Honored Social Butterfly

Are they accepting Americans in Canada at all?

In view of the fact that now nobody wants to really accept that we are really in trouble. I am thinking seriously to spend time in Canada. until this country gets their act together. 
They are now saying in my area that the number of Covid  are inflated by 30% So we don't have a problem, and in this dinky little town according to the news and Newspapers we have over 4000 cases and doubling every day.

no name
Social Butterfly

Upon awaking following that election, I began investigating moving away from the US as a retiree.

I found no countries willing to accept US citizens reliant on US Social Security payments.

I did find countries willing to accept triple-digit payments to become citizens of their countries to move there.

I don't blame any of them at all for not accepting me based on my only income coming from the US government; I would suggest to young workers they invest in other economies. And establish secondary citizenship.

Due to the hatefulness of our United States, no one wants us to move to their nation; I don't blame them for that. The "leader" of our country is a racist, sexist, classist individual who doesn't deserve a human title. Enough said...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I truly still believe in this country, and I am willing to wait to see it return to what it used to be. but, at this time I would love to be able to move on a temporary basis to Canada. fortunately I do not depend on only Social Security, so no problem with that. but not even on a temporary visa Canada at this time will have me. or any other country that I know or would want to to. Thank your for the information.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

CNN 07/14/2020 - US border closures with Canada and Mexico to be extended another month 

New date is expected to be August 21 - course it could change again closer to the new date.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1    I am sure that the closure is mutual just not on our side.

lol2.jpg

no name
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Here ya go Roxanna35.  (or anybody else that would like to leave the USA for Canada)  Hope this helps and best of luck to you all.

https://www.immigration.ca/contact-us

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc.html

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/menu-eng.html

TRUMP-PENCE 2020!!! To Save This Country From The Insanity of The Dems!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal     Have known how restrictive is the immigration laws in Canada for many years, Never had the intention of going there too cold.
But under the present circumstances wouldn't mind spending about one year there. as a tourist or a temporary resident if they would accept such a thing. 
This is the time that being here is like waiting when you are going  to get the virus and perhaps die. No way to live the rest of my life.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

Here ya go Roxanna35.  (or anybody else that would like to leave the USA for Canada)  Hope this helps and best of luck to you all.

https://www.immigration.ca/contact-us

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc.html

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/menu-eng.html

Boy you had that information ready. Well I guess most people in AZ are thinking of Canada as the States around Az are cutting them off from relocating due to the virus. They found people from AZ living in my State. They closed all our State Parks to them, and if you come in to NM and stay more than one night the hotel has to report that to the State. Az people have to stay in their rooms for 14 days before going out. I have to do the same if I go to AZ and return. They do not want the mess Trump and the Gov. created in AZ here.

I am sure you can fly from AZ to Canada, but I bet they make you stay in a hotel room for 14 days alone. It would be easier for you to get rid of the worst Gov. in the USA and replace him with a thinking non Trump supporter.

Regular Social Butterfly

@john258   Of course, always happy to help my fellow citizens.

You sure do have this obsession with Arizona John. Just an FYI: I have no desire to leave my state, city or country!  Unlike some, I am quite happy where I am.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

You sure do have this obsession with Arizona John. Just an FYI: I have no desire to leave my state, city or country!  Unlike some, I am quite happy where I am.

Yes I do. At one time it was a good State and on weekends we had more people from AZ in my city than any group. They were a real asset. Most were from the Navajo Nation. Then Trump arrived and AZ got a new Governor due to the far right Trump supporters and AZ is now destroying my State, CA and the Navajo Nation with the virus. The good people of AZ plead with the State for help and get nothing from the Trump lackey Gov. but a pathway to death, and the Gov. has support from the far right Trump supporters. Now no State wants anything todo with AZ. and enact new regulations to keep them away which hurts the good honest people living in the State.

AZ needs a total change in its State Govt.

Regular Social Butterfly

sunluvngal wrote:

john258 wrote:  Yes I do. At one time it was a good State and on weekends we had more people from AZ in my city than any group. They were a real asset. Most were from the Navajo Nation. Then Trump arrived and AZ got a new Governor due to the far right Trump supporters and AZ is now destroying my State, CA and the Navajo Nation with the virus. The good people of AZ plead with the State for help and get nothing from the Trump lackey Gov. but a pathway to death, and the Gov. has support from the far right Trump supporters. Now no State wants anything todo with AZ. and enact new regulations to keep them away which hurts the good honest people living in the State.

First my apologies to Roxanna for going off your topic for a minute...

@john258  California is a democrat (pelosi, newsom) disaster and has been since Schwarzenegger, if not before!  Arizona is still a GREAT state and President Trump has nothing to do with the politics here despite you saying otherwise.  You've made false comments here and in other areas of the forums regarding Arizona (to suit your agenda)  showing your total lack of knowledge about what goes on here.  There are always going to be disagreements on the issues in any city or state.  You should know that since you have them where you live, as well. This is not JUST an Arizona issue! This virus is something that NOBODY could have anticipated, let alone known what in the world to do about it or how to handle it.  To act like the Governor of AZ OR the President of this country WANTS people to die, is just sheer insanity on your part.  You Trump Haters really do have some kind of derangement issue goin' on, i fear.

As far as you saying "now no state wants anything to do with Az", I only wish that were true.  Much to our dismay, we are STILL bombarded with out of staters from (CALIF visitors are huge here !) ALL over the place! (hence the ridiculous spread getting worse)  Please don't try to spread false rumors about our great state. Like President Trump, we ain't perfect but our motto here is...just another day in paradise...and we mean it! 👍 ♥️

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

sunluvngal wrote:

john258 wrote:  Yes I do. At one time it was a good State and on weekends we had more people from AZ in my city than any group. They were a real asset. Most were from the Navajo Nation. Then Trump arrived and AZ got a new Governor due to the far right Trump supporters and AZ is now destroying my State, CA and the Navajo Nation with the virus. The good people of AZ plead with the State for help and get nothing from the Trump lackey Gov. but a pathway to death, and the Gov. has support from the far right Trump supporters. Now no State wants anything todo with AZ. and enact new regulations to keep them away which hurts the good honest people living in the State.

First my apologies to Roxanna for going off your topic for a minute...

@john258  California is a democrat (pelosi, newsom) disaster and has been since Schwarzenegger, if not before!  Arizona is still a GREAT state and President Trump has nothing to do with the politics here despite you saying otherwise.  You've made false comments here and in other areas of the forums regarding Arizona (to suit your agenda)  showing your total lack of knowledge about what goes on here.  There are always going to be disagreements on the issues in any city or state.  You should know that since you have them where you live, as well. This is not JUST an Arizona issue! This virus is something that NOBODY could have anticipated, let alone known what in the world to do about it or how to handle it.  To act like the Governor of AZ OR the President of this country WANTS people to die, is just sheer insanity on your part.  You Trump Haters really do have some kind of derangement issue goin' on, i fear.

As far as you saying "now no state wants anything to do with Az", I only wish that were true.  Much to our dismay, we are STILL bombarded with out of staters from (CALIF visitors are huge here !) ALL over the place! (hence the ridiculous spread getting worse)  Please don't try to spread false rumors about our great state. Like President Trump, we ain't perfect but our motto here is...just another day in paradise...and we mean it! 👍 ♥️

Lets cover CA. The virus in S. Calif. spread from east to west. Az was the heart just as it was when the virus spread west to east in my State. The sad thing is it is the Gov. and his supporters who know what is gong on and still march down the trail of what to many leads to death. That is why many States will not allow people from AZ to stay in their State now. My State is one of them. I have spelled out the problems AZ has and you refute none of it, just go to  the far right diversion game.

The virus is a National problem but due to Trump it became a State problem. The gov. of AZ followed Trump and the state is a disaster now per its Medical experts. As for the number of deaths the Gov. of AZ was told there would be more deaths by his medical  experts and followed Trump so that would seem to tell all he does not care, and that would flow down to his remaining supporters on his policy.

You say I  made false comments about AZ. Well prove it. What I have posted is right from the medical experts in AZ. There are many States who are saying they do not want people from AZ. Go look at the banned list  from States, and you will see AZ on just about all of them, my State included.

Yes CA  people might be huge there, and they want back to CA and took the virus to CA and spread it. thanks for proving my point.

The answer is for the Medical experts to be listened to and that will take the good people rising up and forcing the Gov. to do his duty and protect his people from the effects of the virus including death. The only people who think AZ is paradise now are the Gov. and his supporters.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Love Canada.  Would retire there in a heartbeat but my husband hates the cold. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Love Canada.  Would retire there in a heartbeat but my husband hates the cold. 

I would have moved there in 2008 if my wife had been willing to go. Sometimes I wish she would change her mind.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

I bet they extend (AGAIN) this restriction -

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-tra... 

Canada-U.S. border restrictions

As of June 19, 2020, the restriction on all discretionary travel at the Canada-U.S. border that was initially implemented on March 21, 2020, was extended for an additional 30 days until July 21, 2020. This applies to all foreign nationals with some exceptions for immediate family members (see section below). Potential travellers should consult the Border Information Service for information.

Examples of discretionary/optional travel include:

• tourism
  • recreation
  • entertainment

more at the link

Seems your best chance is again isolation:

This is an i updated interactive map at the link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html 

Screenshot_2020-07-14 Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Outbreak update - Canada ca.png

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

These same type of restrictions are being implemented all cross the USA by States right now. You have to quarantine for 14 days before you can go out in the State. NY, NJ, CT, Pa have them for FL. NY just toughened theirs with fines now involved. My State New Mexico has had the quarantine in effect if you flew into the state for a few months now. It has been extended to driving in now. If you stay more than one night and do not leave the place you stayed must notify the State. Out of State people can not use our State Parks now. NM is between Texas, and AZ and we had people moving into NM to get away from the Trump lackies trying to kill them which has caused our virus rate to go up. If I travel out of NM and return they want me to quarantine for 14 days before going out in public.

This is happening all over the USA and just another step by Trump, and his lackies as they destroy the USA. THE ANSWER VOTE TRUMP OUT IN NOV.

Honored Social Butterfly

Went to school with some Canadians, love their National Anthem, and have traveled thru Western Canada, even though rather quickly. Overall, great impressions of Canada, and beautiful Country. 
If I were Canada, I would deny US citizens entry...at least they have a leader who seems to be a normal person!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Americans (US) can traverse through Canada between Alaska and the lower 48. I don't know if there are restrictions on entry point... personally, I'd expect it to be restricted to Blaine, WA. Such people aren't supposed to dawdle or linger, but to make a quick trip of it.

I have read news reports of US persons traveling to Canada with their US-plated vehicle and then going to Banff, etc, for some nice sight seeing. These people have been arrested when found.

I've also read news and forum reports of cars with US license plates ...that are legitimately in Canada: the owners are Canadian snow birds maybe with Florida plates, or Canadian employees of a US company, possibly returned to Canada during this time, with US license plates. Or similar conditions. ... being vandalized, presumably due to the US connection. See 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-harassment-u-s-license-plates-banff-1.5634534

https://globalnews.ca/news/7076360/muskoka-locals-americans-coronavirus/

Otherwise, the border may be closed. You can check here, it seems that you must have an "essential purpose" (or have a family connection)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restri...

This is of more than passing interest to my wife and me. For personal reasons we are seriously considering moving to Canada. She has both Canadian and US citizenship (I have only US) and has family in Canada. This interest has always been there before I retired 2 years ago. And it has gotten of greater interest since about 4 years ago, and oddly enough may get even more appealing come this fall. Wife says that as I am a spouse there is no way that I would be rejected from entering (perhaps not immediately; in any case, her brother and his wife returned to Canada from out of the country and were placed in mandatory 14 day quarantine at the government's expense and care). I had a job transfer to Florida circa 2008. Now that I am retired there's nothing to keep us here except for laziness in taking action to go elsewhere (and the decision on "where?"). I had better start in on the application for permanent resident !

@Roxanna35 wrote:

In view of the fact that now nobody wants to really accept that we are really in trouble. I am thinking seriously to spend time in Canada. until this country gets their act together. 
They are now saying in my area that the number of Covid  are inflated by 30% So we don't have a problem, and in this dinky little town according to the news and Newspapers we have over 4000 cases and doubling every day.

Honored Social Butterfly

Pretty sure the border is still closed as mutually agreed to a few months back.

There are also other states that don't want people from Florida right now - so that limits your choices -

I'd pick Wyoming or one of those sparsely populated states and then pick an area that is very remote.

Live among the Elk.

Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1   my frustration is growing daily, is not only the virus, but the inability of many not to want to accept that this is a virus and it can kill

Is as we live in limbo and simply want to accept  what we want t happen.
I could close my eyes to the world turn off the TV not read newspapers and then what? I  want to be in a place in which I don't have fears. and that I see that we are dealing with all of this together and not so much apart. Can we all admit at least that we are not dealing correctly with any of this?

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

I feel badly for Florida and the other states where it's spiking.   It spiked early in the DC region, Maryland in particular, and I think it was easier to hunker down and wait it out early on when it was all so new.   I know people are so tired of all the social distancing, etc.   😞       

Not saying it won't spike again here in Maryland.  It likely will, especially in the winter.    I've resigned myself to knowing it will take another year before things really get closer to normal.  Hang in there. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png