Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Armed Utah teachers practice responding to school shootings

Message 1 of 12

No but I really like the "optics" of school administrators and teachers having to wear vests and helmets.

Not a bad idea.

If you arm teachers in a school,  and someone really wants to go in there and kill people, the first people they'll want to take out are the teachers. 

So to protect the children, arm the teachers and require them to wear vests and helmets.

I think the vest should have a chest holster on them to hold the gun in plain sight, to act as a deterrent.  

If the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, then require the good guys to wear helmets and body armor.

Course then the bad guys will wear helmets and body armor too, they probably already are,  I didn't think of that.

We have a body armor and helmet gap, teachers need better armor, better helmets, and better guns then the bad guys in order to protect the children.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

@gruffstuff wrote:

Armed Utah teachers practice responding to school shootings

I think they should just issue Kevlar helmets and bullet proof vests to the students, doubt they'll do that though, Republicans won't even pay for physical education, art, and music.

No but I really like the "optics" of school administrators and teachers having to wear vests and helmets. Obviously, the Regressives think carrying a gun is cool but I bet pictures of school yards as war zones would have a different perception. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

Armed Utah teachers practice responding to school shootings

I think they should just issue Kevlar helmets and bullet proof vests to the students, doubt they'll do that though, Republicans won't even pay for physical education, art, and music.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

@EdM965653 wrote:

Good afternoon to all- Our country is the only country where the most basic of our law forms the right to carry "arms" is guaranteed. Of course, this guarantee came from a time when there was no standing military to protect citizens and we were in a state of war and invading forces were in our country. At that time, it was up to individuals to take care their own defense.

It's not that way now. And influence peddlars like the NRA have made it certain that nearly ANYONE- no matter how limited that person might be, or how metally unstable that person might be, or no matter how angry and uncontrolled that person might be- has the right to have and keep a gun- or in many cases, LOTS of guns.

There is no need for any civilian to have a rapid fire weapon- call them automatics, semi-automatics, assault weapons, whatever.  And there are really not many reasons for many civilians to have handguns.

Yes, I know the gun people hate any consideration of limited gun ownership, but I can tell you from experience, it's a very bad feeling when you show up for class on Monday and there's an empty seat that will not be filled again because the kid who sat there was killed by a gun.

And teachers having guns in school?  Bad idea. Very, very bad idea.

good evening to all- Ed

The NRA  is in the business of promoting guns and its manufactures so they need to convince citizens that guns are necessary for their survival. There are more  fire arms in this country than practically in this whole continent and many other countries in Europe but I guess many feel that they are necessary as their washing machines.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

Good afternoon to all- Our country is the only country where the most basic of our law forms the right to carry "arms" is guaranteed. Of course, this guarantee came from a time when there was no standing military to protect citizens and we were in a state of war and invading forces were in our country. At that time, it was up to individuals to take care their own defense.

It's not that way now. And influence peddlars like the NRA have made it certain that nearly ANYONE- no matter how limited that person might be, or how metally unstable that person might be, or no matter how angry and uncontrolled that person might be- has the right to have and keep a gun- or in many cases, LOTS of guns.

There is no need for any civilian to have a rapid fire weapon- call them automatics, semi-automatics, assault weapons, whatever.  And there are really not many reasons for many civilians to have handguns.

Yes, I know the gun people hate any consideration of limited gun ownership, but I can tell you from experience, it's a very bad feeling when you show up for class on Monday and there's an empty seat that will not be filled again because the kid who sat there was killed by a gun.

And teachers having guns in school?  Bad idea. Very, very bad idea.

good evening to all- Ed

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

Ever wonder why America is the only country that is even having this discussion?  Maybe we should adopt the policies of countries where their students are safe?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

What a sad time for the   history of this country. I wonder how we area all going to see any  of this in the future or out history.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

Look at Virginia Beach. That was an employee. Why arm someone who may be the enemy? 

Leave this to the police.. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

Good morning to all-

Arming teachers in classrooms is the worst idea- and I have heard some very bad ideas- that I have heard coming from people who have no concept of what goes on in schools and classrooms.

The possible bad outcomes from teachers packing heat in a room full of kids- no mattter what age- is mind-boggling. Everything from accidentally discharged guns to angry kids grabbing a firearm to a teacher  going crazy- nothing good could possibly come from this.

I was a public school teacher for nearly 40 years, and I have never been nor heard of any situation where teachers being armed would have been a good thing.

Armed police officers in school? Unfortunate but required in a lot of school in a lot of places- but not teachers.

If I were still teaching and I was told that I must be trained to carry arms in class and then must carry a gun, i would decline the training and I would decline to carry.  If that meant termination, then I'd find another teaching job somewhere that didn't have such bad, and potentially extremely bad, requirements.

Teachers carrying guns?  No- and no thousand times.

good day to all- Ed

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

I got active shooter training a few months ago, and somebody asked the police officer what he’d do if he were in that situation. He said he’d run out too. (We were taught to run, hide, fight, in that order). Because in that situation, when the cops came in, in a high stress situation, and saw him with a gun, he likely would be the first victim of police attempts to neutralize the situation.  Instead, he’d get out and regroup with police as they are trained to do in those situations.

There is no good that can come from putting more guns in a school with kids.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors