Recognized Social Butterfly

BAN NAZI INSIGNIA

In Germany, Hungary, and Poland, it is illegal to display Nazi symbols or express Nazi ideology. You can be imprisoned for up to five years for such offenses. In England, there is support for having all countries in the European Union enact similar laws. I wish our Congress would pass a constitutional amendment banning Neo-Nazi propaganda in any form: imposing fines and/or incarceration would suppress this virulent strain of white-nationalist extremism.

schlomo
Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Oh, but the supposed 'conservatives' would squeal, saying that it is of a Marxist nature to infringe on their 'freedom of speech'. Little would they realize that they would be the Marxists assisting the Neo-Nazis in gaining a stronger foothold.

Freedom of speech works both ways and if I don't like what you have to say, I have the freedom to tell you that. In a free society, evil should not go unchallenged.  If you do not challenge it, you are supporting it and the messages they are delivering.  Challenging their hate speech and pointing out how stupid they are is a right we have.  It is also time for people to realize that by supporting these groups (Nazis, KKK, etc) they are supporting terrorists who are trying to destroy our way of life.

I think you have misunderstood and we actually agree

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Oh, but the supposed 'conservatives' would squeal, saying that it is of a Marxist nature to infringe on their 'freedom of speech'. Little would they realize that they would be the Marxists assisting the Neo-Nazis in gaining a stronger foothold.

Freedom of speech works both ways and if I don't like what you have to say, I have the freedom to tell you that. In a free society, evil should not go unchallenged.  If you do not challenge it, you are supporting it and the messages they are delivering.  Challenging their hate speech and pointing out how stupid they are is a right we have.  It is also time for people to realize that by supporting these groups (Nazis, KKK, etc) they are supporting terrorists who are trying to destroy our way of life.

I think you have misunderstood and we actually agree

I knew we agreed, what I was commenting on was your comment on "conservatives", even though you did put it in quotes.  Real conservatives understand what free speech is and that everybody has the right to it.  Somebody shouting down a speaker because they don't like the message is free speech, not oppression of it.  The people on here who would defend one group's right to assemble while denying it to another are NOT conservatives, they are extremists who seem to believe that people cannot see through their transparent bigotry.

Honored Social Butterfly

Republicans demand only "strict constructionists" be seated on SCOTUS. that's because in the Founding Fathers world hatred could only be spread by word of mouth and the printed word. So in the mind of those who think we must discern what was intended 240 years ago as if those years had not changed anything, "free speech" must remain totally unconstrained.

Thanks to all the Hillary Haters, we're stuck with that outlook for another generation as Der Trumper got another Nazi to replace the dead one, and will probably do it a couple more times.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Republicans demand only "strict constructionists" be seated on SCOTUS. that's because in the Founding Fathers world hatred could only be spread by word of mouth and the printed word. So in the mind of those who think we must discern what was intended 240 years ago as if those years had not changed anything, "free speech" must remain totally unconstrained.

Thanks to all the Hillary Haters, we're stuck with that outlook for another generation as Der Trumper got another Nazi to replace the dead one, and will probably do it a couple more times.

"The Founding Fathers' world hatred" - WOOF!!! your hatred for America just grows in leaps a bounds doesn't it??

I really wish you would start a topic describing your vision for an ideal nation - it sure isn't the USofA.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

"free speech" must remain totally unconstrained.

You might remind some of your liberals of the bit about free speech must be totally unconstrained.  Several has accused those of defending free speech to be wrong and supporting the hate groups.

So you are saying that any one not supporting Hillary hates her?  But it's ok to keep posting about 'Der Trumper' whoever that is.  Isn't that indicating one's hate?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

Freedom of speech works both ways and if I don't like what you have to say, I have the freedom to tell you that.

Exactly!!!  And after suppressing any form of the NAZI symbols, what next?  That idea is exactly similar to what what was practiced when Hitler came to power. 

0 Kudos

@schlomo wrote:

In Germany, Hungary, and Poland, it is illegal to display Nazi symbols or express Nazi ideology. You can be imprisoned for up to five years for such offenses. In England, there is support for having all countries in the European Union enact similar laws. I wish our Congress would pass a constitutional amendment banning Neo-Nazi propaganda in any form: imposing fines and/or incarceration would suppress this virulent strain of white-nationalist extremism.

Sorry schlomo, but that would never stand up in court.  The only way to handle these idiots is for counter-protesters to show up every time they try to do anything in public (some posters on this site seem to have a problem with that, thus indirectly (or directly) supporting these idiots, who are actually terrorists.  It would also help to keep all of them out of public office.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

Sorry schlomo, but that would never stand up in court.  The only way to handle these idiots is for counter-protesters to show up every time they try to do anything in public (some posters on this site seem to have a problem with that, thus indirectly (or directly) supporting these idiots, who are actually terrorists.  It would also help to keep all of them out of public office.

I agree with the first part. But I disagree with the counter-protest idea. All that does is give these weekend reenactors the headlines they so need. The best approach is to ignore them.

It also gives the terrorists of outfits like antifa an excuse to exercise their violence and intimidation while being praised for "defending democracy" which is the exact opposite of what they are doing.

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

I agree with the first part. But I disagree with the counter-protest idea. All that does is give these weekend reenactors the headlines they so need. The best approach is to ignore them.

It also gives the terrorists of outfits like antifa an excuse to exercise their violence and intimidation while being praised for "defending democracy" which is the exact opposite of what they are doing.

Ignoring them was tried before and led to World War II.  In this day and age of so many "media outlets" (the Internet) they will get headlines no matter what.

I am not advocating violence.  What I am saying is that if 100 Nazis show up for a rally, 1,000 counter protesters arrive to shout them down and point out the absurdity of their beliefs.  Violence and intimidation is what is used by the Nazis and the KKK among others, to call out others for using the same tactics without calling out them is hypocritical.

And, before you say it, counter protesters shouting down Nazi and KKK speakers is not depriving them of their free speech rights since the counter protesters have just as much right to let their views be known.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

Ignoring them was tried before and led to World War II.  In this day and age of so many "media outlets" (the Internet) they will get headlines no matter what.

A little definition of terms is required here. The Nazis of the '30s were no weekend reenactors looking for attention. They were an organized band imposing the views of their group on others via violence and intimidation - sound familiar?

I do not believe the Nazis have gotten any new support by their recent actions. On the other hand, look at the support garnered by the brownshirts of the left of late.

I am not advocating violence.  What I am saying is that if 100 Nazis show up for a rally, 1,000 counter protesters arrive to shout them down and point out the absurdity of their beliefs.  Violence and intimidation is what is used by the Nazis and the KKK among others, to call out others for using the same tactics without calling out them is hypocritical.

You make it sound like an intellectual confrontation - as well you know, it hasn't been. Was Berkeley a case of opposing views discussing their differences?

And, before you say it, counter protesters shouting down Nazi and KKK speakers is not depriving them of their free speech rights since the counter protesters have just as much right to let their views be known.

Berkeley, Portland, UF, Middlebury, etc. These are examples of free speech rights being denied via violence and intimidation.

When a University or a City cancels something out of fear it cannot provide necessary protection - what does that say about the group demanding something be cancelled?

0 Kudos

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

A little definition of terms is required here. The Nazis of the '30s were no weekend reenactors looking for attention. They were an organized band imposing the views of their group on others via violence and intimidation - sound familiar?

I do not believe the Nazis have gotten any new support by their recent actions. On the other hand, look at the support garnered by the brownshirts of the left of late.

These are not some cute boys club weekend reenactors, they are vile racist pieces of human garbage who have no place in a civilized society.  They still wish to impose their will by terror, the citizens and courts have simply prevented them from doing so.  If they haven't gotten additional support, they would not be holding rallies and spreading their message.

You make it sound like an intellectual confrontation - as well you know, it hasn't been. Was Berkeley a case of opposing views discussing their differences?

Violence did break out.  However, I still have the right (really the duty) to show up at their demonstrations and point out how stupid and ignorant they are.  If they don't like the words I use and choose to attack, then who started the violence?  You do not defer to this kind of hatred, by deferring to it, you are actually encouraging it.

