to some speeches of the candidates on the campaign trail. Make your own judgement. If you see a meme on Facebook, Google first before you "Share". 

Sometimes you can do your homework and still regret voting for a candidate. Or sometimes you wish you had voted for someone, but didn't. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 25

@MsStretch wrote:

Look at this Facebook page: America's Last Line Of Defense

Then, read this article.

When I first saw this article (it was published last November), I LMAO'd, but in reality, it isn't funny; it is sad, a pitiful example of the ignorance and gullibility of some Americans.

So ........... everyone has learned that a website can be created (EVEN WITH THE DISCLAIMER "NOTHING HERE IS REAL"), that bashes anything from the left ............ and 55 year old plus right wingers will believe all of it.

Yep, that's sad.  But I too have to LOL !!!

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 25

Once again, history is repeating itself. And it may get worse. We can thank trump for his total lack of preventing interference by anyone or any country, mostly from russia?

The fact is he does not want to prevent disinformation or interference, it’s the only way that he can win...please note the 2016 election, cheat if you have to!

For all that oppose trump, be aware, be skeptical, and be smart. We can get him out, but it’s going to take work. 

When you notice anything that sounds or seems wrong, bring it up...lies tend to lose their impact when exposed to light!

Let’s start with the national emergency...

just one big lie by trump, and an authoritarian’s attempt to snatch the lawful spending power from Congress!

Never Forget

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 25

@GailL1 wrote:

OH, yes - just vote for the designation of that "D" beside their name - Isn't that what most people do anyway - vote for the party and know little about the candidate at all levels of government. Voting "D" makes more sense that voting "R", unless of course you are one of  the wealthiest in our nation. Can you show any proof of what "most people do" Gail?

Seems elections at all levels would be much fairer if all those designates "D", "R", "I", "Incumbant" were erased - people would then have to research the actual candidates and pick their poison. Do ya' really think they would "research", or maybe just want to see their picture?

We have dumbed down the voters to picking their candidate based on their party affiliation, name recognition, or those currently in office or what's in it for me rather than what is good for the country in their opinion.  So does that go for only left wingers or are you saying that right wingers are guilty of that? Who is "we", Gail?  Who has "dumbed down the voters"? We take what we think, to be the gospel - might not even be true - but it is still the gospel. Who is "we"? Do you take what you think as "gospel"?  I'm right, you're wrong or You're right, I'm wrong.  Perhaps we should all just take our voting info from ET. "ET"? Really"  How about FOX News instead?

What good does it do to keep expanding the numbers of voters - if they are dumbed down voters. So you prefer voter restriction? No wonder we have a divided nation. Having mandatory voting would "divide the nation" by getting more Democrats in office.

I recall in my area, voters were asking for pictures of the candidates be posted in the local paper before the election with a short spill on their stance on issues..  Worked so well (not), overwelming votes for those who were black with NO even related experience, disregarding those who had done service for a very long time and were doing a great job. And you know this to be true how? Soon after election, recall campaigns started cause the election went to unqualified, unscrupulous characters who had numerous court cases against them - criminal and civil.  2nd time around, we got at least qualified, seemingly upstanding elected official regardless of color - but the voting number in the new election was but a handful of people. And there was voter crimes/fraud that was so bad in Florida that it resulted in even the Republican elected candidate calling for a new election.

Just like some here think the 2016 Presidential election went- electing a nonqualified, unscrupulous character - have we learned nothing.  The "R"s don't have a monopoly on them. Oh, but don't we have "fine people on both sides" ?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 25

Look at this Facebook page: America's Last Line Of Defense

Then, read this article.

When I first saw this article (it was published last November), I LMAO'd, but in reality, it isn't funny; it is sad, a pitiful example of the ignorance and gullibility of some Americans.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 25

Again, humbled.  Trying to be an informed citizen of this country can indeed be very intimidating!

@GailL1 wrote:

OH, yes - just vote for the designation of that "D" beside their name - Isn't that what most people do anyway - vote for the party and know little about the candidate at all levels of government.

Seems elections at all levels would be much fairer if all those designates "D", "R", "I", "Incumbant" were erased - people would then have to research the actual candidates and pick their poison.

We have dumbed down the voters to picking their candidate based on their party affiliation, name recognition, or those currently in office or what's in it for me rather than what is good for the country in their opinion.  We take what we think, to be the gospel - might not even be true - but it is still the gospel.  I'm right, you're wrong or You're right, I'm wrong.  Perhaps we should all just take our voting info from ET.

What good does it do to keep expanding the numbers of voters - if they are dumbed down voters.

No wonder we have a divided nation.

I recall in my area, voters were asking for pictures of the candidates be posted in the local paper before the election with a short spill on their stance on issues..  Worked so well (not), overwelming votes for those who were black with NO even related experience, disregarding those who had done service for a very long time and were doing a great job.  Soon after election, recall campaigns started cause the election went to unqualified, unscrupulous characters who had numerous court cases against them - criminal and civil.  2nd time around, we got at least qualified, seemingly upstanding elected official regardless of color - but the voting number in the new election was but a handful of people.

Just like some here think the 2016 Presidential election went- electing a nonqualified, unscrupulous character - have we learned nothing.  The "R"s don't have a monopoly on them. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 25

@MsStretch 

Oh, I agree with you - but the numbers of alphabet picking voters far outweigh those who know the candidates and base their vote on good factual info.

A candidate can even be at the top of the election scale by just talking about the problems with no legal (data) backed plan to fix it -

All ya gotta do nowadays is spout "Tax the Rich" .

Promise them whatever - you got their vote.

To me, President Trump's campaign promise for bringing back coal jobs or having Mexico pay for our border wall was not anymore far fetched than "Medicare for All" / single payer health coverage plan or solving the inequity problem.

Promises without a sound plan mean nothing but it seems if you can touch the nerve of the problem - you can get the vote of certain (perhaps the majority of) voters.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 25

@GailL1 wrote:

Seems elections at all levels would be much fairer if all those designates "D", "R", "I", "Incumbant" were erased - people would then have to research the actual candidates and pick their poison.

We have dumbed down the voters to picking their candidate based on their party affiliation, name recognition, or those currently in office or what's in it for me rather than what is good for the country in their opinion.  We take what we think, to be the gospel - might not even be true - but it is still the gospel.  I'm right, you're wrong or You're right, I'm wrong.  Perhaps we should all just take our voting info from ET.

What good does it do to keep expanding the numbers of voters - if they are dumbed down voters.

No wonder we have a divided nation.

I recall in my area, voters were asking for pictures of the candidates be posted in the local paper before the election with a short spill on their stance on issues..  Worked so well (not), overwelming votes for those who were black with NO even related experience, disregarding those who had done service for a very long time and were doing a great job.  Soon after election, recall campaigns started cause the election went to unqualified, unscrupulous characters who had numerous court cases against them - criminal and civil.  2nd time around, we got at least qualified, seemingly upstanding elected official regardless of color - but the voting number in the new election was but a handful of people.

Just like some here think the 2016 Presidential election went- electing a nonqualified, unscrupulous character - have we learned nothing.  The "R"s don't have a monopoly on them. 

That's why the disinformation campaign works so well.  How many people who vote in the presidential campaign vote in the primaries -- to pick the best candidate in their opinion to represent the party?

I am amazed at some of the reasons people have spouted to me in day-to-day conversations about why they support a certain candidate.  Yes, often it is party-affiliation or with Trump, for an example, mostly I heard that it was because he is not 'politically correct' and he will 'shake up government' ad nauseum.   My answer was I am sure he will, but not necessarily in a good way.  Ask them to expound on details or specifics and they can't.  All they know is he builds really big expensive hotels and has a TV show, so he must be doing something right. Wha...???

BUT on the other hand, I have had very knowledgeable, intelligent conversations with people who do analyze the candidates and who do know the issues.  So I still hold faith that not everybody jumps on the social media bandwagon and that the election process and democracy is still the best way to go. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22