Honored Social Butterfly

Bernie: "Donate to Meals on Wheels and other..."

Bernie Sanders - "Donate to Meals on Wheels"

Bernie: In just a minute, I’m going to ask you to split a contribution between five charities helping people deeply affected by the coronavirus pandemic. First, please let me explain why this ask is so important.

We are likely already in a recession because of the coronavirus. It's been estimated that the unemployment rate could hit 20% if we don't act boldly.

All across the country, stores, bars, restaurants, and other small businesses are closing their doors. Many are laying off workers, reducing hours, or going out of business entirely.

We wanted to ask you to support five charities who are assisting those who need help right now.

These five groups — Meals on Wheels, No Kid Hungry, Restaurant Workers’ Community Foundation COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund, One Fair Wage Emergency Fund, and the National Domestic Workers Alliance — are helping people affected. And they can use your financial support right now.

That is why I’m asking:

Meals on Wheels...

Honored Social Butterfly

Bernie Sanders’s charitable contributions of less than 1%     fell far under the average for his income bracket the first year he reported earning more than $1 million.     Was info obtained when Sanders released 10 years of tax returns  .....

That's BERNIE.....do as I say...not as I do.    (always a  big talker)  

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

bernie bros delivering meals on wheels...lol they more than likely rob meals on wheels deliveries. They are too lazy to do anything unless it involves 'free stuff'! bernie hinself is UNABLE!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

: Bernie: "Donate to Meals on Wheels and other..."

Did the Trump Party ever actually manage to strip 3 billion dollars from the community block program that helps fund Meals on Wheels?

Were Democrats able to stop that from happening?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

: Bernie: "Donate to Meals on Wheels and other..."

Did the Trump Party ever actually manage to strip 3 billion dollars from the community block program that helps fund Meals on Wheels?

Were Democrats able to stop that from happening?

A BI-partisan effort, a wheeling and dealing, seems when ALL of them want to get something done - they find a way.

WBUR 12/20/2019 - Senior Nutrition Programs Get $30M More In Funding Next Year.  

Tucked away in the $1.4 trillion budget deal that Congress sent to President Trump on Friday is a $30 million increase in funding for a small but noteworthy program: senior nutrition.

The bipartisan deal allocated an additional $15 million to both congregate and home-delivered meals, bringing the total funding for senior nutrition under the Older Americans Act to $936.8 million.

In my community, we don't just rely on these funds - we get donations from United Way and LOTS of churches -  As our program has grown in those needing the service, these groups have also stepped up in funds.  We also use low-risk prisoners to help with the heavy lifting in the prep and loading. 

To my knowledge, we have never had to refuse anybody or even had a waitlist.  Course I do live in a rather small locality.

Some seniors pay for the service - they may need it for awhile or for the long terms - just depends on their situation.   It is based on income and the meals are around $ 5.00 - $ 6.00 each and for many they are big enough to eat for (2) meals.

The only complaint that I have heard several times is "TOO MANY PEAS" - I pass it on but peas do seem to be a staple of our Meals on Wheels - some people like them, I do.

Honored Social Butterfly

My church is coordinating with uber and local restaurants to deliver meals. More importantly is.... food that can be stored like canned goods and cured foods. In fact, we've set up a line where folks can call if they have specific food requirements like gluton free, low sodium, etc. Also medication deliveries.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

A sincere Thank You to all that deliver and support the program! We are in your debt and need more to support the program. Both funding wise and delivery!!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

Meals on Wheels, Brevard County, Florida.

The local newspaper ran a story on Meals on Wheels and the Corona Virus....

meals on wheels brevard.jpg

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Huge believer in meals on wheels. My wife and I have delivered them for years in our community. We need this as part of the virus package congress is discussing.  More funding needed over and above what now is in place!

Honored Social Butterfly

March 21, 2020

'Not Done Yet': Bernie Sanders Campaign Mobilizes Donors for Coronavirus Relief and Raises $2 Million

"The Bernie Sanders campaign puts its fundraising prowess to another purpose."

Sen. Bernie Sanders' for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination campaign's prodigious fundraising operation raised $2 million for charities helping those most affected by the coronavirus outbreak crisis in the last 48 hours in a move that supporters said exemplified the message of solidarity the Vermont lawmaker has run on.

The campaign mobilized staff and volunteers to text and call to raise money for five charities:

Meals on Wheels
No Kid Hungry
Restaurant Workers’ Community Foundation COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund
One Fair Wage Emergency Fund
National Domestic Workers Alliance.

The people supporting this campaign have made more than 50,000 donations to help those most impacted by coronavirus because they understand that now more than ever it is important that we are in this together.
According to the campaign, there will be more efforts to raise money for the least fortunate affected by the crisis in the coming days.

Sanders has taken a leadership role on handling the crisis both in Washington and nationally.

As Common Dreams reported Friday, Sanders' remaining rival for the Democratic nomination, former Vice President Joe Biden, has not been seen in days.

"Trump is in front of the cameras every day, reassuring people, putting on the appearance of 'leadership,'" said one Democratic critic. "Where is Biden? Why isn't he dominating the airwaves?"

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/20/whereisjoe-biden-trends-sanders-host-coronavirus-roundt...

On Friday night, during a roundtable on the outbreak, Sanders said that the crisis can only be solved by innovative thinking and extreme measures.

"In this extraordinary moment in American and world history, we have got to think outside the box in a way that we have never done," said Sanders. "This is an unprecedented moment and we have got to think in an unprecedented way."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/21/not-done-yet-bernie-sanders-campaign-mobilizes-donors-c...

Honored Social Butterfly

In the total absence of leasership from ToadPOTUS, it is encouraging to see BernieBro's step up to help their fellow Americans.

Let's hope this continues into the general election where a tiny fraction of Bernie supporters NOT voting for Biden will AGAIN throw the election to the Toad.

Here's the number of Bernie's Primary vote count, the Toad's margin of victory in November, and the percent of Bernie supporters that would accoaunt for that margin:

State              BernieBros     Toad margin     PCT            ElecVotes

Wisconsin        570,192              22,748            4.0%              10

Michigan           598,443              10,704            1.8%              16

Pennsylvania    731,881              44,292            6.1%              20

Toad Electoral votes    304  - 46 =  258

Hillary Electoral votes  227  + 46 = 273

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In the total absence of leasership from ToadPOTUS, it is encouraging to see BernieBro's step up to help their fellow Americans.

Let's hope this continues into the general election where a tiny fraction of Bernie supporters NOT voting for Biden will AGAIN throw the election to the Toad.

Here's the number of Bernie's Primary vote count, the Toad's margin of victory in November, and the percent of Bernie supporters that would accoaunt for that margin:

State              "BernieBros"     Toad margin     PCT            ElecVotes

Wisconsin        570,192              22,748            4.0%              10

Michigan           598,443              10,704            1.8%              16

Pennsylvania    731,881              44,292            6.1%              20

Toad Electoral votes    304  - 46 =  258

Hillary Electoral votes  227  + 46 = 273

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The National Nurses United Union endorsed Bernie Sanders in 2016 and 2020. Their top issue----->"Medicare for All".

I'm sure those nurses are concerned about the Corona Virus outbreak and feel for those most at risk physically, emotionally and financially, than they are concerned about how Hillary lost the 2016 election.

Those "women" likely donated to these charities.

Count the "Bernie Bros"....

bernie nurses bus 1.jpg

bernie nurses for bernie.jpg

bernie women for bernie 2.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Bernie Bros? Seriously...

I'll bet about half those 50,000 donations came from women.

Honored Social Butterfly

@gordyfl wrote:

Bernie Bros? Seriously...

I'll bet about half those 50,000 donations came from women.

I don't see "BROS" of any sort stepping up to volunteer for deliveries

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I notice how a few on this board search desperately for something dark object to pin on our president. That's a shame in such times where most Americans are showing up dressed in a caring heart and an American attitude.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
I notice how a few on this board search desperately for something dark object to pin on our president. That's a shame in such times where most Americans are showing up dressed in a caring heart and an American attitude.

They do not have to look far as his supporters do it all the time with what they think are cute tags, but are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

They do not have to look far as his supporters do it all the time with what they think are cute tags, but are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I 'm pretty sure president Trump supporters aren't the source of words like rapists, nazi's, white supremacistss, racists, xenophobes... etc. That vocabulary is part and parcel of the loony left.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

I 'm pretty sure president Trump supporters aren't the source of words like rapists, nazi's, white supremacistss, racists, xenophobes... etc. That vocabulary is part and parcel of the loony left.  

No they are not as those words fit what is happening to the USA. Trump supporters per the experts: Mostly white, rural, poor, uneducated, easy to lead.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

No they are not as those words fit what is happening to the USA. Trump supporters per the experts: Mostly white, rural, poor, uneducated, easy to lead.

Can you provide a link to your "experts"? I'd be interested to read what 'they' think.  I suppose you abhor identity politics... right?

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you for posting this Gordyfl. Meals on Wheels has been vital for many seniors and now with this virus making it so dangerous for many seniors to go into the public for groceries and other supplies, Meals on Wheels becomes so much more important to them.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

. . . . . . Meals on Wheels has been vital for many seniors and now with this virus making it so dangerous for many seniors to go into the public for groceries and other supplies, Meals on Wheels becomes so much more important to them.

Yep - now all we need are volunteers to deliver them. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

. . . . . . Meals on Wheels has been vital for many seniors and now with this virus making it so dangerous for many seniors to go into the public for groceries and other supplies, Meals on Wheels becomes so much more important to them.

Yep, and there are many that are willing. I read ahead and noticed that you do, and thank you.  I would do it if my immune system wasn't so low.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My sister and her husband volunteer each week delivering the meals on wheels. It takes them about three hours. They do it on a regular schedule. Same time each week.

When my mother was alive she would recieve Meals on Wheels daily.

One time while I was visiting her, Meals on Wheels arrived. The meals are well-balanced. She lived alone and looked forward to their meals. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@gordyfl wrote:
@ChasKy53 wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My sister and her husband volunteer each week delivering the meals on wheels. It takes them about three hours. They do it on a regular schedule. Same time each week.

When my mother was alive she would recieve Meals on Wheels daily.

One time while I was visiting her, Meals on Wheels arrived. The meals are well-balanced. She lived alone and looked forward to their meals. 

Yes, I volunteer too - in fact, that is where I was yesterday.  I have "regulars" - and they seem to understand right now why my visits can't be more personable.  In my community, if the resident invites us in, which many of my regulars do, we can chat for a few minutes but all the while, I am asking about and looking around to see if anything else that needs to be taken care of, then I report it, the senior health staff will follow up and if need be, we have some local staff/workers from various churches that will contact the resident.  Things like crucial light bulbs burned out or an abnormal number of them, if their smoke detectors has been tested or it is beeping, apparent roof leaks, floor falling in - just about anything that we feel needs additional follow up.

The number of people getting the Meals on Wheels is growing in my community.  This seems due to family caregivers social (physically) distancing due to this virus.  But we have also seen a reduced number of volunteers for the same reason - social (physical) distancing or they have kids at home now.

Yesterday, when one of my regulars answered the door, her family was there - several.  I heard one of them remark - "hey, how do we all sign up for this since we are here now"?  I left thinking, normally the meal is enough for (2) meals for a normal (smaller woman) eater - lunch and dinner - but I left wondering if she even got any of it.

Honored Social Butterfly

Gail wrote:

Yes, I volunteer too - in fact, that is where I was yesterday.  I have "regulars" - and they seem to understand right now why my visits can't be more personable. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I spoke to my sister today and asked her about Meals on Wheels. She and her husband have been delivering the meals for three years. Her husband has a difficult time climbing stairs, so my sister does the stairs. She has two knee implants, but you wouldn't know it. She gets around well.

She and her husband talk briefly with some of the customers. They don't go as far as you do.

Sometimes they bring the grandchldren along in their deliveries. 

If no one answers the door, they make a note. If the following day no one answers again, Meals on Wheels finds out why.

One woman in her branch who delivers the meals, is in her 90s, my sister said.

Some bring their dog along, either for companionship or protection.

Meals on Wheels provides rubber gloves to all its deliverers. They also pay for the gasoline.

My sister and her husband would sometimes have as many as 14 stops in one day. Recently it's been less as they have more volunteers.

She mentioned one of their customers. A very old man who lived alone. He would ask them to put the meal in the refrigerator. The refrigerator was always empty. It apperaed he relied entirely on Meals on Wheels. He would get two meals on wheels per day - lunch and dinner. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png