Honored Social Butterfly

Atlanta Deputy Fired After Excessive Force Video

Deputy fired after video shows him repeatedly strike man

A sheriff's deputy in the Atlanta area was fired for excessive use of force after a social media video showed the deputy repeatedly striking a man, according to the Clayton County Sheriff's Office. CNN's Dianne Gallagher reports.

Deputy fired after video shows him repeatedly strike man 

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

Imagine what must have occurred before these  "arrests"  were  being  filmed. as they are now on a regular basis. 

Every dept every organization has   rotten people  that  need to be removed,  Often it takes longer cause the public doesn't care enough to get involved.   .      

Honored Social Butterfly

@JANMB wrote:

Often it takes longer cause the public doesn't care enough to get involved.

Recording bad apples:      

When you can film police
Most of the time

If police are carrying out their jobs in a public space and you are recording as a third party, film away. A federal appeals court decision from last year solidified your right to do so.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/nation-world/heres-a-guide-on-when-and-when-not-to-record-police/...

Honored Social Butterfly

@oceanedge2 

Why not just jump right in and try to stop it instead of taking the video?

OH, that's right it says you cannot interfere.

FindLaw blog - In Which States do I Have a Duty to Help? 

Wisconsin and Minnesota laws seem to fit here, don't ya think?

• Wisconsin -- In Wisconsin, if you know that a crime is being committed, and that a victim has suffered or may suffer bodily harm, you have a duty to call police or provide assistance
  • Minnesota -- If you are at the scene of an emergency and you know that someone has suffered grave physical harm, or could be hurt, you have a duty to give "reasonable assistance." Reasonable assistance can mean calling or attempting to call police or medical personnel.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JANMB wrote:

Imagine what must have occurred before these  "arrests"  were  being  filmed. as they are now on a regular basis. 

Every dept every organization has   rotten people  that  need to be removed,  Often it takes longer cause the public doesn't care enough to get involved.   .      

You're right Jan!  But isn't it the organization's responsibility to rid itself of ITS Bad Apples, isn't it?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@JANMB wrote:

You're right Jan!  But isn't it the organization's responsibility to rid itself of ITS Bad Apples, isn't it?

Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill has some experience with bad apples  - he is a real character in his style but he does keep getting voted in -  He is awaiting investigative results from the Clayton County DA. on this matter -

WSB TV - 06/10/2020 - FBI investigating Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill again, sources say 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@JANMB wrote:

Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill has some experience with bad apples  - he is a real character in his style but he does keep getting voted in -  He is awaiting investigative results from the Clayton County DA. on this matter -

WSB TV - 06/10/2020 - FBI investigating Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill again, sources say 

Thank you for proving my point on elected Sheriffs. They should not be voted in. They should be selected for their ability in leading and interpreting law enforcement. 

Read the support article on the Sheriff. The FBI was after him for violating the law, and it looks like every law enforcement, and press new this was a problem Sheriff who should have never held the job. Sadly this is common all over the USA and why there should be no elected Sheriffs.

Honored Social Butterfly

The people of Clayton County, GA. would probably disagree with you on appointment rather than voting in - in fact, I don't know any sheriffs in Georgia that are appointed.  The one here where I live had (5) opponents in his last election but won by a far margin.  Credentials for each one were known.  Victor Hill is definitely one of the more colorful ( and not just because he is black)  and outspoken Sheriffs - he is controversial.  But they elect him - His nickname, I guess you would call it is, "The Crime Fighter"

To become a sheriff in Georgia, there are really only two requirements: Don’t have a criminal record, and win the most votes. 

Newly elected sheriffs must attend four weeks of training before they’re sworn in, but beyond that, a sheriff can take office without ever having investigated a murder, tackled a suspect or written a speeding ticket. Still, the sheriff is—constitutionally speaking, anyway—the top law enforcement officer in every one of Georgia’s 159 counties. Purists say leaving such a decision in the hands of voters is what democracy is all about. Cynics say that’s crazy. Which is probably why, in about a dozen Georgia counties, most of them in metro Atlanta, sheriffs have been relegated to caretakers—sheriff’s deputies house the prisoners, secure the courts and serve warrants. The business of fighting crime, in the traditional sense, is left largely to county and municipal police forces.

To let you and others know a bit more about him  and the area when he took office way back when - Atlanta Mag 08/01/2006 - “Sheriff on Deck!” - How Far Can Victor Hill Go? 

Get a load of this - I remember this:

On his first Monday in office, he summoned 27 employees to the jail on the pretense of reinstating them. Instead, he fired them. He assigned sharpshooters to watch over the proceedings as the sacked workers—most of whom had supported the outgoing sheriff that Hill had unseated—handed over their guns and badges.

. . . . . One thing, however, is crystal-clear: Victor Hill wants to change what it means to be a sheriff in the state of Georgia.

Not long after taking office, Hill implemented a “boot camp” philosophy at the Clayton County jail. Among other things, it requires that an inmate drop what he’s doing when he sees the sheriff, hurry to the nearest wall, face-first, and clasp his hands behind his back. Failure to follow the directions leads to punishments, such as loss of TV and phone privileges.

“Sheriff on DECK!”

“What you’re getting ready to walk through is the cleanest jail in Georgia. There is no jail cleaner than my jail.” In the two days that I spend with Hill, he’ll often refer to the jail as “my” jail, his use of the possessive almost a subconscious reminder to those around him—and perhaps to himself—that the jail is Hill’s responsibility and woe to him who thinks otherwise.

more at the link about Sheriff Victor Hill

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks for posting another article that proves my point. Most Sheriffs around the USA are totally unfit for the job they hold. Now by the numbers:

1. My guess is there are no sheriffs who are appointed, except on a temp basis anywhere in the US.

2. If the people of Clayton County disagree with me they tell all they want poor law enforcement, and will accept a lawbreaker as their law enforcement. The people tell us they are happy with the laws being enforced on non whites in a different way, and if you pay off law enforcement you can avoid breaking most laws. Hill is not colorful he is a crook, and he also proves if  you throw in with the master you can make money. Every honest person should shutter at what is going on in his Office. Now he has a better name: Criminal.

3. The Ga. requirements show how bad the State is in law enforcement, and why it can keep people from voting by refusing to sign them up, and ending up with a fake Gov.

What should be happening in GA is that Hill should be in the lock up not overseeing it. Hill and Trump go well together.

Once again thanks for proving my statements about sheriffs.

Honored Social Butterfly

This is tRump's AmerIka - "SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png