Berkeley, Portland, UF, Middlebury, etc. These are examples of free speech rights being denied via violence and intimidation. 

So the counter protesters had NO rights to free speech?  That is what you are saying.  I am allowed to call somebody an ignorant rascist pig if I so choose.

When a University or a City cancels something out of fear it cannot provide necessary protection - what does that say about the group demanding something be cancelled?

It says that the number of people the city is expecting in a crowd are beyond its ability to control.  It does not say either group is right or wrong.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

These are not some cute boys club weekend reenactors, they are vile racist pieces of human garbage who have no place in a civilized society.  They still wish to impose their will by terror, the citizens and courts have simply prevented them from doing so.  If they haven't gotten additional support, they would not be holding rallies and spreading their message.

Violence did break out.  However, I still have the right (really the duty) to show up at their demonstrations and point out how stupid and ignorant they are.  If they don't like the words I use and choose to attack, then who started the violence?  You do not defer to this kind of hatred, by deferring to it, you are actually encouraging it.

So the counter protesters had NO rights to free speech?  That is what you are saying.  I am allowed to call somebody an ignorant rascist pig if I so choose.

It says that the number of people the city is expecting in a crowd are beyond its ability to control.  It does not say either group is right or wrong.

Or it says that the city authorities have stated that the antifas are so powerful that they can intimidate and control the decisions of the city officials to where they violate Constitutional protections.

Which term fits - brownshirts or Bolsheviks?

0 Kudos

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

Or it says that the city authorities have stated that the antifas are so powerful that they can intimidate and control the decisions of the city officials to where they violate Constitutional protections.

Which term fits - brownshirts or Bolsheviks?

I really find it amazing that you will not condemn the absolute slime balls of the alt right (Nazi's, KKK, etc) and continue to focus your prejudices on only one side.  I actually agree with Trump that there are fine people on both sides, however as soon as you start marching behind a Nazi flag, as was done in Charlottesville, you can no longer be considered a "fine person" and need to be called out for the coward and loser that you are.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

I really find it amazing that you will not condemn the absolute slime balls of the alt right (Nazi's, KKK, etc) and continue to focus your prejudices on only one side.  I actually agree with Trump that there are fine people on both sides, however as soon as you start marching behind a Nazi flag, as was done in Charlottesville, you can no longer be considered a "fine person" and need to be called out for the coward and loser that you are.

Your amazement may be based on your refusal to read with an open mind. However, being the good guy that I am, I'll try one more time.
I hereby condemn the slimeballs. Now, will you condemn the brownshirts of the antifa?  

0 Kudos

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

Your amazement may be based on your refusal to read with an open mind. However, being the good guy that I am, I'll try one more time.
I hereby condemn the slimeballs. Now, will you condemn the brownshirts of the antifa?  

Read with an "open-mind"?  You were the one who earlier in the post was dismissing the Charlottesville marchers are simply "weekend reenactors".  That kind of narrow minded prejudice is what empowers these groups in the first place.

As far as your narrow minded perspective of the antifa, I am a great believer in personal responsibility.  As  I have said before, I do not condone violence, or the INDIVIDUALS who are responsible for it.  Sometimes entire groups would be considered evil (Nazis and KKK) and as an individual you would be evil be joining it.   Some of the antifa is violent, most of it is not.  You are failing to put into perspective why the antifa formed and what they are against.  To put into a perspective that hopefully you can understand; if you were a Muslim terrorist, you would consider and condemn the United States for being the "antifa" because we are actively trying to stop your activities.

Since you continuously try to defend the actions of some groups while condemning the same actions of others, or saying the shouldn't even be allowed to assemble, tells me that you are not really this "good guy" that you claim to be.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

Read with an "open-mind"?  You were the one who earlier in the post was dismissing the Charlottesville marchers are simply "weekend reenactors".  That kind of narrow minded pejudice is what empowers these groups in the first place.

And I continue to do so. These guys are just looking for attention. They want a march and a rally and speeches for attention. They play dress up and say, "Look at me". And what happens? - they get their attention. But remember, they are talking, not acting.

As far as your narrow minded perspective of the antifa, I am a great believer in personal responsibility.  As  I have said before, I do not condone violence, or the INDIVIDUALS who are responsible for it.  Sometimes entire groups would be considered evil (Nazis and KKK) and as an individual you would be evil be joining it.   Some of the antifa is violent, most of it is not.  You are failing to put into perspective why the antifa formed and what they are against.  To put into a perspective that hopefully you can understand; if you were a Muslim terrorist, you would consider and condemn the United States for being the "antifa" because we are actively trying to stop your activities.

Antifa has been organizing protests with their Gay Fawkes masks for  long time, generally at international financial gatherings. But, for some reason, they have now joined the "Resistance".

Since you continuously try to defend the actions of some groups while condemning the same actions of others, or saying the shouldn't even be allowed to assemble, tells me that you are not really this "good guy" that you claim to be.

One more time - I continuously defend the Constitution regardless of who is using it's freedoms. There is the freedom of speech - there is not the freedom to stop speech you do not like.

If you do not think that defending the Constitution is the "good guy" side of the equation, maybe you should get with scout and describe your "brave new world".

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

sp362:  It would also help to keep all of them out of public office.

Exactly. And their apologists.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@schlomo wrote:

ONLY way to keep them out of elected office is for all the people who find their actions deplorible show up and VOTE for the Democrat running against them. Republicans have perfected the Gerrymander and voter suppression, but they still only get 26% of registered voters to win. Turn out 27% for sane candidates and the GOPers go home instead of to The House (and Senate).

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@schlomo wrote:

ONLY way to keep them out of elected office is for all the people who find their actions deplorible show up and VOTE for the Democrat running against them. Republicans have perfected the Gerrymander and voter suppression, but they still only get 26% of registered voters to win. Turn out 27% for sane candidates and the GOPers go home instead of to The House (and Senate).

Always the negative!!! How about taking a positive approach and put up a good candidate. Wouldn't it be nice to have our voters vote "for" rather than "against"?

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@schlomo wrote:

Always the negative!!! How about taking a positive approach and put up a good candidate. Wouldn't it be nice to have our voters vote "for" rather than "against"?

I thought Richard Spencer's speech to the American Nazi party was nice where they did the Heil salute yelling "Hail Trump".  That was pretty positive. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

I thought Richard Spencer's speech to the American Nazi party was nice where they did the Heil salute yelling "Hail Trump".  That was pretty positive. 

Wasn't that preaching to the choir and not out in the streets?  Should we ban them for unlawful assembly?  Some during the Bush administration criticized him here alleging that he said the Constitution was just a piece of paper; and now there are liberals criticizing the freedoms the Constitution gives us.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

That's it???? That's all you have to say about the great wisdom of - Always the negative!!! How about taking a positive approach and put up a good candidate. Wouldn't it be nice to have our voters vote "for" rather than "against"?

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice to have our voters vote "for" rather than "against"?

Yes it would !!!  If voters had voted 'for' instead of 'against', we would never have ended up with a Russian and Putin supporting, White Supremacist KKK supporting president such as Trump !!!!

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

That's it???? That's all you have to say about the great wisdom of - Always the negative!!!

"Always contriving a means" to defend Trump's support of his core base .... Nazis, the KKK, White Supremacists and the Alt-right.  "Negative" is certainly the correct description!!! 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@myexper wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

That's it???? That's all you have to say about the great wisdom of - Always the negative!!!

"Always contriving a means" to defend Trump's support of his core base .... Nazis, the KKK, White Supremacists and the Alt-right.  "Negative" is certainly the correct description!!! 

Do you have any thoughts on the topic rather than just your fellow posters??

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

That's a question far better directed to yourself.

Please note your disparaging remarks to a "fellow poster" that I addressed.

Honored Social Butterfly

@myexper wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I'll take that as a "no". Now, you get the last word.

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I'll take that as a "no".

Then you are obviously wrong.

Now, you get the last word.

Expressing the truth.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png