Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prescription drug prices now! Here’s how.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Are you ready to vote?

Message 21 of 66

I agree 100% with you.  If seniors want their SS and Medicare left alone, voting Republican is NOT the way to do it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 66

I chose to do a mail-in ballot this year. I wanted to make sure I voted early . 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 66

Hasn’t the trump / repub motive been in the last two years to return healthcare coverage to the free market, pre ACA 

(which was a reason for bringing on ACA

in the first place). Returning your healthcare to being determined by the insurance companies, who can deny pre-existing conditions, or charge astronomical premiums. Or to be able to charge what ever they want, and deny coverage. How much would seniors pay? Or to provide minimal coverage policies that provide next to nothing, but provide profits because they won’t pay out for anything. 

What would these policies actually cover? At what cost for premiums?

All the while repubs wanting cut into entitlement programs...they haven’t tried to keep it a secret. 

And to topic, I’m ready to vote! Enact your right as a citizen. Please vote out trump repubs!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 66

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

You left out the end of what he said. We will give it a try. Now why would you leave that out unless you are agreeing with him to do it, and to support the far right Reb. whos one goal is to kill both. How did you miss that.

It is now legal to have a pre ex in policies being sold on the exchange. They are being used in the junk policies being sold so the price stays low. If you know anything about Medical Insurance and why the pre ex was invented you know in time something like this will result in major price increases in all policies due mainly to adverse selection.

I did not read anything about the Speaker saying - We will give it a try - where did you get that?

Here is the Bloomberg interview:

Bloomberg 10/16/2018 - Exclusive McConnell Blames Entitlements, Not GOP, for Rising Deficits

The Short Term Policies are NOT being sold on the Exchange - they are only being sold OFF the exchange.  Yes, these may lure the young or healthier to this type of policy and away from or out of the exchange but people are trying to get the coverage they need - especially the one that do not get a tax credit subsidy and/or who don't feel they need to have all the coverage in an exchange plan.  People have choices for their lives regardless of what might be good for an insurance marketplace.  They are trying to protect their families and their financal lives as best they can with what they can afford to pay for the things which they think they need coverage for -

They are buying Medishare type plans, they will be looking at those Association plans too,  they are buying HDHP with a HSA - putting away money for their share of the cost of whatever might come to protect themselves and their families, including their pocketbooks.

Those who get a tax credit subsidy have been protected by these rate increases - not so for the ones that don't. 

More states are seeking to set up those Re-insurance plans to help cover those with extremely high medical expenses so that premium in the exchange can stay as low as possible.

Without the CSR people in the exchange can have a wider pick of plans - they can possibly buy a Bronze, Gold or even Platinum plan and not be constrained to just Silver.  They will still get their tax credit subsidy to be applied to whichever plan meets their needs the best.  All that will depend on the premiums of the specific plans.  Giving people more choices and making decisions for themselves is what this Country of Freedoms is all about.

Yea I heard about the "new citizen" judge ruling - sounds right.  Not sure about the numbers since it only covers those who got their citizenship recently - perhaps they should have been on the "pending list" with the 17 year olds waiting for their 18th birthday to hit before the official election day.

Well you need better sources as he said it, and Trump backed him up. It does not matter where they are being sold. What matters is they are being sold and in time will cause all rates to go up due to selection against the rating pools most people are in. My understanding is they are not on the exchange this year due to the fact all of this happened after the deadline to say what a Carrier would offer. They will be next year. You do not understand Insurance. If only people who need coverage buy it then the price is to high, and there is no reason to offer it. Just go pay the health care provider direct as that would be cheaper. Insurance is where a group are covered for everything. The person is betting they will need it, The Carrier is betting they will not. Some people collect a lot and some collect nothing so really it is helping each other. Rates can be set by all the info collected on medical like age, male, female, what medical problem people will have, etc. When all are covered that info leads to an average rate for all. Young pay less, older pay more, etc. normally, but you now get an average. It is really all of us making sure all of us can  get good medical help at a decent price. The pools you talk about are not Insurance, they are the taxpayers paying for coverage that a sick person gets. If there is no tax money put up the cost is so high no one can afford it. An example is if you place all people with cancer in a pool. You know your loss ratio will be 100% so no Carrier would touch it. What the pools are is cost shifting and that cost the taxpayer more that if you have required coverage for all. Whether you like it or not Medi Care for all approach is the best one, and does work. Your state did not expand Medicaid. I understand over 500,000 people in your state are without coverage due to that. One of your Gov. answer was let them die in the streets, and the Reb. who wants to be the next Governer has told all he will not expand medicaid. I would suggest that you really should be spending time working on those problems, and helping the 500,000 get coverage so the taxpayers do not have to pay their medical bills.

I just heard that a judge is helping the 253,000 so they can vote, and the match law is really being thrown out. I hope that is true for the sake of the good people of GA. The person responsible for this voter suppression does not deserve one vote in my opinion. I hope you are working for the good people of your state, as I have many fond memories of them from my working years.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 66

@john258 wrote:

You left out the end of what he said. We will give it a try. Now why would you leave that out unless you are agreeing with him to do it, and to support the far right Reb. whos one goal is to kill both. How did you miss that.

It is now legal to have a pre ex in policies being sold on the exchange. They are being used in the junk policies being sold so the price stays low. If you know anything about Medical Insurance and why the pre ex was invented you know in time something like this will result in major price increases in all policies due mainly to adverse selection.

I did not read anything about the Speaker saying - We will give it a try - where did you get that?

Here is the Bloomberg interview:

Bloomberg 10/16/2018 - Exclusive McConnell Blames Entitlements, Not GOP, for Rising Deficits

The Short Term Policies are NOT being sold on the Exchange - they are only being sold OFF the exchange.  Yes, these may lure the young or healthier to this type of policy and away from or out of the exchange but people are trying to get the coverage they need - especially the one that do not get a tax credit subsidy and/or who don't feel they need to have all the coverage in an exchange plan.  People have choices for their lives regardless of what might be good for an insurance marketplace.  They are trying to protect their families and their financal lives as best they can with what they can afford to pay for the things which they think they need coverage for -

They are buying Medishare type plans, they will be looking at those Association plans too,  they are buying HDHP with a HSA - putting away money for their share of the cost of whatever might come to protect themselves and their families, including their pocketbooks.

Those who get a tax credit subsidy have been protected by these rate increases - not so for the ones that don't. 

More states are seeking to set up those Re-insurance plans to help cover those with extremely high medical expenses so that premium in the exchange can stay as low as possible.

Without the CSR people in the exchange can have a wider pick of plans - they can possibly buy a Bronze, Gold or even Platinum plan and not be constrained to just Silver.  They will still get their tax credit subsidy to be applied to whichever plan meets their needs the best.  All that will depend on the premiums of the specific plans.  Giving people more choices and making decisions for themselves is what this Country of Freedoms is all about.

Yea I heard about the "new citizen" judge ruling - sounds right.  Not sure about the numbers since it only covers those who got their citizenship recently - perhaps they should have been on the "pending list" with the 17 year olds waiting for their 18th birthday to hit before the official election day.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 66

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

The word from Reb. leader of the Senate. It has been on TV and in the press and the speaker has not denied that. Go check the bill he supports. Trump ended the Prex yesterday by a new regulation. So stand by all you want as that what indv. Reb. have done for years as the party has moved to kill SS and Medicare. I know truth is something the far right Reb. are not used to, but you can not change it.

The Speaker also said that it would be “very difficult to do entitlement reform, and we’re talking about Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid,” with one party in charge of Congress and the White House.

Could you give more info on what Trump did yesterday on the Pre-existing conditions.

I know that the ACA marketplace opened yesterday.

I know that there is going to be a few states that will have insurers with these short term plans, offered OFF the exchange.  Yes, those may attract some younger, healthier folks - but states will have ultimate design of what these plans will cover. 

Association type plans may also come into being in some areas.

There are droves of people in the individual marketplace who have dropped health insurance all together because they could not afford the premiums - I am speaking of those who do NOT get a premium tax credit.  Maybe some of them will at least look at some of these new coverage options or just look at the OFF exchange revised premiums again this year.

Nobody is trying to kill Medicare or Social Security - but each year we wait on doing some kind of reform is getting us closer to when coverage is cut AUTOMATICALLY when the income reaches a specific level - governed by the SS law.  The reforms have to be biparisan - we use to know how to get the job done via compromise.  Not so sure anymore -

You left out the end of what he said. We will give it a try. Now why would you leave that out unless you are agreeing with him to do it, and to support the far right Reb. whos one goal is to kill both. How did you miss that. It is now legal to have a pre ex in policies being sold on the exchange. They are being used in the junk policies being sold so the price stays low. If you know anything about Medical Insurance and why the pre ex was invented you know in time something like this will result in major price increases in all policies due mainly to adverse selection. Yes no one is trying to kill  Medicare or SS just like you said GA was not trying to depress the vote with it regs. Both SS and Medicare can be reformed when needed and improved at the same time with no loss of benefits to anyone. The Reb. have been trying for years to kill them, just as they have the ACA. We now watch the far right Reb. embrace the ACA in this election as they know it has taken hold with most of the people so the lies they have been telling no longer work. By the way I just saw where a Judge threw a little monkey wrench into the far right Reb. overseers in GA by allowing the 3,000 to vote after they were barred by the Gov. candidate. I would think all people in GA who want to save the state are very happy this evening. Lets hope someone saves the 53,000 who are being denied their rights.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 66

@LogicsHere wrote:

Here's the link to a page on SS site justifying what i said that SS was not part of the general fund.  It was under Nixon who took it upon himself to put it into a unified fund but as such is still run separately and comes from the SS Trust Fund and your "FICA" tax, not your income tax.

Social Security has never been part of the "General Fund" - Nixon had nothing to do with this -

what your link says:

Most likely this question comes from a confusion between the financing of the Social Security program and the way the Social Security Trust Fund is treated in federal budget accounting. Starting in 1969 (due to action by the Johnson Administration in 1968) the transactions to the Trust Fund were included in what is known as the "unified budget." This means that every function of the federal government is included in a single budget. This is sometimes described by saying that the Social Security Trust Funds are "on-budget." This budget treatment of the Social Security Trust Fund continued until 1990 when the Trust Funds were again taken "off-budget." This means only that they are shown as a separate account in the federal budget. But whether the Trust Funds are "on-budget" or "off-budget" is primarily a question of accounting practices--it has no effect on the actual operations of the Trust Fund itself.

We still use a Unified Budget

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 66

@KidBoy2 wrote:

I posted.....I still stand by that what LogicsHere is not true....you say it is true. Would you please back that up with a reliable source?

Thank you.

John 258 posted...
The word from Reb. leader of the Senate. It has been on TV and in the press and the speaker has not denied that. Go check the bill he supports. Trump ended the Prex yesterday by a new regulation. So stand by all you want as that what indv. Reb. have done for years as the party has moved to kill SS and Medicare. I know truth is something the far right Reb. are not used to, but you can not change it.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Just as I thought John could not back up what we posted with a reliable source....it shows that the R's do not want to do away with SS and Medicare. Only the uninformed have fell for the scare tactic that the D's use to get votes.

It was on TV this evening again, and this time it was the Senator himself who was saying it. They also had the Speaker of the house saying it on TV. Did you miss the new Trump rule that went into effect. It killed barring a pre Ex from a health policy. Did you see the Mooch on TV this afternoon and what he said about both subjects? Here we see the right wing really go into a tail spin they have not a clue what they are doing.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 66

@LogicsHere wrote:

Here's the link to a page on SS site justifying what i said that SS was not part of the general fund.  It was under Nixon who took it upon himself to put it into a unified fund but as such is still run separately and comes from the SS Trust Fund and your "FICA" tax, not your income tax.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/InternetMyths2.html

Social Security has never been part of the "General Fund" - Nixon had nothing to do with this -

what your link says:

Most likely this question comes from a confusion between the financing of the Social Security program and the way the Social Security Trust Fund is treated in federal budget accounting. Starting in 1969 (due to action by the Johnson Administration in 1968) the transactions to the Trust Fund were included in what is known as the "unified budget." This means that every function of the federal government is included in a single budget. This is sometimes described by saying that the Social Security Trust Funds are "on-budget." This budget treatment of the Social Security Trust Fund continued until 1990 when the Trust Funds were again taken "off-budget." This means only that they are shown as a separate account in the federal budget. But whether the Trust Funds are "on-budget" or "off-budget" is primarily a question of accounting practices--it has no effect on the actual operations of the Trust Fund itself.

We still use a Unified Budget

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 66

I'm still voting Democratic all the way because I refuse to let this country turn into another 1937 Hitler Germany.  The person who sits in the WH now is a disgrace and there isn't one person in this country who should have any doubts that this man is totally unqualified.  It's simple common sense and having paid attention in your history class.

Kudos
Views