Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: BACK FIRE - But at least a majority are happy - who cares about the ones losing out.

Message 1 of 13

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

Gee, took a whole 30 seconds to find it on my own. Dry your eyes, Gail.

https://www.wsaw.com/fox/content/news/After-backlash-Amazon-to-boost-pay-for-longtime-workers-496682...

And the poster may have already known this.

I'm not sure - is that "Yeah, me too" or "piling on".

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: BACK FIRE - But at least a majority are happy - who cares about the ones losing out.

Message 2 of 13

You know folk, this is a discussion forum and I posted a topic with link -

What's with all the snide remarks - I have been civil in my responses - all of them.

afisher said there was more info - I looked and could not find any articles that said anything more than the article link which I initially posted.

I asked for clarification - nicely.

Then I get more snide remarks.

All I was trying to do was start a conversation about how these long(er) time workers are losing ground.  They see it - don't you?

I am happy for the raise in pay for new workers at Amazon.  If I were an Amazon long(er) employed worker being affected by this, I would be upset, wouldn't you?

Perhaps I am not seeing something here -

• in this supposedly equitable raise to these long(er) length employees by Amazon (this thread)
  • or whether you just don't want to discuss anything but Trump hate
  • or you just don't want to discuss anything with me

This was a generic type of discussion thread which I thought we could all discuss with pluses and minuse, or what Amazon should do here but evidently the thread didn't fit the mold of those who have the floor.

We all come here to DISCUSS topics - not to denigrate one another.

I will self-report this thread to the moderators.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

@BigLib wrote:

https://www.wsaw.com/fox/content/news/After-backlash-Amazon-to-boost-pay-for-longtime-workers-496682...

Thank you,  BigLib - I saw that Fox local article yesterday but it says nothing different than the link which I posted in my initial post from the SeattleTimes. 

These long(er) standing employees are still losing ground because of the value of what they are losing vs what the company is giving them as a replacement.

From the Seattle Times article:
 Amazon’s announcement that it would raise its hourly minimum wage to $15 has been seen as a win for workers. But some longtime employees say they are losing out.

Those who already made $15 will get an extra dollar an hour (then they raised it to a $ 1.25) when the change is made next month, but they will also lose two benefits they relied on:

• MONTHLY bonuses that could top hundreds of dollars and
  • a chance to own Amazon’s sky-rocketing stock, currently worth nearly $2,000 a share.

They must have a different kind of calculator than us,” said an employee at a Pennsylvania warehouse, who estimated she’ll lose out on about $3,000 a year.

From January to September, she made about $150 a month in bonuses, which were tied to her attendance and productivity goals for the entire warehouse. But she earned an extra $400 a month in October, November and December, during the busy holiday shopping season when Amazon doubles the bonuses to motivate workers to show up on time and churn out packages quicker.

“They took away all the incentives to work super hard,” she said, estimating that the $1 raise will give her about $160 extra a month. 

Amazon said its stock program, which typically gave workers one or two Amazon shares when they first started and then one a year, will be replaced with a method for workers to buy stock next year, but the company didn’t provide details. Workers said managers at the warehouse also didn’t know how it would work. *

“Who that’s making $16.25 an hour is going to have $2,000 to buy a stock?” said the person who works at the North East, Maryland, facility.

Thomas Kochan, a professor at MIT’s Sloan Institute for Work and Employment Research, said taking away benefits from longtime workers can lead to higher turnover. He said Amazon needs to communicate to workers better if overall compensation is higher “or you’re going to have morale problems.”

. . . . . One person, who has worked at a warehouse in Phoenix for several years, said the lost benefits means working at Amazon is now “like any other warehouse” job.

“I’m updating my resume,” he said.

Then from the FOX link that you gave - This is just more details from the above - They are still losing ground for (2) reasons:
    1.  The bonus offer has been discontinued
    2.  The stock price is currently greater than these cash payouts - no mention of a stock buying program either.

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/amzn/historical

The worker said they were also told they would get cash payouts for reaching certain milestones. They'll receive $1,500 for staying with the company for five years and $3,000 after reaching their 10-, 15- and 20-year anniversaries. Previously, the company gave workers one or two shares of Amazon stock after each of those anniversaries. * 

*  the Seattle Times article said that they typically gave workers one or two Amazon shares when they first started and then one a year. That is A LOT at the current stock prices.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

Oh, sure, wouldn't doubt it. It just goes to the phony GOP concern and phony GOP outrage over what workers' hourly wages are, when they repeatedly refuse to lift a flipping finger to increase the federal minimum wage one penny.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

>redacted<

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

@BigLib wrote:

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

@afisher wrote:

I don't do other peoples homework.   af   perhaps you should have done that before posting the Oct 4th article.  

I have looked again and still cannot find anything that wasn't in the Seattle Times article which I linked in my initial post.

Could you please let us all in on what further developments there have been that differ from the article I posted.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

I don't do other peoples homework.   af   perhaps you should have done that before posting the Oct 4th article.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

@afisher

The article discussed the changes - were there more?

Got a link?

Kudos
Views