Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Ask Your Favorite Billionaire these Questions

Message 11 of 33
I have no problem with that, but no one should be chastised for their success. It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have.

If you take your opportunity and buried it into the ground and complain about others who took advantage of opportunity and made it grow ... that makes no sense and is unAmerican.

"The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile "
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 33

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

How is Schultz related to the nastiness of customers?
However, I do believe my comments of how to make more than the minimum is valid and a lesson that should be pushed rather than trying to make the minimum a salary to raise a family on.

You like to go on about the 238,000 jobs Schultz created, yet the company he steered doesn't pay those employees, who are often subjected to abuse from the customers, any where close to what Bezos pays his employees (not to mention Bezos created more than double the jobs Schultz did), yet the right wing frequently bashes Bezos. It's interesting to see how the right wing lionizes one, and vilifies the other.

So how much should a company pay someone who is often subjected to abuse? Of course, we know Starbucks can dish it right back. Having black people arrested for doing the same thing white people do, or disparaging a latino name with a racial slur, and even after their so called racial diversity training, disparaging a Filipino-American air force vet with a racial slur.

@Olderscout66and @mickstuder made excellent points, and no diversions about minimum wage or welfare has disputed it.

No "on and on" just a simple statement of fact. I'm not lionizing anyone, I am not bashing Bezos. So I really don't get why you are responding to me with that stuff.

You complained about employees being insulted and now you are concerned about them insulting. it seems you just have a need to spout negativism.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 33

@mickstuder wrote:

Hey - How about - just once - the United States had a President who grew up poor on a Farm - served his Country in the Military in a War Zone - went back to Civilian Life after 3 years of Service & a Honorable Discharge - went right to work after the Service working at least 2 jobs much of the time started a few small businesses with various degrees of success - raised 5 children & is still relatively poor living in a low to middle class neighborhood surrounded by mostly other Americans who had a similar lifes experience

You know - how about for once we have a American President who really identifies with someone like me & the approximately 200 million other Americans who lived a similar life in this Country & never got anywhere near being a Millionaire or a Billionaire or hasn't had a day go by where MONEY wasn't a worry right at the top of the list all the other daily Worries

Why have we come to a point in time where like everything else in America - Wealth determines everything - even who can become President or will even be considered

I like your idea but I don't think I will see this in my lifetime.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 33

Hey - How about - just once - the United States had a President who grew up poor on a Farm - served his Country in the Military in a War Zone - went back to Civilian Life after 3 years of Service & a Honorable Discharge - went right to work after the Service working at least 2 jobs much of the time started a few small businesses with various degrees of success - raised 5 children & is still relatively poor living in a low to middle class neighborhood surrounded by mostly other Americans who had a similar lifes experience

You know - how about for once we have a American President who really identifies with someone like me & the approximately 200 million other Americans who lived a similar life in this Country & never got anywhere near being a Millionaire or a Billionaire or hasn't had a day go by where MONEY wasn't a worry right at the top of the list all the other daily Worries

Why have we come to a point in time where like everything else in America - Wealth determines everything - even who can become President or will even be considered

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 33

@rk9152 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"....Good article, Mick. What's funnier than Schultz saying he didn't know how much a box of Cheerios costs, and then finding out it's around 4 bucks, is him saying that was "a lot" for a box of cereal, while he built his fortune charging people 4 bucks for stinking cup of cofffee.....".

"....What does the republican party's blind hatred of people needing help with basic necessities have to do with anything on that list?....".

I'm not repub, but what is the hatred for someone who grew up in a housing project and turned a company from nothing to 28,000 stores? Yeah, he charges $4 for a cup of coffee, and millions of people are apparently just fine with this, all over the world. He is an absolute standard bearer for what American capitalism allows someone to accomplish (regardless of the politics). You can dislike him for what you think he'll do against the Dems and for the Repubs, but don't hate him because he built a company that provides benes to unskilled labor.     

"Benes to unskilled labor"? What might that be? Schultz paid the average "baresta" $9/hour and had them working 3 days a week which comes out to a gross income of $11,232 plus an average of $1300 in tips for $12,532, a shade over HALF the Poverty level ($22,459) for a single worker. His managers make $11/hr full-time or $22,880, just barely above the poverty line.

Schultz CLAIMS an income of $1/year, but that's just a tax dodge so he can put all the profits into the value of his company stock and nice dividends taxed at a much lower rate.

He,  like so many heros of the GOP,  made his fortune by underpaying his workers which allowed him to increase his personal fortune by an average of $97MILLION each year for 32 years. So he paid himself 4,240 TIMES what he paid the folks running his coffee shops - who couldn't get rich doing that?

Who thinks that's a formula for success for the American Worker?

238,000 people have jobs due to his actions. Is that a bad thing?

Bezos created more than double the number of jobs, pays them more, and is pilloried by the right wing at every whip stitch. Is that a bad thing?

You nailed it. In the free market economy a person's pay is based on the value of his contribution to the value of the goods or services sold. That is the message that has to get out to kids - you do not get paid based on what you need, you are paid based on your abilities, polish them.

I didn't "nail" anything. The rate of pay was qualified as that of an unskilled worker. The only thing you need to get hired at Amazon is legal status, 18 or older and a high school diploma or GED. That's unskilled labor too, yet Amazon still pays more. Starbucks sticks kids as young as 14 behind the counters to be abused for making a mistake on someone's half-caf no foam latte. Does paying $4 for a cup of coffee give someone the right to berate a kid (or anyone for that matter)? How much does someone that stands and takes abuse from bleephole customers deserve to be paid?

However, I do believe my comments of how to make more than the minimum is valid and a lesson that should be pushed rather than trying to make the minimum a salary to raise a family on.

You like to go on about the 238,000 jobs Schultz created, yet the company he steered doesn't pay those employees, who are often subjected to abuse from the customers, any where close to what Bezos pays his employees (not to mention Bezos created more than double the jobs Schultz did), yet the right wing frequently bashes Bezos. It's interesting to see how the right wing lionizes one, and vilifies the other.

So how much should a company pay someone who is often subjected to abuse? Of course, we know Starbucks can dish it right back. Having black people arrested for doing the same thing white people do, or disparaging a latino name with a racial slur, and even after their so called racial diversity training, disparaging a Filipino-American air force vet with a racial slur.

@Olderscout66and @mickstuder made excellent points, and no diversions about minimum wage or welfare has disputed it.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 33

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"....Good article, Mick. What's funnier than Schultz saying he didn't know how much a box of Cheerios costs, and then finding out it's around 4 bucks, is him saying that was "a lot" for a box of cereal, while he built his fortune charging people 4 bucks for stinking cup of cofffee.....".

"....What does the republican party's blind hatred of people needing help with basic necessities have to do with anything on that list?....".

I'm not repub, but what is the hatred for someone who grew up in a housing project and turned a company from nothing to 28,000 stores? Yeah, he charges $4 for a cup of coffee, and millions of people are apparently just fine with this, all over the world. He is an absolute standard bearer for what American capitalism allows someone to accomplish (regardless of the politics). You can dislike him for what you think he'll do against the Dems and for the Repubs, but don't hate him because he built a company that provides benes to unskilled labor.     

"Benes to unskilled labor"? What might that be? Schultz paid the average "baresta" $9/hour and had them working 3 days a week which comes out to a gross income of $11,232 plus an average of $1300 in tips for $12,532, a shade over HALF the Poverty level ($22,459) for a single worker. His managers make $11/hr full-time or $22,880, just barely above the poverty line.

Schultz CLAIMS an income of $1/year, but that's just a tax dodge so he can put all the profits into the value of his company stock and nice dividends taxed at a much lower rate.

He,  like so many heros of the GOP,  made his fortune by underpaying his workers which allowed him to increase his personal fortune by an average of $97MILLION each year for 32 years. So he paid himself 4,240 TIMES what he paid the folks running his coffee shops - who couldn't get rich doing that?

Bezos created more than double the number of jobs, pays them more, and is pilloried by the right wing at every whip stitch. Is that a bad thing?

You nailed it. In the free market economy a person's pay is based on the value of his contribution to the value of the goods or services sold. That is the message that has to get out to kids - you do not get paid based on what you need, you are paid based on your abilities, polish them.

I didn't "nail" anything. The rate of pay was qualified as that of an unskilled worker. The only thing you need to get hired at Amazon is legal status, 18 or older and a high school diploma or GED. That's unskilled labor too, yet Amazon still pays more. Starbucks sticks kids as young as 14 behind the counters to be abused for making a mistake on someone's half-caf no foam latte. Does paying $4 for a cup of coffee give someone the right to berate a kid (or anyone for that matter)? How much does someone that stands and takes abuse from bleephole customers deserve to be paid?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 33

@rk9152 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 33

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 33

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 33

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Kudos
Views