Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Betsy. DeVos's New Education Bill

Message 1 of 19

@NerdyMom wrote:

I agree with you that people have to be more active at the local level.  But I disagree that states can ever be discrete, self-sufficient entities.  

True. The Constitution does call for the separation of powers wherein the States deal with most of the domestic issues while the federal government deals with international affairs and disputes between the States.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 19

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...To me, it's Americans helping Americans, regardless of state....".  

That's where some of us have a fundamental difference of opinion. Yes, I certainly understand the sentiment. I certainly believe feds should help in various emergencies.

Those of us who believe in states rights are not against helping others. We simply understand that the needs of the populace in California are very different from those in North Dakota. Therefore, states have to take a look at their resources, jobs, budget, constituent demands, etc. to determine what is best for them. We don't believe the bureaucracies in DC have the answers.

And, it again goes back to individual responsibility. We have endlessly discussed lack of voter participation. It is far worse locally. That is, in all probability, only 10% of your town voted for mayor and other offices. Only 30% bothered with reps/senators, etc.  Yet, virtually everyone complains of poor government.

That's your (collectively) fault --- not the feds. Want better schools? Are you filling up school board meetings? Are you voting for people who support the schools? Voting for referendums to better the schools?  When there are parent/teacher conference days or evenings, are their lines out the door?

Feds can't fix apathy........... Schools have been failing for many presidents. Betsy and whatever policies she gets through is a grain of sand on the beach.

Local action, global impact. Environmental phrase, but works for most issues.     

I agree with you that people have to be more active at the local level.  But I disagree that states can ever be discrete, self-sufficient entities.  

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 19

"...To me, it's Americans helping Americans, regardless of state....".  

That's where some of us have a fundamental difference of opinion. Yes, I certainly understand the sentiment. I certainly believe feds should help in various emergencies.

Those of us who believe in states rights are not against helping others. We simply understand that the needs of the populace in California are very different from those in North Dakota. Therefore, states have to take a look at their resources, jobs, budget, constituent demands, etc. to determine what is best for them. We don't believe the bureaucracies in DC have the answers.

And, it again goes back to individual responsibility. We have endlessly discussed lack of voter participation. It is far worse locally. That is, in all probability, only 10% of your town voted for mayor and other offices. Only 30% bothered with reps/senators, etc.  Yet, virtually everyone complains of poor government.

That's your (collectively) fault --- not the feds. Want better schools? Are you filling up school board meetings? Are you voting for people who support the schools? Voting for referendums to better the schools?  When there are parent/teacher conference days or evenings, are their lines out the door?

Feds can't fix apathy........... Schools have been failing for many presidents. Betsy and whatever policies she gets through is a grain of sand on the beach.

Local action, global impact. Environmental phrase, but works for most issues.     

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 19

I happen to be the worse person to speak about any of this, because I always thougtht that the public school system was really lousy, and my kids went to private schools all the way thru to High School.
What I see with this issue, is, that the poor people will be the ones that really suffer. Because, the public schools will be defunded to accomodate those parents that want to put their kids in private schools. I paid fully for mine. 
And then you will create a really bad education left for those kids that cannot afford even with vouchers to go to a charter school or a private school.

That is where the problem is going to be. Instead of fixing the educational system  throwing the baby with the bassinet, is as bad as throwing more money to a system that needs fixing.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 19

@NerdyMom wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...I guess he wants the States to take over Education....".

I hope so!

So if this happens, how do really poor states like Mississippi and Louisiana provide decent education? 35%-45% of their entire state budgets are federal aid. They can't survive on their own.  How do conservatives propose handling this? .....

....... By blaming the Democrats!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 19

@NerdyMom wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

With all the arguments back-and-forth -/state should support their children's education -no-the federal government should --let's not forget that the victims here are our children and grandchildren.   They will pay the price and then as they age into adulthood so will our country.

I agree.  Kids are our future.  Best for all of us to invest in them.  

To me, it's Americans helping Americans, regardless of state.   

We would still be doing that but with more parents making the decision as to what is best for their children.  I like the idea of parents having more choice and I like the idea of public schools and private schools of whatever type competing for children's better education or heck, who knows, it could also be a sports completion too, or something else that the child needs.

As to the nutritional part to this legislation, it is only to help remedy the enormous amount of food that are being thrown away that the kids don't eat.

We need to ease into this eating better thing - school systems are trying to do this but it cannot be just at school and it can't be just all of a sudden changing the rules.  Some kids in a middle school close to me almost rioted when the morning biscuits were taken away.  Took a lot of experimenting to even come close to a similar flavor/ texture that the kids would eat - now somewhat healthier.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 19

@pc6063 wrote:

With all the arguments back-and-forth -/state should support their children's education -no-the federal government should --let's not forget that the victims here are our children and grandchildren.   They will pay the price and then as they age into adulthood so will our country.

I agree.  Kids are our future.  Best for all of us to invest in them.  

To me, it's Americans helping Americans, regardless of state.   

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 19

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 19

"...So if this happens, how do really poor states like Mississippi and Louisiana provide decent education? 35%-45% of their entire state budgets are federal aid. They can't survive on their own.  How do conservatives propose handling this?...".

For years, possibly decades, Louisiana and Mississippi have been at the bottom of  the list for education. Billilons spent, nothing changed.  We're always back to responsibility (well, for me, it's always back to that). The states have to set standards, get their leadership to fund schools.  Th

How do conservatives propose handling this?  I don't know. These states are conservative and have not achieved any progress in decades. The current system is not working for them.  The states have given tax breaks that have now come back to haunt them with huge debt.

"....Of the 87 largest companies in Louisiana that filed taxes in 2012, only 22 paid corporate income taxes, Louisiana Revenue Secretary Tim Barfield told The Associated Press. And only about 42 of these companies paid corporate franchise taxes, he said....".

I'm in Illinois. We're actually the most broke state in the union. We haven't handled our problems.

Bottom line is that the feds make little difference. Throwing good money after bad, as usual.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 19

@rker321 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...I guess he wants the States to take over Education....".

I hope so!

So if this happens, how do really poor states like Mississippi and Louisiana provide decent education? 35%-45% of their entire state budgets are federal aid. They can't survive on their own.  How do conservatives propose handling this? 

That my dear will be their problem LOL  LOL  LOL  wait until they really have to deal with anything like that.  LOL LOL LOL

I guess they'll just go cross state lines to get a better education? Texas could see a huge influx of Louisianans? 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors