Baltimore Removes 4 Confederate Statues Last Night

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Baltimore Removes 4 Confederate Statues Last Night

Message 51 of 63

Apparently the let the past just be ignores the part that the KKK was mostly destroyed only when taken to court and sued for huge sums of money.     Where did they get the money to get whole again.    Yes, we should care and remember that AA are being murdered at a much higher rate by police than whites.    The public education system is being destroyed by those who want to assure that minorities are under educated.    The system that allows everyone to vote is being systematically being destroyed to assure that minorities lose their right to vote.

So deny all you want - until minority rights are no longer targets of WASP, I will fight to assure that everyone has equal access and not have to feel the threat of KKK, Neo-Nazi's and White Supremist / Nationalist or Separatists.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 63

afisher

I have not read all your links but have read the VOX article on the Confederate statues and in part, they are correct.  A sentence in the VOX article reads:

"Critics argue, however, that these monuments are really about Southern pride, not commemorating a pro-slavery rebellion movement. They argue that trying to take down the Confederate symbols works to erase part of American history."

Have you ever wondered what it must have been like for these fallen states to come back into the Union fold of the "United States".  These states were wrong, they had been defeated, their dead fathers, sons and brothers had no just reason for death.  But these states were being brought back  into the union of states with their tails between their legs - defeated, demoralized and wrong.

Thus was born The Lost Cause  of the Confederacy propagated by many but best known by The Daughters of the Confederacy.  If you look back at the origins of many of these Civil War statues and Memorials, you will find that this group was behind many of them.

This whole movement with the accompanying actions of erecting the statues and the memorials was a way to save face so that these states could accept reconciliation.  

The Lost Cause was a literary and intellectual movement that sought to reconcile the traditional Southern white society to the defeat of the Confederate States of America in the Civil War. White Southerners sought consolation in attributing their loss to factors beyond their control and to betrayals of their heroes and cause. Those who contributed to the movement tended to portray the Confederacy's cause as noble and most of the Confederacy's leaders as exemplars of old-fashioned chivalry, defeated by the Union armies not through superior military skill, but by overwhelming force. 

IMO, the Union and past that government - state, local and federal - went along with this - slaves were free, no more slavery - the main goal was taken care of -so what's the harm of some statues and memorials for these States to save face, help to remember their fallen fathers, sons and brothers and most importantly, a way to blend the nation back into a whole part again.

This same philosophy was carried into history book - all for helping this group of states to save face and continue on to the rebuilding of the New South.

At the time and many years later, I doubt there was even a hint of thought about what blacks thought about the matter.  They were most likely trying to figure out this freedom thing.

None of this is too hard to figure out - history is what it is - we can be proud of it, claim it, because it was the stepping stone to where we are now or we can try to go back and redo it but with all this time and changes In between.

I wasn't alive then so I cannot say whether this was right or wrong - probably just the way things went.  I can say that we have a lot worse problems without stirring this pot again.

i have spoken to AA who live and have lived for a long time on a local street with a Confederate name - they could care less.  I have seen AA interviewed at Stone Mountain Park, enjoying the day with their families, even watching the fireworks on top of the mountain and many of them could care less.

The South doesn't want to "rise again" - at least for the majority of us - we want to solve our societal problems - and there are plenty of those to pick from as to urgency.   Those who are stirring this pot, "on both sides", are doing it for political gain or just to cause havoc, IMO.

Does it matter what happens - I really don't know.  Do you?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 63

From the Onion

trib.al/TnCEKbQ

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 63

@NerdyMom wrote:

Yay!   Now I wish we could change the lyrics to our treasonous Confederate state song, Maryland, My Maryland.   

Calls Lincoln a tyrant, a despot.  "Spurning the northern scum" and all that.  

It won't be long.....

Social change is coming......

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 63

@NerdyMom wrote:

Yay!   Now I wish we could change the lyrics to our treasonous Confederate state song, Maryland, My Maryland.   

Of course Lincoln liked the song "Dixie".  Look it up.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 63

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 63

Excellent information, afisher.

All Americans should read and watch this compelling information.  It's fascinating....

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 63

VICE has put together a documentary because they were embedded in Charlottesville.   Perhaps if the supporters of the KKK, Neo-Nazi, White Supremist / Nationalist / Separatists will learn from what they say as they sit comfortably behind their keyboards.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrcB1sAN8I&feature=youtu.be

The same people who are complaining about statues being removed are the closet racists and don't know squat about when many of the statues were created and why.    These same people say they know all about history and yet their words appear to prove them wrong.   Before they go all - but when ....blah blah blah, they apparently know nothing about US actual  history    https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/8/16/16151252/confederate-statues-white-supremacists

Do some German buildings from the 1930's -40's still exists....sure, are they proclaimed as monuments to Nazi greatness - NOPE.   But some never let facts get in the way of their rants and deflection to current events.   https://www.theguardian.com/books/gallery/2016/jun/02/nazi-architecture-then-and-now-in-pictures

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 63

@pc6063 wrote:

This is probably the smartest and safest way to rid this country of racist symbols.  These things belong in museums in rooms dedicated to a very dark and hate filled time in this country's history, not out on the streets to be glorified.  You do not see monuments to Hitler in Germany--it is illegal there to give a Nazi salute or brandish a swastika.  So it should be here.Hatred should never be glorified.  

Right you are, PC, right you are.

Cowards cling to the Confederate flag and monuments for their hate-filled hearts sake.

HBO interviewed several KKK/Alt-Right participants saying they were going to kill counter-protesters for their cause "just you watch" they declared.  One blamed the young woman killed saying she should have gotten out of the way.

Only a fool would suggest threats of killing others is protected speech.  These people, and those defending them we'll be revealed for who they are.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 63

@pc6063 wrote:

You do not see monuments to Hitler in Germany--it is illegal there to give a Nazi salute or brandish a swastika.  So it should be here.Hatred should never be glorified.  

Yes we should emulate Germany.  If you are involved in an automobile accident, the polizei or police will obtain a blood sample before medics or emergency personnel are allowed to tend to you. 

The local commander of the polizei unit was a friend.  We were discussing differences in laws here and there.  He said that he had the right to enter a residence based solely on suspicion, no warrant was required.

And not the law regarding rendering of the NAZI salute.  That wouldn't go over very well here in view of our constitutional rights.

Yes we need the same laws here don't we.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors