Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Baltimore Removes 4 Confederate Statues Last Night

Message 41 of 63

@GailL1 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:
What about the confederate statues put up as opposition to the civil rights movement?

Can you name any ?  I don't know.

Joy Reid said that last night but she got a mostly false from the fact checkers

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2017/aug/15/joy-reid/did-confederate-symbols-gain-pr...

I can only find a total list giving dates..on i saw was in 1996. the pint is, it did happen, and as a means of intimidation and furthering Jim Crow. The entire page is worth a read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/08/16/how-statues-of-robert-e-lee-and-other-c...

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 63

@MIseker wrote:
What about the confederate statues put up as opposition to the civil rights movement?

Can you name any ?  I don't know.

Joy Reid said that last night but she got a mostly false from the fact checkers

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2017/aug/15/joy-reid/did-confederate-symbols-gain-pr...

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 63
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 63

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

I don't think the pain suffered by white Confederates can ever be compared to the pain of slavery.   

No truer words have been posted here.....

"Oh, the pain of not owning my slaves any longer.  I'm going to have to do my own work and get my own beer."

White-Noise.jpg

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 63

Racism is wrong and we punish it here in my neck of the woods as your link showed.

My post was about history and why these Civil War statues and memorials now exist and I question what might be accomplished by removal of them - 

Removing them will not make education better, it won't put food in a kid's stomach, it won't reroof the home of a poor elderly person, it won't get people health care - and on and on.

I doubt it will cure racism or other injustices.  usually handling those situations on a more one-one basis gives swifter justice.

I am just a believer in setting priorities and for me, and others, removal of these statues and memorials isn't a priority since there are a lot more important things.

What exactly is the reasoning for removal?  I am sure we could come up with some other way to handle hate groups rather than some object,which you think attracts them.   Seems by removing these statues and memorials that just gives them more to steam about.

Sorry, Centristin2010 - I think honing in on objects and names with a link to the Civil War is not how to stop hate in the present day.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 63

@MIseker wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

From the Onion

trib.al/TnCEKbQ

lol.

Q: What is his position on monuments memorializing Civil War veterans?

A: Trump has been consistently in favor of Confederate statues despite a historical antipathy toward losers.

Trump Warns Removing Confederate Statues Could Be Slippery Slope To Eliminating Racism Entirely - Th...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 63

@NerdyMom wrote:

I don't think the pain suffered by white Confederates can ever be compared to the pain of slavery.   

No truer words have been posted here.....

"Oh, the pain of not owning my slaves any longer.  I'm going to have to do my own work and get my own beer."

Nothing but racist pieces of scum......just like their President.....and they complain about an entitled mindset???  PUH-LEEEEEZE!

They drained the swamp and flowed right into Charlottesville last week-end.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 63

@Panjandrum wrote:

From the Onion

trib.al/TnCEKbQ

lol.

Q: What is his position on monuments memorializing Civil War veterans?

A: Trump has been consistently in favor of Confederate statues despite a historical antipathy toward losers.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 63

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 63

@GailL1 wrote:

The South doesn't want to "rise again" - at least for the majority of us - we want to solve our societal problems - and there are plenty of those to pick from as to urgency.

Racism IS a societal problem, Gail.  Do you think it may be because you are white that you don't find it an urgent issue?  Look in your heart and soul.  YOU don't live with it every day of your life!

Did you forget this issue in YOUR community?

Georgia couple gets prison for racist threats at child's birthday party

Did you?  Nothing but White Priviledge believing they could terrorize a young child's birthday party.

151014215945-confederate-flag-charges-georgia-savidge-dnt-ac-00002211-full-169.jpg

And you don't find this issue urgent.....that disgusts me.  And you know I've supported you here when you were attacked mercilessly by both Cons and Libs.....I consider myself a Gail supporter and have called you one of the forums more brighter lights.  You've had a tremendous lapse on this issue........not urgent. Would you feel the same had it been YOUR grandchildren terrorized???

Those who are stirring this pot, "on both sides", are doing it for political gain or just to cause havoc, IMO.  Your opinion, but the fact is, some claim "I'm stirring the pot" and I am, but it's not for political purposes, the chips will fall where the may; it's for one simple reason - this forum is made up of almost ALL whites ---- WE ARE THE PROBLEM.....WE CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!  Many here, ignore it, blame others or say, it's not urgent in their lives.  PATHETIC, INDEED!  Does it matter????  The blood is on your hands and those who wonderr if it matters.  Does the Constitution matter to you, Gail?  Why doesn't it apply to all Americans equally?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22