Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is Right

Message 11 of 46

@rk9152 wrote:

Would you include "lil donnie" for the POTUS in your "vile hatred"?

The only ones that spread vile hatred are the Trump followers, I don't know when  posters are going to understand that.

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 46

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Only way I can see to "right the Ship of State" on this one is to find a way to eliminate the vile hatred that has replaced rational debate in our society, and an excellent place to begin would be to reinstate The Fairness Doctrine in broadcasting and extend it to the Internet.

Would you include "lil donnie" for the POTUS in your "vile hatred"?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 46

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The destruction of classroom equipment by the "less advantaged" students has been goin on since the 1950's, something I observed 1st hand when our middle class teams visited identical schools in the poor part of our town and saw the lockers trashed, bleacher seats ripped out, windows broken and the other teams uniforms in sad shape. That was when ALL the school supplies were provided at no or little cost, so it's a much larger problem than you suppose.

But here's where you really leave the tracks - the changes being put foreward by AOC and others are to RESTORE the tax system that built the fantastic infrastructure, including schools, and maintained them with LOWER middle class taxes than we've had since 1981. That's lower federal income tax AND much lower state and local taxes because REVENUE SHARING put federal money back to the states based on population.

So my k-12 was FREE to the students - no charges for text books, a school store that handed out supples t owhoever needed them BUT the kids working the store knew if someone was scamming the system and "policed" the system so nobody was ripping it off. A part-time job would buy you a hot lunch for about 12 minutes at the minimum wage, all sports, band, theater and clubs were free to the participants and many students could even make use of school instruments that were kept in good condition for decades.

College at a major (+25K undergrads) University wasn't "free" but tuition of $130/semester was pretty darn close, especially when the minimum wage was the equivalent of $14/hour today. 

The reason our grandkids don't have the same deal is the Reagan Taxscam redistributed all the increased profits from the workers to the managers simply by allowing the ones dividing the profits to KEEP WHAT THEY GAVE THEMSELVES. In the 1950's with a TMR of 91% workers wages increased by 143.1% of the increase in worker productivity. In the 1960's and70's, the TMR was cut to 70%, and worker's wages only grew by 80.3% of the increase in productivity. Since then, productivity increased 143.1% but wages only grew(sic) by 8.3%. IF THE SAME CONNECTION BETWEEN INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY AND INCREASED WAGES THAT EXISTED FROM WWII UNTIL THE 1970'S HAD CONTINUED, THE AVERAGE WORKER WOULD BE GETTIN $97,000/YEAR (VS $60,000) AND THE AVERAGE CEO WOULD BE GETTING $4,000,000 (VS $20,000,000 WITH ALL THE REST OF MANAGEMENT SEEING THE SAME INCREASES AS THE CEOs GAVE THEMSELVES).

No poor person is going to vote the confiscation of your property - the Uberrich already did that, and they've convinced a whole lot of people it was all The Government's Fault. But Affirmative Action only increased the number of women and non-whites in the workforce. Those groups are STILL largely excluded from the Management segment who got and are getting all the increases.

If you want to protect what you worked hard to acquire, NEVER VOTE FOR ANOTHER REPUBLICAN - THEY ARE THE ONES THAT MADE US BOOMERS THE LAST GENERATION TO DO BETTER THAN OUR PARENTS.

Some very interesting points in that.

- destroying stuff by the "less advantaged". Certainly - they didn't pay for it and they do not have to pay for repair or replacement. A problem with any welfare program.

- the idea of "restoring the tax system" is to provide more stuff to people who did not earn it so they can trash it..

- the Reagan tax cuts have nothing to do with education. Your previous claim about the Feds paying 75% of higher education has been shown to be one of "those" facts and has been dropped for a while.

- a poor person will not vote the confiscation of another's property, except when they are told it will be given to them. In that case, votes can be bought.

Agree 100% that people do not write on their own bathroom walls, regardless of their income level, but you're missing a key element: "ownership", and that is not entirely based on legalities like deeds and sales receipts.

The kids that were trashing their school were a very small, albeit energetic, minority. The kids from those schools I got to know through sports and extra curricular activities were totally PO'd that a few thugs were trashing their schools, and had older brothers and sisters who told them it wasn't always that way.

The difference seems to be a loss of the SENSE of ownership by the COMMUNITY (student body). Now many many years later, I believe the "loss" was caused by the creation of a WE - THEM mentality on the part of the students (WE) against the facility (THEM). This has grown to divide us as a Nation.

I will suggest this happened when the PARENTS decided to side with their kids no matter what. My guess is this stems from a whole lot of GIs who had the misfortune to encounter some college educated"90-day-wonders" and well-heeled NCOs from the Reserves, and realized they'd get punished (or slaughtered in battle)  because someone up the command chain was playing CYA to protect incompetents.

When we won and the boys came home, these unfortunates were bound and determined their kids would never suffer the same fate, and the first "snowflakes" were born.  Like a whole raft of destructive behaviors, (promiscuity, drug use, petty crime) and unfortunate changes to our language and dress, this came from the bottom and percolated UP so it's now totally embraced by every level of society.

Only way I can see to "right the Ship of State" on this one is to find a way to eliminate the vile hatred that has replaced rational debate in our society, and an excellent place to begin would be to reinstate The Fairness Doctrine in broadcasting and extend it to the Internet.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 46

@Cirice wrote:

And Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez must be right about a lot of things to make the cons get so freaked out 😁

Pointing out the foolishness of many of her ideas and the impracticality of her ideas is hardly "freaking out".

On the other hand, not noting her foolishness and impracticalities is blind obedience to anything that is not capitalism - or anything that will implement wealth redistribution.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 46

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

Nope not at all.   GUIDELINES says you should cite your sources.

No valid and verifiable sources have been cited - therefore the content of your post is unverified opinion...

Note the word "should"?   There is a difference between the word "will" and "should".  The word should indicates it is recommended, not required.

Spent a career studying military regulations and the Courts-Martial manual differentiating between what is required, recommended or what is permissible.

So can we dispense with attempting to take the thread off-topic or obfuscating it?

Besides I was stating my opinion.

Which is exactly what @alferdpacker said.   

"the content of your post is unverified opinion."

No one is expected to cite sources for their own personal opinion, of course. However, your comment, "But during their administration much was written about children not eating the meals she, through political influence as First Lady, had directed to be served in school lunchrooms."  is stated as a fact -- not as your opinion.

And Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez must be right about a lot of things to make the cons get so freaked out 😁

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 46

Hi all,

This thread is starting to get off-topic. While you may have different opinions, please remember to be respectful of one another as our guidelines state: This is a diverse community of people with diverse opinions. It is up to each of us to be polite and treat each other with respect.

You can read the full guidelines here: http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Thanks and happy posting!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 46

Even though you may not agree with her on every issue, you have to admire her energy and enthusiasm.

It was her energy and enthusiasm that pulled off "one of the biggest upsets in recent American political history" according to The Guardian.

While working as a bartender, she operated her campaign "out of a paper grocery bag hidden behind that bar." Between shifts at the restaurant, Ocasio-Cortez retrieved her political literature and a change of clothes from the bag, then took off to canvass.

aoc on street.jpg

"As a bartender I got really, really, really good at listening to people, and I got really good at understanding people's needs, beyond just food and drink," she said. But she also had to grow a "really thick skin" to deal with rude customers and harassment.

Her opponent in the election, the veteran Joe Crowley, was endorsed by New York Governor Cuomo, Chuck Schumer, Kirsten Gillibrand, as well as New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.
Crowley outspent her 18-1, with less than 1% of his donations coming from small donors. Most of her donations came from small donors.

Her mother knew her daughter was going to make it in politics. She said Alexandria was always "talking politics". AOC and her mother both held their hand on the bible when Ocasio-Cortez was sworn in.

Before Ocasio-Cortez headed to Washington to be sworn in, she was filled with enthusiasm. She was ready to roll up her sleeves and get to work. She said she was very happy with the $174,000 salary (and benefits), which only added to her enthusiasm for her new job.

Tump was elected in 2016 because voters wanted to, as Michael Moore put it, "throw a human hand grenade" at Washington.

In some ways, AOC is like Trump. She is a combatant of the status quo. I don't think she is going "to get in line".

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 46

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

Yes, you did make a post - the content of which stated opinion. (unsupported by valid and verified fact)

I'm permitted to state my opinion that the content of your post containing an opinion is bogus.

An opinion isn't required to be supported verified facts.  They are opinions.  If required,  then where is the supporting documentation about the many and varied claims in your posts?  

Have a good day Alferd..... so much for this having been taken off-topic.

2f1d612adf066a502f9bc18a41ce858e.jpg

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 46

@alferdpacker wrote:

Yes, you did make a post - the content of which stated opinion. (unsupported by valid and verified fact)

I'm permitted to state my opinion that the content of your post containing an opinion is bogus.

An opinion isn't required to be supported verified facts.  They are opinions.  If required,  then where is the supporting documentation about the many and varied claims in your posts?  

Have a good day Alferd..... so much for this having been taken off-topic.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 46

And before the Moderators close this page because of many posters going off topic. 
I will put my two cents in 

In regard to this lady, who is in fact the topic of this thread.

I believe that she is showing a lot of immaturity in many of her actions. is not a matter of being right or wrong. is not trying to learn her job before she speaks and produces bills.

Even if she is correct is everything that she has to say. even if she is representing her constituents in that  are of New York,

I truly believe that she represent policies that are too much to the left and she can be as she wants, but should be more careful what goes out to the media. She needs to pause, and not try to become the newest hero of the Democratic House. I will pay attention to her when she has learned how the House works and deals with all the guidelines of her job.

In the meanwhile, my advise to her, that for the time being silence is advisable.

no name
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.

Top Authors