Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Am I Hallucinating?

Message 1 of 9

@Cirice wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

I decided that I am not hallucinating.  There is something called a "negative hallucination" which occurs when someone doesn't see something that is really there.  I see "Democrats lost control of the House of Representatives."  And, amazingly, Clarence Page, his proof readers, type setters and YOU don't.

I don't take advice from people who are prone to hallucinate.

Of course we saw it. And after reading the rest of the article, we could also see that it was clearly a typo.

If it was a typo, did Clarence Page mean to type, "Democrats won," or "Republicans lost?"  For the sake of argument, let's go with the second. 

According to you, when Clarence page tried to hit the "R" key, he accidentally hit the "D" key.  When he tried to hit the "p" key, he accidentally hit the "m" key.  When he tried to hit the "u" key, he accidentally hit the "o" key.  Etc.

I don't take advice from people who are prone to delusions, either.

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@aruzinsky wrote:

I decided that I am not hallucinating.  There is something called a "negative hallucination" which occurs when someone doesn't see something that is really there.  I see "Democrats lost control of the House of Representatives."  And, amazingly, Clarence Page, his proof readers, type setters and YOU don't.

Of course we saw it. And after reading the rest of the article, we could also see that it was clearly a typo.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

@aruzinsky wrote:

You decided incorrectly.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

TL-DR

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

Could this be Trump humor? Or sarcasm?

Does it matter? The only thing we can know for sure is that if Trump said it, it's probably a lie.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

Could this be Trump humor? Or sarcasm? It’s hard to tell the difference between the two when Trump says something favorable about Democrats.

Neither, Republicans love to hate Pelosi, Trump is doing all he can to keep hate alive.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

You're not hallucinating.  It's just smoke and mirrors. 

Could this be Trump humor? Or sarcasm? It’s hard to tell the difference between the two when Trump says something

and...a few hours later...something else?

“No permanent friends, no permanent enemies, just permanent interests.”....Now is the time for President Trump and his top adversaries to show they can make that work.

Now that, although a reasonable expectation, could be hallucinating.  dt's has enemies, semi permanent ones.  Mueller on his mind all the time.  His friend list wafts in the wind per 'his interests'.  Among his top political adversaries more women are now involved.  A good faith effort from dt would be in self discipline putting the brakes on before he calls any more women names and makes fun of their faces, their bodies, their weight, their education, their husbands, etc.  Sorry, he can't commit to that, for America.  It is sad.  Instead, he will learn he is mostly irrelevant while other people have jobs to get done.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Am I Hallucinating?

Message 9 of 9

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/page/ct-perspec-page-nancy-pelosi-donald-trump-maxine-wat...

President Trump 2.0: No more 'Crazy Maxine'?

By Clarence Page•Contact Reporter

November 9, 2018, 3:50 PM

Did anyone expect at least a hint of humility from President Donald Trump after Democrats lost control of the House of Representatives? If so, they don’t know our transactional president.

Almost lost in his occasionally hostile exchanges with reporters Wednesday at his first news conference after the midterms was the olive branch he offered to House Democratic leaders.

“In all fairness, Nancy Pelosi deserves to be chosen Speaker of the House by the Democrats,” he tweeted that morning. “If they give her a hard time, perhaps we will add some Republican votes. She has earned this great honor!”

What? No more “High Tax, High Crime” and “MS13-loving Nancy”? Those were the sorts of nicknames he attached to her in rally speeches. Now he was endorsing her return to the speakership, a position she held before Republicans retook control of the House in 2011.

Could this be Trump humor? Or sarcasm? It’s hard to tell the difference between the two when Trump says something favorable about Democrats.

Column: With a Democratic-led House, expect gridlock and nastiness ahead. But maybe Donald Trump’s tax returns, too. »

But, nope, he insisted at his raucous Wednesday press conference. His support was sincere. "She worked hard for it," Trump said.

What a difference an election makes. Perhaps the president’s mood shift also has something to do with another of his favorite Democratic targets, Rep. Maxine Waters of California.

On the campaign trail, Trump sounded alarms that “Crazy Maxine” or “Low-IQ Maxine” would be “put in charge of our country’s finances” if the Democrats won the House. There was more than a little Trumpian exaggeration in that statement, but Waters is the senior Democrat on the House committee that oversees financial regulation and housing finance reform.

More pressing for Trump, perhaps, is the subpoena power her chairmanship would give her, which could ruin the days of Trump and his associates.

With that in mind, Trump did show a little bit of dagger beneath his love bouquet. Should Democrats decide to tie up Congress with investigations of Team Trump, he said, he is ready to work with Senate Republicans to investigate alleged leaks of classified documents and other issues among the Dems.

Here we see Trump as the Transactional President, the former Democrat and real estate developer whose ideology is best summed up as “Let’s make a deal.”

His lack of firm ideological beliefs has freed him, in essence, to give the customer what he or she wants. He has won more than 80 percent support from self-identified evangelical Christians for his conservative judicial appointments, among other policy decisions, despite his reputation for having violated an eye-popping number of the Ten Commandments.

And there are areas on which both parties have shown enough agreement to begin fruitful negotiations. Both Pelosi and Trump have spoken of making infrastructure repair a top priority, as well as lowering prescription drug prices.

One presumes there also are tantalizing possibilities for reforms to save insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, for people with pre-existing conditions. Focusing on that issue at Pelosi’s insistence provided so much high-octane power to Democratic congressional campaigns that Trump and other Republicans began to claim they were the true champions for saving the coverage, even after they voted repeatedly to abolish Obamacare or gradually defund it.

It remains to be seen whether Pelosi will receive as much pushback from her party’s left wing as Trump and other Grand Old Party leaders have received from the GOP’s congressional right-wingers. Pelosi herself had been demonized by progressive and populist Democrats calling for fresh blood almost as much as Republican candidates made her a target of right-wing wrath.

But I wouldn’t count Pelosi out. So far, no other House Democrat has come close to matching her ability to raise campaign dollars for House Dems or navigate legislation. The party does need to develop new talent, as Republicans have done over the past two decades, at the state and local level. But for now, Pelosi is well-prepared for what she, too, has called a “transition” period to her party’s full recovery.

“No permanent friends, no permanent enemies, just permanent interests.” So goes an old, much-repeated slogan of pragmatic politicians. Voters have shown a preference for divided government in this midterm, but they also want to see real problem-solving through compromise. Now is the time for President Trump and his top adversaries to show they can make that work.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors