There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Are seniors being thrown under the tax reform bus?

Message 41 of 45

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Rker, they are trying to lower your taxes and mine. Don't you and the rest of the liberals want their taxes lowered? Do you think that the government will be a better steward of your money than you? Do you understand that every group of people will be getting a tax cut (except for a minute sliver of the population)?  Do you also understand that those people paying no income taxes CAN'T get their taxes cut?

I personally want a tax cut. I think I can manage my money much better than the government. A further advantage will be a simplified program that doesn't have many tens of thousands of pages to understand.

Darling, whomever lowers my taxes is my hero. unfortunately this tax is going to screw me and I will be paying a lot more taxes than before, I am so glad that you will not.

As far as being a liberal, you  know perfectly well that I am as much of a Republican as you seem to be. But, I think. and my tax accountant has aleady told me how is going to affect me. 
I suggest that you do the same. unless of  course you don't need to itemize.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Are seniors being thrown under the tax reform bus?

Message 42 of 45

If the Republicans cared about seniors, they would eliminate or significantly reduce the current 85% of earnings, which are taxable. When FDR started Social Security, he promised it would always be tax free.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 45

@rker321 wrote:

Dear, you don't have to convince many here that we have been screwed to the max with this Tax Reform.
But for many, those "Christian" Republicans that think that any attack on many of their politicians, which some actually compare with Jesus Christ. is really silly and really not an important issue.
I have contacted all the Republican senators and Reps in my State and have told them what I think of this tax reform. Not that they are going to listen, but hopefully more seniors start realizing what they are doing to all of us. and Yes,  we do have a voice, and it is called   Our vote.

Rker, they are trying to lower your taxes and mine. Don't you and the rest of the liberals want their taxes lowered? Do you think that the government will be a better steward of your money than you? Do you understand that every group of people will be getting a tax cut (except for a minute sliver of the population)?  Do you also understand that those people paying no income taxes CAN'T get their taxes cut?

I personally want a tax cut. I think I can manage my money much better than the government. A further advantage will be a simplified program that doesn't have many tens of thousands of pages to understand.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 45

Dear, you don't have to convince many here that we have been screwed to the max with this Tax Reform.
But for many, those "Christian" Republicans that think that any attack on many of their politicians, which some actually compare with Jesus Christ. is really silly and really not an important issue.
I have contacted all the Republican senators and Reps in my State and have told them what I think of this tax reform. Not that they are going to listen, but hopefully more seniors start realizing what they are doing to all of us. and Yes,  we do have a voice, and it is called   Our vote.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Are seniors being thrown under the tax reform bus?

Message 45 of 45

I know many retired seniors have worked hard their whole life to ensure they could live comfortably during their golden years. These are the "middle class" seniors who are not relying on government programs or relatives but are still paying taxes and contributing to society. Yet I fear this segment of the population is being forgotten if not totally "thrown under the bus" of the fast moving "tax reform" plans now moving through Congress. If tax reform passes and their is substantial economic growth as some predict then I fear inflation will be far greater than many middle class seniors planned on. Increased wages and increased economic development do not increase the standard of living for those on fixed incomes. In fact, increased inflation will probably result in increases in medicare premiums that will consume any cost-of-living increases for SSA and pensions ( if your lucky enough to have such a pension). Increased inflation will also make long care insurance more expensive forcing many to drop coverage they have already invested in for years. Elimination of the deduction for medical expenses that includes premiums for medical insurance and long term care could put these self-sufficient seniors in higher marginal tax brackets and increase the amount of their SSA that is taxable. I worry about the impact the proposed changes will have on this segment of the population and have seen little if any creditable analysis of the impact on the approximate 20% of the US population on fixed incomes. Yesterday my 4 year-old grandson was having a discussion with me trying to understand what in meant to be retired. He said "papa, dont worry, I'm going to be a brain doctor and I'll give you all my money if you run out."  I hope he's not right.

Kudos
Views
Replies