Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Baltimore Removes 4 Confederate Statues Last Night

Message 31 of 63

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Baltimore hauls away four Confederate monuments after overnight removal

Crews removed Baltimore’s Confederate statues early Wednesday, days after the deadly unrest in Charlottesville instigated by white nationalists rallying to defend a downtown Confederate monument.

The quiet and sudden removal of four monuments

Social change yes... How will our great great great grandchildren know what took place after the progressives erase the reality of actual history?

Books.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 63

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Crews removed Baltimore’s Confederate statues early Wednesday, days after the deadly unrest in Charlottesville instigated by white nationalists rallying to defend a downtown Confederate monument.

The quiet and sudden removal of four monuments, with little fanfare and no advance notice, marks an attempt by the city to avoid a long, bruising conflict that has embroiled Charlottesville and other communities rethinking how they honor figures who fought to preserve slavery.

Baltimore Mayor Catherine E. Pugh (D) announced Monday she was in talks with contractors to haul away the statues, and the city council approved a removal plan that night. Some activists had vowed to destroy the monuments before government could act.

Photos and video posted on social media Wednesday morning showed crews using cranes to remove statues of Confederate Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson, hauled away on a flatbed truck. Statues honoring Confederate women and Roger B. Taney, the former chief justice who authored the notorious proslavery Dred Scott decision, were also removed.

more at:  Baltimore hauls away four Confederate monuments after overnight removal

Social change is here....amen!

Social change yes... How will our great great great grandchildren know what took place after the progressives erase the reality of actual history?  The same way your great grandchildren learn Jesus walked with the dinosaurs......  PUH-LEEEEZ!  Certainly you don't think people are as dumb as you appear to think they are......

Those that do not learn from history are DOOMED to repeat it.  I guess Conservatives didn't learn from Hitler being elected.....

Enjoy your social change...  I will.  Thank you.

Talk about Hitler... Again?   Its not Trump its the progressive movement but you can't see it for the blind hatred for a man...    That makes absolutely no sense......

Sad.....yes, the proganda you spew is certainly.....sad......

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 63

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Sorry, Centristin2010 - I think honing in on objects and names with a link to the Civil War is not how to stop hate in the present day.  I have no idea what your talking about....but try to be objective here.  Would you really want a statue outside your home of a person who oppressed, raped and assaulted your family?

I would really like to see an answer to that question Cent.

Democrats in 2020
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 63

@GailL1 wrote:

Racism is wrong and we punish it here in my neck of the woods as your link showed.  And whitie in her comfortable suburban home thinks there are more urgent issues to address.  How much time and effort does it take someone to address racism?  The attitude you portrayed in your post is the problem, not what to do about monuments.

Your attitude is the problem.

My post was about history and why these Civil War statues and memorials now exist and I question what might be accomplished by removal of them - I note you didn't question what might be accomplished with leaving them in place other than giving rednecks a sense of warmth.

Removing them will not make education better, it won't put food in a kid's stomach, it won't reroof the home of a poor elderly person, it won't get people health care - and on and on.  Removing them may give a minority a sense of freedom, a sense their world isn't a threat and isn't impowering every redneck with a flag in his truck yelling obscenties out the window as they squeal their tires and glare.  Why would anyone expect a white senior to understand, many haven't for most of their lives.....why start now?  Can't you put yourself in the place of a 7 year old black girl and think what she must face?  Of course not, but we can make an effort to try.

I doubt it will cure racism or other injustices.  usually handling those situations on a more one-one basis gives swifter justice.  It's a start.  And FAR better than making excuses to do nothing.

I am just a believer in setting priorities and for me, and others, removal of these statues and memorials isn't a priority since there are a lot more important things.  And you're white and it doesn't bother you at all.  If it did, it would be a higher priority, wouldn't it?

What exactly is the reasoning for removal? An equal playing field; comfort; security I am sure we could come up with some other way to handle hate groups rather than some object,which you think attracts them. There is no NEED for them.  The cost money to install and maintain them, money that could be used elsewhere. Seems by removing these statues and memorials that just gives them more to steam about.  Really?  How do you figure that?

Sorry, Centristin2010 - I think honing in on objects and names with a link to the Civil War is not how to stop hate in the present day.  I have no idea what your talking about....but try to be objective here.  Would you really want a statue outside your home of a person who oppressed, raped and assaulted your family?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 63

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

The quiet and sudden removal of four monuments, with little fanfare and no advance notice, marks an attempt by the city to avoid a long, bruising conflict that has embroiled Charlottesville and other communities rethinking how they honor figures who fought to preserve slavery.

Baltimore Mayor Catherine E. Pugh (D) announced Monday she was in talks with contractors to haul away the statues, and the city council approved a removal plan that night. Some activists had vowed to destroy the monuments before government could act.

Photos and video posted on social media Wednesday morning showed crews using cranes to remove statues of Confederate Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson, hauled away on a flatbed truck. Statues honoring Confederate women and Roger B. Taney, the former chief justice who authored the notorious proslavery Dred Scott decision, were also removed.

more at:  Baltimore hauls away four Confederate monuments after overnight removal

Social change yes... How will our great great great grandchildren know what took place after the progressives erase the reality of actual history?

Those that do not learn from history are DOOMED to repeat it.

Enjoy your social change...

Talk about Hitler... Its not Trump its the progressive movement but you can't see it for the blind hatred for a man... 

Sad...

It won't be hard to explain given that even a six year old can understand that only someone who is not mentally well could possibly believe it is ok for one person to own another...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 63

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Those that do not learn from history are DOOMED to repeat it.

Enjoy your social change...

Talk about Hitler... Its not Trump its the progressive movement but you can't see it for the blind hatred for a man... 

Sad...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 63

@rk9152 wrote:

I guess the next step is to remove all references to Harry Byrd and Bill Clinton's mentor, Sen. Fulbright.

But not until historical references to that crackpot loser Goldwater are permanently erased...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 63

I guess the next step is to remove all references to Harry Byrd and Bill Clinton's mentor, Sen. Fulbright.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 63

@GailL1 wrote:

Racism is wrong and we punish it here in my neck of the woods as your link showed.

My post was about history and why these Civil War statues and memorials now exist and I question what might be accomplished by removal of them - 

Removing them will not make education better, it won't put food in a kid's stomach, it won't reroof the home of a poor elderly person, it won't get people health care - and on and on.

I doubt it will cure racism or other injustices.  usually handling those situations on a more one-one basis gives swifter justice.

I am just a believer in setting priorities and for me, and others, removal of these statues and memorials isn't a priority since there are a lot more important things.

What exactly is the reasoning for removal?  I am sure we could come up with some other way to handle hate groups rather than some object,which you think attracts them.   Seems by removing these statues and memorials that just gives them more to steam about.

Sorry, Centristin2010 - I think honing in on objects and names with a link to the Civil War is not how to stop hate in the present day.

Put them in a museum or something.  In context.   Don't display them in a way that glorifies them.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 63

@MIseker wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:
What about the confederate statues put up as opposition to the civil rights movement?

Can you name any ?  I don't know.

Joy Reid said that last night but she got a mostly false from the fact checkers

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2017/aug/15/joy-reid/did-confederate-symbols-gain-pr...

I can only find a total list giving dates..on i saw was in 1996. the pint is, it did happen, and as a means of intimidation and furthering Jim Crow. The entire page is worth a read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/08/16/how-statues-of-robert-e-lee-and-other-c...

that was not the link I intended, but still a good one. here it is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monuments_and_memorials_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

note that joy reid was not COMPLETELY false..yes thats splitting hairs but the point remains.

Im not all for removing monuments put up before the civil rights movement, but they all need a plaque added to give an explanation of the civil war. in my "accidental" link Lee tell the south how to treat the war, and he is right. 

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors