Regular Contributor

Being summoned for Jury Duty

Our own government doesn't even follow its own recommendations.  For example.  Today I was sent jury duty notice for the US District Court in Oklahoma.  That is a Federal court.  They allow people over 70 to not have to serve.  But I am 67 and still have to serve.  They will put me in a room full of people after telling me I should stay at home.  Sure they say they will provide masks and gloves.  But they also say they can't guarantee you won't catch Covid19 and it is our duty to serve and we must put our lives at risk.  I have followed their recommendations and have stayed home, now they are the ones forcing me to put my life at risk.  They claim to care about the most vulnerable of the population. But when it comes to what, they want they don't care about you at all.  Just their sound bites.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Being summoned for Jury Duty

Lie.

Call up and tell them you think you've  been exposed top COVID-19,  you're not feeling well,  you have a low grade fever, and you have a dry cough.

Tell them you've been trying to call your doctor, and you're afraid to go to the hospital.

Honored Social Butterfly

Apparently you have to opt out via Medical excuse on a Friday - before becoming a jurist on Monday.   How can that be, if the symptoms for Covid19 appear quite rapidly.    Well that and the fact that testing positive takes how long in OK.    If there is insufficient spacing for potential jurists I would consider that as potential for panic attack.     Make the State do the right thing and if they can't / won't - PANIC!

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

My experience with jury duty is that many people are called to appear and then their numbers are whittled down per questions from both counsels or a court administrator when you're called to their desk..

Wear a disposable hazmat suit, mask and gloves to that first appointment.  Social distance yourself as best you can in that crowd.  "I don't feel well" could set you free.

Fulfill any dreams you've had of an on stage performance.

There really are plenty of people who actually want to be jurors for many reasons.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly
Regular Contributor

I agree with what it says.  But I can't get through to the doctor. The Person answering the phone at the doctor's office says it is up to me if I should go.  Since I don't have a positive Covid test currently there is no reason to contact the doctor about whether I should get an exemption.  According to her preexisting conditions and age do not matter and she won't send the information to the doctor.  Lay people making medical decisions.  

Our health care system in Oklahoma is one of the worst on the country.  You can hardly get an appointment to see a doctor.  Oklahoma is ranked 48 out of 50 states for doctors per capita.  You're lucky to even have a doctor let alone hope they are anyone good.  They have set up so many road blocks to getting through to the doctor.  It took me several days to get an OK to come in for my yearly check up so they could renew my prescriptions.  But that is still over a month away.  That same woman didn't want to let me into the office because I might spread Covid.  Better for me to have complications without my medications than see the doctor.   It is very frustrating.  So without a doctor's note, which I can't get, I will have to serve.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I'm sure that in today's atmosphere the Federal Court will make some accommodation for distancing.  Pay isn't so bad either, depending on the location

Federal jurors are paid $50 a day. Jurors can receive up to $60 a day after serving 45 days on a grand jury. (Employees of the federal government are paid their regular salary in lieu of this fee.) Jurors also are reimbursed for reasonable transportation expenses and parking fees.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@shamit    If you really don't want to go, simply go to the doctor and see if they can give you a pss that you can present to the court   I would suggest  short memory loss.  
haha1.jpg

no name
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png