Get the information you need to help care for your eyes at the AARP Eye Center. Visit it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: BTW - Today is Martin Luther King Day!

Message 1 of 8

@n566192l wrote:

I also wish that Americans would stop the hate. Martin Luther King  teachings, should be practice daily. 

And yet you post this hate filled fraud - "I just wish the group of individuals, Martin Luther King stood up for where not targeted by the Russians".

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

I also wish that Americans would stop the hate. Martin Luther King  teachings, should be practice daily. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

I didn't post anything here about Martin Luther King but chose to have a conversation about him with some friends.  He was a leader of the civil rights movement.  He did it without promoting violence. I wonder how much more good this man could have done if there had not been the senseless killing of him.   I can remember the sadness I felt over the killing of this man.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

William 39198,

Great points 👍 in your post. I just wish the group of individuals, Martin Luther King stood up for where not targeted by the Russians.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

MLK was one of the first, thru media, that exposed our inner feelings about race. Why had many in the past, during his lifetime, and into our current times...

consider those of other races to be subhuman or lesser people? Perhaps from fear, ignorance, or misinformation.

From there, we all need to ask our ourselves, why can we not treat others as equals? Especially when those of other races want the same things from life that many of us want. Are we to fear or appreciate whatever differences that might exist? Some care and compassion 

might help. 

I speak of this from a white caucasian perspective. 

Never Forget. Open Government

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

I was so happy to see that many honored Martin Luther King today who would have been 86 years old. The soul kitchen in Red Bank,offered free meals to the furloughed workers from the federal government.Many other Church groups collected items for furloughed workers and other people suffering in America today. I am so glad that with all that is going on in America today,  many Americans still remember the Martin Luther King day.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

For those who are telling me to keep my mouth shut, I can’t do that. I’m against segregation at lunch counters, and I’m not going to segregate my moral concerns. And we must know on some positions, cowardice asks the question, “Is it safe?” Expediency asks the question, “Is it politic?” Vanity asks the question, “Is it popular?” But conscience asks the question, “Is it right?” And there’re times when you must take a stand that is neither safe nor politic nor popular, but you must do it because it is right.

Source - https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/02/martin-luther-king-hungry-club-forum/552533/

( " If I do not believe as you believe, it proves that you do not believe as I believe, and this is all that it proves. Sam Adams )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

BTW - Today is Martin Luther King Day!

Message 8 of 8

Martin Luther King Jr. Saw Three Evils in the World

Three major evils—the evil of racism, the evil of poverty, and the evil of war.

1. There can be no gainsaying of the fact that racism is still alive all over America. Racial injustice is still the Negro’s burden and America’s shame. And we must face the hard fact that many Americans would like to have a nation which is a democracy for white Americans but simultaneously a dictatorship over black Americans. We must face the fact that we still have much to do in the area of race relations.

2. The second evil that I want to deal with is the evil of poverty. Like a monstrous octopus it spreads its nagging prehensile tentacles into cities and hamlets and villages all over our nation. Some forty million of our brothers and sisters are poverty stricken, unable to gain the basic necessities of life. And so often we allow them to become invisible because our society’s so affluent that we don’t see the poor. Some of them are Mexican Americans. Some of them are Indians. Some are Puerto Ricans. Some are Appalachian whites. The vast majority are Negroes in proportion to their size in the population … Now there is nothing new about poverty. It’s been with us for years and centuries. What is new at this point though, is that we now have the resources, we now have the skills, we now have the techniques to get rid of poverty. And the question is whether our nation has the will …

3. Now I want to deal with the third evil that constitutes the dilemma of our nation and the world. And that is the evil of war. Somehow these three evils are tied together. The triple evils of racism, economic exploitation, and militarism. The great problem and the great challenge facing mankind today is to get rid of war … We have left ourselves as a nation morally and politically isolated in the world. We have greatly strengthened the forces of reaction in America, and excited violence and hatred among our own people. We have diverted attention from civil rights. During a period of war, when a nation becomes obsessed with the guns of war, social programs inevitably suffer. People become insensitive to pain and agony in their own midst …

Source - https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/02/martin-luther-king-hungry-club-forum/552533/

( " If I do not believe as you believe, it proves that you do not believe as I believe, and this is all that it proves. Sam Adams )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Replies