American Citizen Arrested in Russia - Trump MUTE

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: American Citizen Arrested in Russia - Trump MUTE

Message 1 of 10

American Paul Whelan charged with espionage in Russia, news agency reports

An American arrested in Russia has been formally charged with espionage, a Russian news agency reported Thursday, moving the case into Russia’s justice system and possibly deepening the diplomatic tensions with the United States. 

The Interfax news agency report on Paul Whelan’s status could not be independently verified. “An indictment has been presented. Whelan dismisses it,” Interfax reported, citing a person familiar with the situation.

There was no immediate comment from Russian officials, but Interfax and other Russian news agencies have been used to give the first word on some sensitive domestic issues.

Russian lawyer Vladimir Zherebenkov, who was appointed to represent Whelan, was quoted as saying the American will remain in custody in Moscow until at least Feb. 28. It was unclear whether court proceeding could begin before that date, or where Whelan could be held after February. 

TRUMP STILL MUTE - A US CITIZEN - A US MARINE CORP VETERAN - CHARGED WITH SPYING FOR TRUMP

TRUMPS GOT NOTHING TO SAY

Source - https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/american-paul-whelan-charged-with-espionage-in-russia-ne...

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

@jimc91 wrote:

My Cousin got a speeding ticket in Germany two weeks ago and so far I have not heard a single thing from the President...  

Amazing.

Nothing To See Here I beleive is what you are saying...................

What's Amazing is the Fluidic Nature of the Trump Cults concern about Americans Held Captive by other Countries or even the Murders of Permanent American Residents .................

For Example - Trump made it a Habit on the Campagin Trial to Criticize Obama for not securing the Timely Release of American Captives held all over the World

The Trump Cult Members would then Howl in Ecstasy when Trump would Promise them - this will never happen if you elect me President

Again, as President - Trump would Massage his Cult Members with Tough Talk

Like this Macho Soliloquy in July of 2017

“We are aggressively pursuing the release of our people. We will leave no lawful tool, partnership or recovery option off the table,” Trump tells TIME. “I am always tough on countries or terrorist groups that hold our people hostage or detain them on fake charges and keep them captive in hellish locations far from their family and loved ones.”

So yeah Jim - Nothing 4U To See Here - Because Trump Hasn;t Rung the Trump Cult Bell of Entertainment Yet

Because as Most Reasonable People Understand - Trump isn't a US President with the Typical Concerns about other Americans

Trump is a Entertainer & his Perfomances are geared towards getting the Trump Cult to Cheer for him

In fact as Trump has said B4 - He likes Americans who don't get Captured well of cource - unless they serve a purpose for him and can be used to make him look good

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

@jimc91 wrote:

My Cousin got a speeding ticket in Germany two weeks ago and so far I have not heard a single thing from the President...  

Amazing.

Did the Bundespolitzei seize his passport and hold him incognito? If not, the connection between him and the American being held in Russia exists only inside the Republibubble.

Also, shame on your friend - the only place you can get a speeding ticket in Germany is in cities and school zones. s/he's a clear and present danger and should be dealt with most severely!! ( {;o) )

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@john258 wrote:

There has not been much come out yet on this. Based on what has come out there seems to be some sort of back story in play here. No one talked about his record in the Marines and time spent in Russia. To me this does not all add up yet so I will wait till we get more info.

The Guy had a relatively short career in the Marines .....10 - 12 years & left because of his involvement in some kind of Larceny Scheme....................and a Court-martial & received a "bad-conduct" discharge

As a Civilian has worked in NGO's doing "Security Work" Whelan works as the corporate security director for BorgWarner, an automotive parts supplier based in Auburn Hills, Mich

Whelan’s twin brother, David, said Paul was in Moscow for a wedding of a fellow Marine, which took place at an upscale hotel in central Moscow on Dec. 28, the day he was detained. 

“It is inconceivable to me that he would have done anything to break the law in Russia,” David Whelan told The Washington Post.

According to most ex-CIA & Intelligence Officers - to get to be a real spook - you sorta need to be Squeaky Clean in your life.....................if you had a propensity to do illegal activity serving your Country as a Marine - your Trust-worthy-ness would be a serious obstacle in obtaining work as a US Spy

Source - https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/family-of-american-arrested-in-russia-on-spy-charges-fea...

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

Amazing.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

There has not been much come out yet on this. Based on what has come out there seems to be some sort of back story in play here. No one talked about his record in the Marines and time spent in Russia. To me this does not all add up yet so I will wait till we get more info.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

Pompeo 'hopeful' for consular access to detained American in Russia

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday expressed hope that U.S. officials in Russia would get consular access to an American citizen who has been detained in Moscow on charges of spying.

Paul Whelan, a retired Marine who works as a global security director for a Michigan-based auto parts supplier, disappeared over the weekend in Moscow, where his brother said he was set to attend the wedding of a friend. Russia’s Federal Security Service, essentially the Kremlin equivalent of the CIA, said on Monday that he was caught “during an espionage operation,” accusations his family has vehemently denied.

Speaking to reporters in Brazil on Wednesday, Pompeo said he hoped U.S. diplomatic officials would get access to Whelan “within the next hours” to learn more about the circumstances of his arrest.

“We have made clear to the Russians our expectation that we will learn more about the charges, come to understand what it is he’s been accused of and if the detention is not appropriate, we will demand his immediate return,” he said.

In an interview Wednesday morning on CNN, Whelan’s twin brother said Pompeo’s remarks were “the first we’d heard” of the possibility of consular access.

Source - https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/02/pompeo-consular-access-american-detained-russia-1077409

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

@afisher wrote:

Wheland is intertwined with the admitted Russian Spy tied to NRA  Maria Butin.    So this may be a very different game.   After a day or so, Pompeo squealed, but the prisoner has access to the US embassy...so this sounds more like a good spy /bad spy ploy. 

NPR INTERVIEW

Whelan Doesn't Fit The Profile Of A Spy, Former CIA Officer Says

KING: Maria Butina's plea deal probably would have resulted in her getting a short prison term and being deported back to Russia, which does not sound like a particularly severe punishment. Why would Vladimir Putin or why would Moscow take the trouble of trying to get back at the U.S. for something that doesn't seem to be all that severe?

SIPHER: That's a great question. I think what this suggests is it's more severe than we think it is. You know, a lot of the press around Ms. Butina suggests that she just was a young student who was just doing networking and didn't seem to be doing much. And I understand that if you're looking at this from the outside and you don't understand how espionage works. But in our world, Ms. Butina would be something we would call an access agent, sort of the overt face of covert work, if you will.

If you're an operative - a Russian operative coming to the United States - and trying to figure out who you should go after as a target to become a spy, you need people that are out there in the community, in networks that can provide you assessment information on people who are out there, what their psychological profiles are, that type of thing.

So somebody like Ms. Butina would be a force multiplier for the Russian services. She'd be out there. She can advise them on the kind of people that she's meeting with so that the Russian intelligence services can make very strategic choices on who to go after.

KING: All right. Without clear evidence that Whelan was, in fact, spying, can the Russians really prosecute him for espionage? And if they did, what could the potential punishment be?

SIPHER: They absolutely could punish him for espionage. There's a new - in 2012, the Russians redid their espionage law. And they made it so vague that, essentially, they can arrest anybody and charge them with espionage to serve 20 years in jail. Anybody who they consider, quote, "a foreign agent" involved in, quote, "political activities" or holding secret information that can be defined by the U.S. - by the Russian government - can be charged with espionage under the new law.

And it's an incredibly powerful law for the Kremlin because they can essentially grab anybody and define espionage to fit, you know, what they're looking for. So in this case, I think the Russians know that, essentially, if they snatch up someone who's got some vague connections to the U.S. government or to law enforcement, most people understand and assume that there's something there, even if there is nothing there.

KING: So a man who was a former Marine would sort of fit the profile of somebody who they could pick up and kind of run with this. Let me ask you what you see the role of President Putin here and the role of President Trump here. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says we want this guy back.

Those are strong words. Do you think President Putin is testing President Trump, and if he is, what is he testing him on here?

SIPHER: Well, it's hard to say. I think President Trump is the wild card here. President Trump has - in the past, has made comments, you know, conflating, you know, Russian activity with U.S. activity. Remember when he made the famous comment that - about Putin was a killer, saying, well, we all have killers. I think President Trump - excuse me, President Putin - may be testing President Trump here. But it's hard to say.

Trumps a Wimp - a Putin Sycophant - I Would Not Want To Be Whelan

But then there is the whole - hey lets make Trump look good - angle

We can grab a American and then let it look like Trump is so tough a negotiator he got Putin to back down and give us our Americn back

Who knows when your dealing with Two Psychopaths like Trump & Putin

I still would not wabt to be Wheland and have Trump be my only hope

Souurce - https://www.npr.org/2019/01/02/681564973/whelan-doesnt-fit-the-profile-of-a-spy-former-cia-officer-s...

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

Wheland is intertwined with the admitted Russian Spy tied to NRA  Maria Butin.    So this may be a very different game.   After a day or so, Pompeo squealed, but the prisoner has access to the US embassy...so this sounds more like a good spy /bad spy ploy. 

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

American Citizen Arrested in Russia - Trump MUTE

Message 10 of 10

The brother of a U.S. citizen arrested in Russia on espionage charges said Tuesday that he's innocent and was in Moscow to attend a wedding.

Paul Whelan, a retired Marine, was arrested in Moscow on Friday. The Russian Federal Security Service, in announcing the arrest three days later, said Whelan was caught "during an espionage operation," but gave no details.

"We are deeply concerned for his safety and well-being," his brother, David Whelan, said in a statement posted on Twitter. "His innocence is undoubted and we trust that his rights will be respected."

The Russian spying charges carry a prison sentence of up to 20 years.

David Whelan said on MSNBC that his brother was part of a wedding party, and the friend who was getting married had asked him to lead tours around the Kremlin because he had been to Russia before.

"He loves to travel so I wasn't at all surprised that he would be confident going to Russia. He has a law enforcement background, he's got his marine background, he does corporate security and he's aware of the risks of traveling in certain parts of the world," Whelan said.

The company Whelan works for, BorgWarner, an automotive parts supplier, said in a statement that Whelan serves as the company's director of global security and oversees a facility in Auburn Hills, Michigan, as well as other locations "around the world."

Source - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/brother-american-arrested-russia-spying-charges-says-he-was-the...

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors