Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Another map - "Partisan Prejudice" by State

Message 1 of 5

"Partisan Prejudice" by State

Florida is the most prejudiced state, and a lot of people move to Florida to avoid taxes.

Perhaps when states like Florida set themselves up as a tax haven within the USA they set themselves up for partisan divide. 

Same might be true in Maryland, but in reverse.

When people in Maryland pay high  taxes, they resent the people they share it with.

Maybe the root of partisan divide is inequity. 

In short, money.

The book says the love of money is the root of all evil. 

Maybe it's true.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

Kentucky is listed as one of the unhappiest states and also has a lot of "partisan prejudice".

Kentucky is a Red State, very rural, continually elects Mitch McConnell and has a Tea Party Hedge Fund Millionaire Governor.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

I noticed some of this in Arizona where my Mother lived. I wondered whether it was from being an elder educated conservative or being an elder uneducated conservative...or from watching fox news a majority of the day. 

Can’t say for absolute sure, but for them trump was the pillar of truth and could do no wrong! Even when he wanted to strike down programs that they totally relied on...that’s spooky!

Country over party

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Maryland is pretty bad too.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Another map - "Partisan Prejudice" by State

Message 5 of 5

This article in the Tampa Bay Times today caught my eye (as I live in Florida), headline "Florida is the most politically prejudiced state. That’s not something to brag about."

https://www.tampabay.com/business/florida-is-the-most-politically-prejudiced-state-thats-not-somethi...

The article plays off a recent article in The Atlantic magazine (https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/03/us-counties-vary-their-degree-partisan-prejudic...) reporting on a poll the magazine had commisioned.

I found both articles quite interesting. The Tampa Bay Times' article had good analysis on the specific state of my state, Florida. They state "Florida was entirely dark green, every one of our 67 counties. No other state was so biased. South Carolina was close, but even it had a handful of more tolerant counties."

And when they speak of "more tolerant" counties they are assessing the ability or actuality of highly partisan people of both parties to have any agreement even on issues where there is commonality.

Unlike the "happiness" map I can't draw any general conclusions from the "discord" map, other than perhaps the states with the lowest population density are those where there is more tolerance for opposing views.

Editing to add:  I can't really speak to this in my own experience as a Florida resident. I really don't have much personal contact with other residents. I am aware that locally they seem to be quite conservative, while I am fairly liberal (l sympathize with libertarian tendencies but not on the issue of providing a helping hand to those who need it, so I am a liberal Democrat). Funny anecdote:  went to a restaurant a year or so after having moved here (job transfer years back) and realized as we looked around, a sea of elderly white-haired heads. Male and female. All white, all white/gray hair (or bald), all elderly. Gosh, now that I am retired myself I think I want to move on, away from this area.

Kudos
Views
Replies