From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Betsy DeVos moves to demolish Title IX

Message 11 of 38

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It’s not just colleges.  It’s k-12 too. 

It’s not just college students being harassed or assaulted by other students.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2018/11/19/four-things-betsy-devos...

Do you have any specific objection to the DeVos proposed changes?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 38

It’s not just colleges.  It’s k-12 too. 

It’s not just college students being harassed or assaulted by other students.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2018/11/19/four-things-betsy-devos...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 38

@gruffstuff wrote:

The problem is guys being "run off" based solely on the word of one person. Sorta like the game the Dems tried to play with Kavanaugh.

Ford took a lie detector test, Kavanaugh didn't

A lot of people came forward to cast doubt on Kavanaugh's story.

Republicans rigged the investigation, the FBI didn't come to  a conclusion.

So if that is the Republican  idea of " due process " with regards to women, then I suggest women take matters into their own hands with regard to sexual assault  / sexual harassment and the Republican Party.

I'm not calling for violence.

Women don't have to put up with this stuff anymore. 

Times have changed.

..... and it has been revealed that there was a lot of lying in the Dems game. Ford had no support. Her lie detector was done by??? and the questions were???? 

The issue needs tightening and clarification for the college students. DeVos is trying to provide that.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 38

@williamb39198 wrote:

It’s hard to find the words to describe devos...especially any good ones. She seems to be in the same mold as other current and past trump cabinet members: no real knowledge of their department, an extreme opposition to their department, and their expectations of being treated like royalty during their “reign”. devos is running our educational system into the ground with no good results to be realized from her “leadership”?

And concerning assault on women, I’m hearing that some think this situation will just take care of itself. That mode has not worked for several hundred years, but it’s the mode that trump and supporters want us to believe. To even start on that path, we need good role models...we have trump...I rest my case.

We are suppose to make it easier to determine assault, not harder!

Do you have any thoughts on her tightening up and clarifying Title IX?? Your last sentence describes her purpose in this effort. As of now it is a "he said.she said" situation that can be reported by most anyone to most anyone.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 38

The problem is guys being "run off" based solely on the word of one person. Sorta like the game the Dems tried to play with Kavanaugh.

Ford took a lie detector test, Kavanaugh didn't

A lot of people came forward to cast doubt on Kavanaugh's story.

Republicans rigged the investigation, the FBI didn't come to  a conclusion.

So if that is the Republican  idea of " due process " with regards to women, then I suggest women take matters into their own hands with regard to sexual assault  / sexual harassment and the Republican Party.

I'm not calling for violence.

Women don't have to put up with this stuff anymore. 

Times have changed.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 38

It’s hard to find the words to describe devos...especially any good ones. She seems to be in the same mold as other current and past trump cabinet members: no real knowledge of their department, an extreme opposition to their department, and their expectations of being treated like royalty during their “reign”. devos is running our educational system into the ground with no good results to be realized from her “leadership”?

And concerning assault on women, I’m hearing that some think this situation will just take care of itself. That mode has not worked for several hundred years, but it’s the mode that trump and supporters want us to believe. To even start on that path, we need good role models...we have trump...I rest my case.

We are suppose to make it easier to determine assault, not harder!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 38

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

If the boys can't control themselves because they have raging hormones, or they drink to much beer, or they are immature, or they're just misogynist.

Shouldn't they be the ones run off, and not the objects of their unwelcome  " affections "?

Yes, the boys committing the actions should be the ones being "run off", not the victims. These are exactly my sentiments. Devos's changes makes it harder for that to happen. It's surprising because she is, after-all, a woman.

The proposed improvements do not "demolish" as the overly dramatic yet dishonest title claims. It is a matter of clarifying the issue so it is fair and doable.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 38

@gruffstuff wrote:

If the boys can't control themselves because they have raging hormones, or they drink to much beer, or they are immature, or they're just misogynist.

Shouldn't they be the ones run off, and not the objects of their unwelcome  " affections "?

Yes, the boys committing the actions should be the ones being "run off", not the victims. These are exactly my sentiments. Devos's changes makes it harder for that to happen. It's surprising because she is, after-all, a woman.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 38

@retiredtraveler wrote:

@angeleyes64 wrote:
@retiredtravelersaid :
...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."

If I'm reading this right are the girls AND boys victims?
If I am how is a boy a victim?

That's a general sentiment I have about life in general. That's why it's my signature. Not attached to any issue in particular. Just a philosophy that few people in this country act like adults and take charge of their lives. The majority of people (imho) go through their lives doing little to nothing to advance their health, further their education, or handle their general welfare (largely meaning personal finance). 

Too many people just 'show up' for life, not taking charge or resonsibility.

Obviously, it's mostly a contradition to your sig about 'living for today'. I have always planned for the future since I was young.

No one should have to "take personal responsibility" for being raped, sodomized, sexually abused/assaulted, nor discriminated against because of race, gender, age, or religious beliefs.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 38

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...When your daughter or grand daughter drops out of college because she was raped at the college / university and when she did the right thing and reported it to the College Admin, who under DeVos can say - not our problem....remember you words.      They are misogynistic....".

It isn't her problem. Again, there is absolutely nothing I can find that shows that Title IX has reduced the harassment problem, or changed the attitude and behavior of college boys. You can't solve the problem at the fed level --- and they have not. No funds witheld, and virtually no compliance with the law. 

This is a societal issue with young men lacking morals. Title IX can't fix it. It has to be done right there at the school. 

Seems the GOPerLords put out the word that their minions are to conflate the damage DeVos is doing to equality of opportunity in atheletics with her granting protections to those who rape college students.

These are two different outrages, two unique attacks on decency and equality and promoting the idea that anyone who is raped was asking for it. The absurd notion that somehow you cannot influence the behavior of college administrations by telling them if they do not create an atmosphere where rape victims are given support to bring their attackers to justice you do not get money from the Government is naive.

This is just another boil on the posterior of our society created by electing a sexual predator as POTUS and putting another on SCOTUS. 

DeVos's actions are also directed to protect the rich by eliminating what had become a Public Defender for the rape victims. Now only rich girls will have the resources to hire the legal representation to pursue their attackers, which is how Republicans think the World should work.

As always, GOPerLords, minions, boil on the posterior, class envy, etc. but when it get to the actual topic - it all falls apart. No one has said that a rape victim deserved it. It merely focused the responsibilities of dealing with rape claims. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors