Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: An Ole White Man "GETS" White Priviledge NFL Style

Message 31 of 58

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

New book recommendation for those who think racism isn’t alive and well. 

Waking Up White, and Finding Myself in the Story of Race https://www.amazon.com/dp/0991331303/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JCwoCbY6YJQJ3

A woman who has made a career out of seeing the racism of others. A perfect read for those who get off on white guilt.

Fact is there's enough racism in the Republican Party to employ an army of Women writers for eons, and there would still be examples that were not covered.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 58

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Why would it bother anyone that this "ole white man" admits to and explains how he was a recipient of white privilege and points out implicit racism in our culture? It is known that racists are often bothered by someone pointing out racism. Perhaps there are other reason?

That's a good point - why is it even a topic? What is with this obsession with "white guilt"?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 58

Why would it bother anyone that this "ole white man" admits to and explains how he was a recipient of white privilege and points out implicit racism in our culture? It is known that racists are often bothered by someone pointing out racism. Perhaps there are other reason?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 58

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Surely YOU saw the WORD "quota".

I suppose the same argument was used when:

(1) Black people wanted to ride anywhere on the bus; not just he back.

(2) Black people wanted to eat at the same lunch counter as the Whites.

(3) Black people wanted to drink from the same water fountains as the Whites.

(4) Black people wanted to attend Majority White Universities.

(5) Black people wanted to stay at the same motels/hotels as the Whites.

(6) Black people wanted to have the same opportunity for home loans as the Whites

(7) Black people wanted the same opportunities in the film industry as the Whites

It goes on and on............. and the argument always made is "should we have a quota".

In this case, I guess you believe there's just a lack of qualified BLACK COACHES but a never-ending stream of qualified WHITE COACHES.

Sounds like the arguments made in the 1960's, like.......there is a BLACK water fountain everywhere there is a WHITE water fountain, they should be happy.

No, just in the case of this topic and this discussion.

Let me ask you one question, @rk9152.

Do you believe that racial bias has been eliminated in hiring, promotion, and property ownership in our country?????

Nope. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 58

@Soosie wrote:
I keep wondering why some would spend so much time hunting racism. That seems counter-productive. Does it mean I should go to my black friends and tell them there is so much racism in our country that we must part ways?

Anyone that has to "hunt" for racism is America is blind.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 58

@rk9152 wrote:

I suppose the same argument was used when:

(1) Black people wanted to ride anywhere on the bus; not just he back.

(2) Black people wanted to eat at the same lunch counter as the Whites.

(3) Black people wanted to drink from the same water fountains as the Whites.

(4) Black people wanted to attend Majority White Universities.

(5) Black people wanted to stay at the same motels/hotels as the Whites.

(6) Black people wanted to have the same opportunity for home loans as the Whites

(7) Black people wanted the same opportunities in the film industry as the Whites

It goes on and on............. and the argument always made is "should we have a quota".

In this case, I guess you believe there's just a lack of qualified BLACK COACHES but a never-ending stream of qualified WHITE COACHES.

Sounds like the arguments made in the 1960's, like.......there is a BLACK water fountain everywhere there is a WHITE water fountain, they should be happy.

Let me ask you one question, @rk9152.

Do you believe that racial bias has been eliminated in hiring, promotion, and property ownership in our country?????

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 58

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Waking Up White, and Finding Myself in the Story of Race https://www.amazon.com/dp/0991331303/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JCwoCbY6YJQJ3

A woman who has made a career out of seeing the racism of others. A perfect read for those who get off on white guilt.

Racism is real. There are only two choices that explain the pervasive disparities in all measures between blacks and whites. Blacks and whites are the bookends on every graph. Asians and LatinX are always in the middle.  Health, education, employment rates, wealth, income, child welfare, incarceration. You either think black people are somehow inferior to whites, or you understand that something about our societal framework is treating people differently based on the color of their skin.

For example, health outcomes are tied more to how others perceive your race rather than how you self identify.  If people see you as white, you get better health care and better outcomes. That has NOTHING to do with a person’s DNA and everything to do with how others perceive them.

“The heartbeat of racism is denial.”  Ibram X. Kendi 

And a quote from another person who makes his living out of perceived racism. You really do have to expand your area of interest.

Nothing of substance I see.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 58

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Racism is real. There are only two choices that explain the pervasive disparities in all measures between blacks and whites. Blacks and whites are the bookends on every graph. Asians and LatinX are always in the middle.  Health, education, employment rates, wealth, income, child welfare, incarceration. You either think black people are somehow inferior to whites, or you understand that something about our societal framework is treating people differently based on the color of their skin.

For example, health outcomes are tied more to how others perceive your race rather than how you self identify.  If people see you as white, you get better health care and better outcomes. That has NOTHING to do with a person’s DNA and everything to do with how others perceive them.

And a quote from another person who makes his living out of perceived racism. You really do have to expand your area of interest.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 58

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 58

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

So a Progressive uses his access to the microphone to rant about perceived racism - it seems there are some who spend their day and nights (and posts) obsessing about such issues.

Maybe we should have a federally controlled quota system for NFL coaches.

Then we could have one for the NBA - wouldn't that be dandy.

I am not sure about the point you are trying to make about the NBA.

Since the thesis of the thread is about Black Men and Women in positions of power such as coaching in our professional sports, if you are trying to say there's a bunch of BLACK COACHES in the NBA, you would once again, be wrong.

The NBA, made up of 75% BLACK PLAYERS, has only 8 BLACK COACHES. That means only 27% of the teams have BLACK COACHES.

Worse yet, there is only one BLACK owner.

White privilege is clearly at work in the NBA also.

Maybe you'd like to try ICE HOCKEY next????

Kudos
Views