Medicare open enrollment ends Dec. 7! Get the information you need from AARP’s Medicare resource center.

Reply
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
191
Views

Re: Bernie Sanders town hall

191 Views
Message 61 of 75

@jimc91 wrote:

OK... So what is the acceptable rate?

 

 


I think you are approaching it the wrong way. First, we determine the nations needs in education, housing, health care, defense, etc. That gives us a budget. Then we  put together a simple spreadsheet with the percentage of wealth and income each income level receives. Then you multiply the percentage by the dollars needed and OH LOOK, the upper 1% has to pick up 90% of the bill. 

 

Seems fair to me.  (Republicans just love bumper sticker solutions, don't they?)

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
191
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
184
Views

Re: Bernie Sanders town hall

184 Views
Message 62 of 75

@L42010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@L42010 wrote:

In my opinion, many of the right do not have the capability of accepting that change is needed and you have to have a starting point to think out of the BOX (dogma).  I hear how they want to continue down this path that the Citizens United decision has created; a system of the lobby industry runs the country and pushes more into the lower classes....far too many only living paycheck to paycheck with little or no savings and retirement programs are unobtainable.  Thanks to you all who love to sit back, criticize and watch the generations after you struggle in the world that you also helped create. You may be surprised at the younger generations deep concern for the environment, economy and the social welfare of this country. They know it is time for equality, fair justice and a sustainable environment.


Your post sounds like the "solution" is redistribution of the wealth? Where have I heard that before?


With all due respect, I ask what is your solution?  Is it something I probably have already heard?


I would say that most likely you have heard this "solution" many times. The federal government should be as small as possible and interfere the minimum possible. It should foster success by working hard and educating yourself. It should not get in the way of those goals by punitive taxes, discouraging hard work/success. It should NOT reward people for being lazy and NOT working unless unable to work by disability. It should not solve all problems. It should have an immigration system that works (not working now). It should not rely on taxes to solve all problems (Climate Change).

 

Equality does not mean equal wealth!

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
184
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
189
Views

Re: Bernie Sanders town hall

189 Views
Message 63 of 75

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@L42010 wrote:

In my opinion, many of the right do not have the capability of accepting that change is needed and you have to have a starting point to think out of the BOX (dogma).  I hear how they want to continue down this path that the Citizens United decision has created; a system of the lobby industry runs the country and pushes more into the lower classes....far too many only living paycheck to paycheck with little or no savings and retirement programs are unobtainable.  Thanks to you all who love to sit back, criticize and watch the generations after you struggle in the world that you also helped create. You may be surprised at the younger generations deep concern for the environment, economy and the social welfare of this country. They know it is time for equality, fair justice and a sustainable environment.


Your post sounds like the "solution" is redistribution of the wealth? Where have I heard that before?


With all due respect, I ask what is your solution?  Is it something I probably have already heard?

"Treat others as You would have Them treat you"
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
189
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
193
Views

Re: Bernie Sanders town hall

193 Views
Message 64 of 75

@L42010 wrote:

In my opinion, many of the right do not have the capability of accepting that change is needed and you have to have a starting point to think out of the BOX (dogma).  I hear how they want to continue down this path that the Citizens United decision has created; a system of the lobby industry runs the country and pushes more into the lower classes....far too many only living paycheck to paycheck with little or no savings and retirement programs are unobtainable.  Thanks to you all who love to sit back, criticize and watch the generations after you struggle in the world that you also helped create. You may be surprised at the younger generations deep concern for the environment, economy and the social welfare of this country. They know it is time for equality, fair justice and a sustainable environment.


Your post sounds like the "solution" is redistribution of the wealth? Where have I heard that before?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
193
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
196
Views

Re: Bernie Sanders town hall

196 Views
Message 65 of 75

In my opinion, many of the right do not have the capability of accepting that change is needed and you have to have a starting point to think out of the BOX (dogma).  I hear how they want to continue down this path that the Citizens United decision has created; a system of the lobby industry runs the country and pushes more into the lower classes....far too many only living paycheck to paycheck with little or no savings and retirement programs are unobtainable.  Thanks to you all who love to sit back, criticize and watch the generations after you struggle in the world that you also helped create. You may be surprised at the younger generations deep concern for the environment, economy and the social welfare of this country. They know it is time for equality, fair justice and a sustainable environment.

"Treat others as You would have Them treat you"
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
196
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
201
Views

Re: Bernie Sanders town hall

201 Views
Message 66 of 75

Fishslayer:  Ole Bern, in Bethlehem PA did quite well at a town hall meeting. Who wouldn't want or love what he's promising? Who wouldn't want more and better everything? 

 

 

This sounds exactly like what Trump making promises to get elected. Bring back coal, bring back manufacturing jobs, and everyone will get cheaper and better healthcare. Why is this outrageous when Bernie says it? LOL

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
201
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
205
Views

Re: Bernie Sanders town hall

205 Views
Message 67 of 75

OK... So what is the acceptable rate?

 

 

VIMTSTL
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
205
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
209
Views

Re: Bernie Sanders town hall

209 Views
Message 68 of 75

@Soosie wrote:

“Democratic socialism to me is creating a government and an economy and a society which works for all, rather than just the top 1 percent. It means ending the absurd inequalities that exist today.”.............@Richva, can you better explain why you think the absurd inequalities exist today? Is it because of taxes, our culture, different levels of ambition, personal drive or skills, pure luck or some other reason?


It is because of the natural advantages enjoyed by the wealthy are now  denied to the middle and lower income levels.  When millions of soldiers came back after WWII, we paid for their tuition and helped them purchase homes. The result was a well educated workforce with an appreciated asset. Today, we have replaced that with impossible student debt which does not impact the rich.  

 

We once had unions which allowed the middle and lower income classes to share in the wealth produced by our economy.  The wealthy quickly discovered how to fight unions so wages dropped and the benefits of capitalism are funneled to the wealthy. 

 

The wealthy argue that they should not be required to pay to provide education, health care, and housiing programs for the non-wealthy. Since they find it cheaper to invest in lobbyists than fund programs which will "level the playing field", the natural advantages they enjoy continue to take economic benefits from  the middle and lower income classes.

 

 

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
209
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
213
Views

Re: Bernie Sanders town hall

213 Views
Message 69 of 75

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Ole Bern, in Bethlehem PA did quite well at a town hall meeting. Who wouldn't want or love what he's promising? Who wouldn't want more and better everything? especially If your piece of the pie is small or you believe you're entitled to "more". No one,  is my guess. 

 

So how much is his panacea gonna cost us?

 

What is the acceptable tax rate?


Let's begin with the one we had in 1980 before Reagan shifted the burden of Government from the rich to the Middle Class.

During that time:

The gap between rich and poor shrank each year

 

Workers had an average savings rate of 10%

 

MOST of the profits created by increased worker productivity flowed back to the worker in higher pay.

 

Our Nation's infrastructure IMPROVED each year. (We built the I-State)

 

Elem and secondary education was #1 in the World (vs 27th today)

 

National Debt was 32% of GDP (vs 105% in 2018)

 

Revenue sharing kept other taxes LOW, and everyone could afford college.

 

The average effective rate for the top 1% was 46% and not a single CEO quit because his taxes were too high.

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
213
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
226
Views

Re: Bernie Sanders town hall

226 Views
Message 70 of 75

@Soosie wrote:

“Democratic socialism to me is creating a government and an economy and a society which works for all, rather than just the top 1 percent. It means ending the absurd inequalities that exist today.”.............@Richva, can you better explain why you think the absurd inequalities exist today? Is it because of taxes, our culture, different levels of ambition, personal drive or skills, pure luck or some other reason?


There are Nordic countries that have avoided running their country like the butt-brained morons in the current tRump maladministration as well as the conservative portions of our congress...

 

Not hard to figure out what those dishonest right wing frauds, charlatans, and crooks are doing wrong...

 

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
226
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22

Top Authors