Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Amy Klobuchar - She Might Be the Best Candidate

Message 1 of 14

I thought that Amy Klobuchar had a good debate and also Mayor Pete.  Buttigieg and Klobuchar seemed to get the most mileage, each raising $1m in 24 hours post debate. For a first time debater, Tom Steyer did okay, too.

Yang has some interesting ideas. Why don't we have a VAT tax, anyway? He certainly understands the issues around technology, and recognizes that we are falling behind. I don't really see him as presidential material, but he would be a great person to have in someone's administration. Maybe Steyer, as well.

While other candidates challenged Warren on her ideas, I didn't see anyone being combative. She certainly holds her own, and was no worse for wear. The questions asked were fair. It is a debate, after all, and she ended up with the most speaking time.  I like some of her ideas, and some I don't. 

I do hope that they narrow the field a little more for November (like 8, maybe). I think that 7 or 8 may have already qualified.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

My only problem with Yang is the VAT is the most REGRESSIVE of all taxes as it never touches 70% of the income of the top 1% while hitting 100% of the income of the bottom 80%.

A VAT tax can be anything we want it to be, it's different in different countries.

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-rates/international-vat-and-gst-rates.html

The point is how the money collected is spent and on whom.  I don't think there is any question UBI would benefit the poor, the de-industrilized, small farmers and other small businesses. 

Think of what six adults could do it they pooled UBI for housing , food, education and so on. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Amy Klobuchar - She Might Be the Best Candidate

Message 3 of 14

OceanEdge, thanks for proviiding a link to the Five Thirty Eight info. I have no clue why so many Dems think Warren has the best chance of beating Trump, when that is not true. Maybe they're looking at the national polls instead of the polls which really count, the battleground and purple states. 

The election will almost certainly be decided in Florida and the rust belt states where Warren is not very popular. That's where the focus needs to be as opposed to the national polls.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

election vote polls.jpg

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

@CriticalThinking wrote:

My friend Chasky wrote, "Getting regulations back into place for the Banks and Wall Street is the right thing to do also and Warren wants that. Raising taxes on the wealthiest and Corporations needs to be done and Warren wants that too.

Our Republican economics and social plans aren't working, neither are centrist Democrat plans. We need a touch of Progressiveness in our economics and social plans, Warren or Sanders can bring that and I prefer Warren."

I think Chasky is making the critical mistake of focusing on policies/issues, as opposed to the big picture, which is the battle of Good vs. Evil. There's nothing more important  than taking Trump down. In light of that, choosing the candidate with the best chance of beating Trump, should be the one and only goal of the Dems.

I also prefer Warren's issues, and at the same time completely agree, beating dt is the one and only critical factor.  FiveThirtyEight's polling addresses that and I was surprised where opinions fall at this point in time.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-october-democratic-debate-in-6-charts/

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

The posters in this board  go crazy if anyone attacks Warren,why? I really don't understand. they accuse me because I am still a Republican to have voted for Trump, I am less than anything because I refuse to vote for Warren. and they act like Trump followers in regards that they are as tribal as the Trump followers
 They have fallen like the the Trump followers for the words of their hero and don't even question as to how and when any of that she says will become reality.   I  said  that Trump is us. and now it really seems like Warren is us also.
Their refusal to see and really think  abut others and their views is telling me that we are not advancing at all. 
Sorry, I may be very blunt, but Warren is not the candidate that should win. her ideas are not feasible, and even she, cannot actually come up with how in this world she is going to accomplish anything that she is proposing. Unless you want to believe in fairy tales like she will become President  and there will be a Democratic Senate and a Democratic House Some posters have actually told me not to post here or say anything negative about Warren. really?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Amy Klobuchar - She Might Be the Best Candidate

Message 7 of 14

My friend Chasky wrote, "Getting regulations back into place for the Banks and Wall Street is the right thing to do also and Warren wants that. Raising taxes on the wealthiest and Corporations needs to be done and Warren wants that too.

Our Republican economics and social plans aren't working, neither are centrist Democrat plans. We need a touch of Progressiveness in our economics and social plans, Warren or Sanders can bring that and I prefer Warren."

I think Chasky is making the critical mistake of focusing on policies/issues, as opposed to the big picture, which is the battle of Good vs. Evil. There's nothing more important  than taking Trump down. In light of that, choosing the candidate with the best chance of beating Trump, should be the one and only goal of the Dems.

This is not the election for going with your favorite candidate or issues. If Trump wins another 4 years, America and the world will be in big trouble. Forget your favorite policies and concentrate only on who's best equipped to take out Trump. Whomever the Dems choose will be 10 times better than Trump.

Check out that recent Wisconsin poll I just uploaded where Biden is leading Trump by 9 points, but Warren is only beating him by 4 or 5 points, which is almost within the margin of error. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

She is one of a group of candidates offering themselves as “center-left” substitutes in case the campaign of former Vice President Joe Biden should fall apart.

Klobuchar seems to meet the specific requirements of the 2020 campaign:

Years of experience in the US Senate, check.

Background as a tough law-and-order prosecutor, check.

Female, check.

Visibly younger than Biden and Trump, check.

Represents a state in the Midwest, the key battleground of 2016 and likely of 2020, check.

And one might add: proven defender of corporate America and US imperialism, check, check, check.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Washington (CNN) Amy Klobuchar raised $4.8 million in the third quarter of 2019, her 2020 presidential campaign announced Monday.

The haul bests the $3.87 million the Minnesota Democrat raised in the second quarter of 2019, but is smaller than the $5.2 million that Klobuchar raised in the first quarter of the year.

Klobuchar's third quarter fundraising number pales in comparison to the $25.3 million that Bernie Sanders raised or the $24.6 million that Elizabeth Warren brought in.

Joe Biden's VP? Possible.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

Klobuchar relentlessly attacked Warren. Politics as usual - - attack the front-runner.  Mayor Pete - - - I was proud of him for saying that the Dems need to stop attacking each other, it will only make it harder to win an election against trump. The only "baggage Mayor Pete has is that he is gay - - - what a senseless shame. I would support  Mayor Pete and I think he could beat trump.

Afraid of Warren or Sanders because of a National Health Care Plan?  Ridiculous !! A President can't put a plan like that in place, it will take Congress, our lawmakers, to do that. I think that having a President pushing for Universal Health Care will prompt Congress to adopt a plan for improving the ACA and adding a public option for Medicare, a step in the right direction. Getting regulations back into place for the Banks and Wall Street is the right thing to do also and Warren wants that. Raising taxes on the wealthiest and Corporations needs to be done and Warren wants that too.

Our Republican economics and social plans aren't working, neither are centrist Democrat plans. We need a touch of Progressiveness in our economics and social plans, Warren or Sanders can bring that and I prefer Warren.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

I also have been looking at her very carefully. she is knowledgeable, has down to earth  policies,  and seem to create a sense of stability that i truly believe that we need now.
Don't know if she has enough money behind her to push her to the top. but I would not be surprised to see her as a VP in the next elections.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors