Honored Social Butterfly

Better Off Now Than 4 Years Ago?

Most Say They Are Better Off Now Than Four Years Ago

During his presidential campaign in 1980, Ronald Reagan asked Americans, "Are you better off today than you were four years ago?" Since then, this question has served as a key standard that sitting presidents running for reelection have been held to.

Gallup's most recent survey found a clear majority of registered voters (56%) saying they are better off now than they were four years ago, while 32% said they are worse off.

gallup poll trump economy.jpg

gallup poll issues.jpg

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/321650/gallup-election-2020-coverage.aspx

The poll was conducted between Sept. 14 and 28 before the first presidential debate and Trump’s coronavirus diagnosis.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I can only answer for my family and I would agree, we are better off today than 4 years ago. 

My personal healthcare is provided by the VA because of a permanent disability from my years in Viet Nam.  My personal care and access to new therapies that were denied for the past 20 years are now available.  IMO Trump has made substantial improvements in the Veterans Administrations level of care.  My quality of life has improved because of these new therapies.  It's still not perfect but it is way better than it was in the past.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Amazing what a Goebbels-worthy Propaganda Machine can do for a failed Presidency.

Disturbing that it indicates how significant our systemic racism is in forming opinions.

The ONLY thing tRump has done is inflect great pain on poor people of color, and Americans think this makes them better off? Not that the person is fully aware of WHY he's better off with no gains in real income and the 1% seeing a 25% increase in wealth and income, a raging pandemic with NO unified plan to deal with it and a President who has weekly SECRET (no American translator present, no record of conversation) meetings with the dictator of our most hostile adversary and vows to destroy Social Security and Medicare if re-elected.

Considering the reality of the situation today v 4 years ago, this pervasive denial of that reality is disturbing.The election is going to be VERY close. SO, now more than ever

VOTE THEM OUT

THEN

LOCK THEM UP

Honored Social Butterfly

Trumpkin.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

OF couse Trump will say we are better off.     
 HE DID   desensitize people to violence, aggressive behaviors and and decrease prosocial behaviors such as helping another person and feeling empathy (the ability to understand others). 
 There is progress on the WALL   at the southern border and that  effort is now well underway after Trump raided  FEMA funds  during hurricane season for the money as Mexico refuses to pay for it.     

The wealthiest and corporations are better off now....,1,900,000,000,000 tax cut for corporations and superrich for stock-by-backs and contributing to republican re-election campaigns for more grafts.      As David Stockman, then RONNIE Reagan’s budget director, put it: giving small tax cuts acr  oss the board to all brackets was simply a “Trojan Horse” that was used to get approval for the HUGE TOP TAX BRACKET CUTS.    

NY got 2 million dollars ( a fine )  from the TRUMP family cause they raided his charity foundation for personal uses.    MY favorite was for  a six foot paiinting of HIMSELF to hang at the Doral resort.  

And then he tried to remove Coronavirus by denying it existed for weeks... till the numbers of deaths were reported by the "fake-news."  and Dr  Fauci would not be on the DON's side but on the side of science and our citizens.. Now Trump is claiming it's nearly disaappeared even though the death count rises every hour and numbers infected increase.    His own miraculous recovery secretive of facts .....makes me think  IT"S ALMOST like he never had the VIRUS at all !!!     

Honored Social Butterfly

@gordyfl wrote:

During his presidential campaign in 1980, Ronald Reagan asked Americans, "Are you better off today than you were four years ago?" Since then, this question has served as a key standard that sitting presidents running for reelection have been held to.

Gallup's most recent survey found a clear majority of registered voters (56%) saying they are better off now than they were four years ago, while 32% said they are worse off.

gallup poll issues.jpg

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/321650/gallup-election-2020-coverage.aspx

The poll was conducted between Sept. 14 and 28 before the first presidential debate and Trump’s coronavirus diagnosis.

If the only questions asked were what the graphs show this poll was a waste of time as you have to go deeper into why people think that.

Here is an example:  TV station was interviewing people on why they supported Trump. They interviewed one man. Here is what he told them.

(My Income has gone up quite a bit for the last 4 years, and my business has increased a lot. Trump has done a good job.)

The reporter asked the man what business was he in.

The man Replied: (DEBT COLLECTOR)

EVEN THE REPORTER BROKE INTO LAUGHTER.

This also shows how the Trump supporters think, and what the experts have told us about them is true.

Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

@gordyfl wrote:

gallup poll issues.jpg

It is interesting to note the question asks if you are better off than you were 4 years ago and the graphs only show data every 8 years.  One could only assume the data for every 4 years didn't support the hypothesis of the author...too funny!

trump-fourth-grade-genius.jpg

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

TV station was interviewing people on why they supported Trump. They interviewed one man. Here is what he told them.

(My Income has gone up quite a bit for the last 4 years, and my business has increased a lot. Trump has done a good job.)

The reporter asked the man what business was he in.

The man Replied: (DEBT COLLECTOR)

EVEN THE REPORTER BROKE INTO LAUGHTER.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's funny!

And I think that same line of thinking could be true with the poll - "56% better of now than 4 years ago".

Retirees might feel economically better now than 4 years ago since many of them have Medicare, a pension, 401K, house paid off, etc., while younger working-class people might feel quite the opposite about their financial situation.

A question is for those who are 'better now than 4 years ago' - how much credit does Trump deserve for that? 

Honored Social Butterfly

==========================================

I would think that that number would be a lot higher than 56% if it was taken before covid19 in spite of the left wing news media.

OK its time for my number one adversary to post his remarks witch I will not answer.
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

==========================================

I would think that that number would be a lot higher than 56% if it was taken before covid19 in spite of the left wing news media.(sic) The media wasn't responsible for allowing the virus into the country, though trump was.....it was a good excuse to coverup the failing economy.

OK its time for my number one adversary to post his remarks witch (sic) I will not answer.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here are my remarks:

The great far right Unmasking probe we were told was going to be so big and important and would show Obama and Biden tried to over throw Trump is over. What was the result?

Nothing wrong was done, and it is closed.

Why do not you tell us why the far right was so wrong. 

Social Butterfly

The healing starts a month from now, when America decides to make itself sane again.

The last 4 years have been an ongoing root canal and a colonostopy without anethesia for the American people.

At least we got to discover the rot and cancer, for our efforts and pain, of Trumps evil falsehoods.

We are better off for that.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png