Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Another Thread has been locked.

Message 11 of 25

@ReTiReD51 wrote:

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting a different result, then our lives are just pointless even though we keep convincing ourselves otherwise.

.... now that’s really Grist for the mill.

"Having two online identities for yourself is an example of a lack of integrity." …… Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg's online business dealings are extremely good examples of the necessity to maintain multiple identities.

Sometimes I wrestle with my demons - far more often we snuggle.

He (tRump) is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages...
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 25

Note to OP, spell check is a very good thing indeed...I think they have a new moderator or two as well. I made a mildly vulgar joke and got a message saying off color language would not be tolerated. There is such a thing as over-moderating...

Then I just checked my messages and the same moderator had ANOTHER message. We also aren't permitted to use a vulgarity and type ****** instead of letters.

You have to be joking. We're seniors here, I would think everyone is over 21. Watch, they'll message me for typing ***** even though it doesn't represent anything.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 25

HUH!!!!!! would really welcome to see your response, I guess this one is much too confusing for me. LOL

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 25

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting a different result, then our lives are just pointless even though we keep convincing ourselves otherwise.

.... now that’s really Grist for the mill.

"Having two online identities for yourself is an example of a lack of integrity." …… Mark Zuckerberg

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 25

All of the responses have been on target, what we need to instill is to posters not to engage in off topic responses. That would help a lot.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 25

Ignoring the writer may be an option.   Another response it to report them to the overseer's and be sure and document on the thread that you have reported them.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 25

One possible solution would be multiple complaints of inappropriate content to the moderation staff whenever a poster goes off topic, citing the complaint that the off topic post has noticeably and materially "restricted and inhibited the enjoyment of the site" of the complaining poster(s).

Of course final determination, as always, is up to the moderation staff, but it's suspected that if the same poster's identity continually pops up having been complained about....  

A form of plebiscite if you will...

He (tRump) is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages...
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 25

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

If a person hi-jacks a thread, they're a Troll by definition.  If others don't engage them and just ignore the post, the person may just go away...they need an audience.

IMAHO, the topic author SHOULD have the ability to moderate their own topic to a degree.  If they wish to have a post removed from the topic they initiated because it's "off-topic", or for other reasons other than someone just disagreeing with them, then they should have the "authority" to let the moderator know they want the post removed and why.  Wouldn't THAT be a nice solution?

I don't think that I could have put into words any better than what you have stated. You are correct. there is not need to engage a poster in answering any of the off topics in which that poster engages, But, as you well know most of the time it doesn't happen and the thread continues to deteriorate and in the end is nothing to what the initial poster had intended.
Yes, it will take an effort from all of us to simply realize that to continue to engage a poster that goes of topic is not helping this issue.

Perhaps now that you have posted such a very correct post many will follow.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 25

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I believe you have very good intentions, but IMO, you're mistaken.  Topics aren't closed for straying off topic....they're closed for other reasons such as, non-productive discussion, personal attacks and insults, etc.  Many topics stray from the initial intent, just as any discussion will between folks....like at a cocktail party  :-)

Just my thoughts...for whatever they're worth.

Topics are 'locked' for assorted reasons, but going by the following words of a Moderator, it seems that going off topic definitely contributes to it:

"This thread has gone off topic and has descended into insults.

The thread is now locked".

I think it's the "and" part of the sentence.  Topics go off topic all the time....it's part of the natural course of discussion once the discussion wanes.

And since topics have been removed or locked simply because they were a couple of months old, if the discussion doesn't move off point, the topic can't be revisited at a later time without creating a new one.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 25

@rker321 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I believe you have very good intentions, but IMO, you're mistaken.  Topics aren't closed for straying off topic....they're closed for other reasons such as, non-productive discussion, personal attacks and insults, etc.  Many topics stray from the initial intent, just as any discussion will between folks....like at a cocktail party  :-)

Just my thoughts...for whatever they're worth.

You could be correct, but other threads have been locked for going offf topic and the moderators have stated that reason. When a peron simply hi jacks a thread and totally changes the initial post, then in that case, perhaps is reasonable to lock that thread.

If a person hi-jacks a thread, they're a Troll by definition.  If others don't engage them and just ignore the post, the person may just go away...they need an audience.

IMAHO, the topic author SHOULD have the ability to moderate their own topic to a degree.  If they wish to have a post removed from the topic they initiated because it's "off-topic", or for other reasons other than someone just disagreeing with them, then they should have the "authority" to let the moderator know they want the post removed and why.  Wouldn't THAT be a nice solution?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views