Austrian Takes On FaceBook

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Austrian Takes On FaceBook

Message 1 of 3

Facebook has grown out of the desire of many to have their lives validated by others.

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: Austrian Takes On FaceBook

Message 2 of 3

This sums up my view of FaceBook:

fb retrospect.jpg

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Austrian Takes On FaceBook

Message 3 of 3

This Austrian Activist Took on Facebook in Europe. He’s Ready to Do It Again

Seven years ago, Max Schrems took on Facebook Inc., ultimately winning a court order that led to stricter rules on international data transfers for the social network and other American tech giants.
The European Union measure, called the General Data Protection Regulation, permits mass lawsuits similar to class actions in the U.S., he says, allowing him to increase pressure on companies to protect consumer data.

Schrems founded a group called NOYB - "None Of Your Business"—that he aims to use as a vehicle for lawsuits he’ll start filing as soon as the rules kick in on May 25. He set up a crowdfunding campaign for NOYB that has raised more than $370,000 from 2,500 contributors.

Schrems’s interest in data protection took off in 2011 during a stint as an exchange student at Santa Clara University, just south of Silicon Valley. When executives from companies such as Facebook spoke to his class on privacy law, he was left with the sense that the U.S. tech industry didn’t take Europe’s concerns seriously. “The impression was, ‘These Europeans’ privacy principles are cute, but we look at it differently,’ ” he says. “They denigrated European privacy laws without realizing there was a European in the room.”

In a paper for the class, Schrems examined how Facebook treats customer data and says he discovered that the company didn’t fully purge information users had deleted.
Schrems created a website called europe-v-facebook.org—but insists he bears no grudge against the social network. “I thought I’d write up a few complaints. I never thought it would create such a media storm" he said.
One complaint urged Ireland to bar the transfer of EU citizens’ data to the U.S. because it wasn’t sufficiently secure. That case ultimately made it to the EU Court of Justice in Luxembourg, which agreed with Schrems’s claims—forcing the EU and U.S. to rewrite regulations on data transfers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-22/max-schrems-took-on-facebook-in-europe-he-s-ready...

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors