Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Anti-gay Kentucky judge must hear LGBTQ cases

Message 71 of 95

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

I think it was a mistake to demand that this judge hear LGBTQ cases,  as he's already shown his inability to think in an unbiased way about these people.

I can't imagine anybody in this community going before him getting a fair hearing.

It seems that he is incapable of performing his duties because his duties require that he impartially hear all people on all sorts of matters,  and he has proven that he cannot do that. That being said, perhaps this guy should find a new line of work.

Of course then, no judge in the United States should be allowed to recuse themselves if they don't feel they could be impartial?  At that rate, every Judge from the municipal courts to the Supreme Court should just find another line of work.

The ones who are biased are those who are calling for his job.

We will eventually find out whose opinion is the erroneous one, won't we?

People far more knowledgable in the Constitution, law, and judicial canons than anyone posting here will be making that determination.

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 95

@pc6063 wrote:

I think it was a mistake to demand that this judge hear LGBTQ cases,  as he's already shown his inability to think in an unbiased way about these people.

I can't imagine anybody in this community going before him getting a fair hearing.

It seems that he is incapable of performing his duties because his duties require that he impartially hear all people on all sorts of matters,  and he has proven that he cannot do that. That being said, perhaps this guy should find a new line of work.

Of course then, no judge in the United States should be allowed to recuse themselves if they don't feel they could be impartial?  At that rate, every Judge from the municipal courts to the Supreme Court should just find another line of work.

The ones who are biased are those who are calling for his job.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 95

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

All the guy tried to do was recuse himself - not stop the adoption. Yet, the LGBTQUE community revealed itself - their interest wasn't in the adoption. It was in attacking anyone thinking differently from themselves and getting headlines.

Nance cited a judicial ethics rule that says a judge must disqualify himself when he has a personal bias or prejudice.

He admitted his bias and tried to let the people not be adversely effected. But that wasn't enough for the activists.

So why do you not think that a judge should not be capable and even be required to overcome his/her own bias and rule by law?

Religious freedom might work. After all, he was not trying to enforce his religious beliefs, he was just sequestering himself.

A number of judges senior to him and specifically and by law qualified to determine whether he will be retained on the bench will be making that decision.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 95

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 95

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

All the guy tried to do was recuse himself - not stop the adoption. Yet, the LGBTQUE community revealed itself - their interest wasn't in the adoption. It was in attacking anyone thinking differently from themselves and getting headlines.

Nance cited a judicial ethics rule that says a judge must disqualify himself when he has a personal bias or prejudice.

He admitted his bias and tried to let the people not be adversely effected. But that wasn't enough for the activists.

So why do you not think that a judge should not be capable and even be required to overcome his/her own bias and rule by law?

Religious freedom might work. After all, he was not trying to enforce his religious beliefs, he was just sequestering himself.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 95

@alferdpacker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

There is an overriding requirement upon the judge...   He swore an oath to uphold the Constitution...

The Constitution plainly states -    "This constitution and the laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof, and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding . . . (A)ll executive and judicial officers, both of the United States, and of the several states shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution."

In 1803 the Supreme Court stated - "It is emphatically the province and duty of the Judicial Department to say what the law is."

The question now being brought before state judicial conduct overseeing groups is - whether a Kentucky judge who fails to honor a Constitutionally valid Supreme Court decision that has defined law in this nation regarding same sex relationships - additionally voicing approval of allowing same sex couples to adopt - should be allowed to continue being a judge - given his statement that he unconditionally opposes that valid Constitutional right - that his statement leads to the conclusion that he would deny adoption to all non-hetero persons - if he thought he could get away with it.

His statements regarding his bias and conviction - in contravention of the Supreme Court's written decision - may be sufficient to remove him from the bench for violations of judicial conduct standards.

The question now is whether he will grovel a bit, apologise sincerely, and earnestly promise never to do that again, and maybe, just maybe, be given a second chance to do it properly from here on out - or not.

Nice try - but no cigar.

Then I suppose Sessions should not have sequestered himself. He should have just hung in there and upheld the Constitution.

Come on, 'fess up - it was all an activist ploy to get headlines in that interesting news source you cited.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 95

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

Thank you sincerely for that learned and erudite legal discourse.

Mind telling us where you earned your JD?

I'm certain they would be pleased to have you mention them...

Nothing original in that post, but just emulating what I previously posted.  But perhaps I should be honored that  you are  using me as a role model for that.

But of course, I wasn't using your legal phrasing. 

Really?   OMG thanks for telling me - I never would have known...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 95

@alferdpacker wrote:

Nothing original in that post, but just emulating what I previously posted.  But perhaps I should be honored that  you are  using me as a role model for that.

But of course, I wasn't using your legal phrasing. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 95

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

Very promising, Komerade...

Keep that up, and the possibility of advanced Korrectness training may be offered...

The word Amerika is German, not Russian.  And you and your friends are the ones that are attempting to force others to subscribe to your opinions.  Basically saying that others have no right to their beliefs that doesn't conform to yours.

Judges are allowed to recuse themselves if they feel they can't honestly perform their duties.   Yet according to you and the biased source you posted, they don't have that right.

So how many gays are looking to adopt?  The way these arguments here sound, the entire state of Kentucky.   In fact the way they sound is that all someone who is gay, etc has to do is walk into a room and demand that everyone conform to their beliefs.   These arguments come across that they are more equal than anyone else.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 95

@alferdpacker wrote:

Very promising, Komerade...

Keep that up, and the possibility of advanced Korrectness training may be offered...

The word Amerika is German, not Russian.  And you and your friends are the ones that are attempting to force others to subscribe to your opinions.  Basically saying that others have no right to their beliefs that doesn't conform to yours.

Judges are allowed to recuse themselves if they feel they can't honestly perform their duties.   Yet according to you and the biased source you posted, they don't have that right.

So how many gays are looking to adopt?  The way these arguments here sound, the entire state of Kentucky.   In fact the way they sound is that all someone who is gay, etc has to do is walk into a room and demand that everyone conform to their beliefs.   These arguments come across that they are more equal than anyone else.

Kudos
Views