Get the information you need to help care for your eyes at the AARP Eye Center. Visit it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is Right

Message 31 of 46

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Perhaps you can tell how you know about food being thrown away?  First I have remarked that my wife worked for local school districts for 26 years.  Those getting free or subsidized meals have to request them.  Employees in the schools can't help but be aware of habits and actions of individual students. 

As an independent not only in politics but in life, I'm not aware of the magical powers of either conservatives or liberals although I'm thinking liberals believe they do.

I do recall that it was said that much food was wasted because of Michelle Obama's attempt to dictate nutrition for the nation's schools. 

I believe I asked how you could tell the children throwing away food was from the students who were subsidized by the state vs those who got their food free from their parents. You took some liberties with my question and answered something completely different. 

As you may know, I volunteer a lot and have some knowledge of who is getting subsidized food.  I can assure you that a child getting one hot meal in a day is not throwing it away. Is your experience different?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 46

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I don't think I have seen the word "free" anywhere except in the Conservative fantasy scenarios.  I have been in the schools when lunch is served and, certainly, some of that goes into the trash but you can usually tell the students who are not being fed at home.  I am wondering how you know which students have subsidized meals and which get free meals from their parents.

I'm sure that many liberals are also aware of free and subsidized scenarios but for partisan reasons won't admit it.

I am still curious about how you know the one's throwing away the food are the children getting subsidized lunches as opposed to the one's getting free food from their parents.  Is there some kind of magical power granted only to Conservatives which tells them this?

Perhaps you can tell how you know about food being thrown away?  First I have remarked that my wife worked for local school districts for 26 years.  Those getting free or subsidized meals have to request them.  Employees in the schools can't help but be aware of habits and actions of individual students. 

As an independent not only in politics but in life, I'm not aware of the magical powers of either conservatives or liberals although I'm thinking liberals believe they do.

I do recall that it was said that much food was wasted because of Michelle Obama's attempt to dictate nutrition for the nation's schools. 

It was said that much food was wasted because of Michelle Obama's attempt to dictate nutrition for the nation's schools.

Can links to verifiable and valid proof be posted - or does it remain an unproven allegation?

Gottfried von Berlichingen said it 500 years ago - now it is entirely appropriate and deserved for trump...
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 46

@Richva wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I don't think I have seen the word "free" anywhere except in the Conservative fantasy scenarios.  I have been in the schools when lunch is served and, certainly, some of that goes into the trash but you can usually tell the students who are not being fed at home.  I am wondering how you know which students have subsidized meals and which get free meals from their parents.

I'm sure that many liberals are also aware of free and subsidized scenarios but for partisan reasons won't admit it.

I am still curious about how you know the one's throwing away the food are the children getting subsidized lunches as opposed to the one's getting free food from their parents.  Is there some kind of magical power granted only to Conservatives which tells them this?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 46

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The destruction of classroom equipment by the "less advantaged" students has been goin on since the 1950's, something I observed 1st hand when our middle class teams visited identical schools in the poor part of our town and saw the lockers trashed, bleacher seats ripped out, windows broken and the other teams uniforms in sad shape. That was when ALL the school supplies were provided at no or little cost, so it's a much larger problem than you suppose.

But here's where you really leave the tracks - the changes being put foreward by AOC and others are to RESTORE the tax system that built the fantastic infrastructure, including schools, and maintained them with LOWER middle class taxes than we've had since 1981. That's lower federal income tax AND much lower state and local taxes because REVENUE SHARING put federal money back to the states based on population.

So my k-12 was FREE to the students - no charges for text books, a school store that handed out supples t owhoever needed them BUT the kids working the store knew if someone was scamming the system and "policed" the system so nobody was ripping it off. A part-time job would buy you a hot lunch for about 12 minutes at the minimum wage, all sports, band, theater and clubs were free to the participants and many students could even make use of school instruments that were kept in good condition for decades.

College at a major (+25K undergrads) University wasn't "free" but tuition of $130/semester was pretty darn close, especially when the minimum wage was the equivalent of $14/hour today. 

The reason our grandkids don't have the same deal is the Reagan Taxscam redistributed all the increased profits from the workers to the managers simply by allowing the ones dividing the profits to KEEP WHAT THEY GAVE THEMSELVES. In the 1950's with a TMR of 91% workers wages increased by 143.1% of the increase in worker productivity. In the 1960's and70's, the TMR was cut to 70%, and worker's wages only grew by 80.3% of the increase in productivity. Since then, productivity increased 143.1% but wages only grew(sic) by 8.3%. IF THE SAME CONNECTION BETWEEN INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY AND INCREASED WAGES THAT EXISTED FROM WWII UNTIL THE 1970'S HAD CONTINUED, THE AVERAGE WORKER WOULD BE GETTIN $97,000/YEAR (VS $60,000) AND THE AVERAGE CEO WOULD BE GETTING $4,000,000 (VS $20,000,000 WITH ALL THE REST OF MANAGEMENT SEEING THE SAME INCREASES AS THE CEOs GAVE THEMSELVES).

No poor person is going to vote the confiscation of your property - the Uberrich already did that, and they've convinced a whole lot of people it was all The Government's Fault. But Affirmative Action only increased the number of women and non-whites in the workforce. Those groups are STILL largely excluded from the Management segment who got and are getting all the increases.

If you want to protect what you worked hard to acquire, NEVER VOTE FOR ANOTHER REPUBLICAN - THEY ARE THE ONES THAT MADE US BOOMERS THE LAST GENERATION TO DO BETTER THAN OUR PARENTS.

Some very interesting points in that.

- destroying stuff by the "less advantaged". Certainly - they didn't pay for it and they do not have to pay for repair or replacement. A problem with any welfare program.

- the idea of "restoring the tax system" is to provide more stuff to people who did not earn it so they can trash it..

- the Reagan tax cuts have nothing to do with education. Your previous claim about the Feds paying 75% of higher education has been shown to be one of "those" facts and has been dropped for a while.

- a poor person will not vote the confiscation of another's property, except when they are told it will be given to them. In that case, votes can be bought.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 46

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I agree with thsmths.  There is much food waste in school lunchrooms. Those that doesn't are mostly those who receive free lunches, excepting those who are not being fed at home.  The school workers can mostly tell which doesn't receive good meals at home.  And they are aware of those receiving subsidized meals because of the paperwork they handle.  My wife worked in local school districts for 26 years and was aware of all this.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 46
She represents her constituents... right? or at least she's supposed to. Your rewards are based on what you invest in... in their case (voters) in my best forrest gump voice, "stupid is what stupid does".

She's a twit. Carry on twitters.

I'm proud to be everything liberals hate.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 46

@fangoh45 wrote:

@gordyfl wrote:

aoc mic.jpg

The Big Guns are Out for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

AOC is Under Fire Because She is Right

AOC: “Every single policy proposal that we have adopted and presented to the American public has been overwhelmingly popular, even some with a majority of Republican voters supporting.”

Ocasio-Cortez is exactly right.

Reuters Poll: 70 percent support Medicare for all, including 52 percent of Republicans.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/403248-poll-seventy-percent-of-americans-support-medicare-for-...

Fox News Poll: 70 percent support raising taxes on those making over $10 million a year.

https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2019/feb/06/michael-moore/70-americans-favor-70-tax...

Bloomberg Poll: 62 percent support tuition-free college.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-01/majority-of-americans-want-college-to-be-free

Kaiser Foundation Poll: 92 percent support having Medicare negotiate with drug companies to lower drug prices.

https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/searching-for-savings-in-medicare-drug-price-negotiations/

Yale/George Mason Poll: 81 percent support the Green New Deal plan.

http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/the-green-new-deal-has-strong-bipartisan-support/

Hart Poll: 63 percent support $15 minimum wage.

Polls, polls.

Most sre slanted, others prove to be wrong many times.

I  bet, had a pool been conducted on passengers boarding the Titanic, 100% would be positive for the voyage. AOC’s plan would end the same as RMC Titanic.

Thanks for the post adding additional validation to the polls.

Gottfried von Berlichingen said it 500 years ago - now it is entirely appropriate and deserved for trump...
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 46

@Olderscout66 wrote:

the Reagan Taxscam

Doubt your "Reagan Taxscam" has had anything to do with what the poster was talking about.  So far this 'taxscam' of yours from decades ago has been blamed on everything except the flood here in 2017 from Hurricane Harvey ....shouldn't be much longer until it is blamed on that 'taxscam' of yours.

Even in your post you've given an example of those not appreciating that which is furnished without any effort on the recepient's part.  Doubtful your taxscam had anything to do with that.  Besides, it is more so Democrats who push freebies on the unfortunate instead of encouraging and working with them to help themselves.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 46

@gordyfl wrote:

aoc mic.jpg

The Big Guns are Out for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

AOC is Under Fire Because She is Right

AOC: “Every single policy proposal that we have adopted and presented to the American public has been overwhelmingly popular, even some with a majority of Republican voters supporting.”

Ocasio-Cortez is exactly right.

Reuters Poll: 70 percent support Medicare for all, including 52 percent of Republicans.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/403248-poll-seventy-percent-of-americans-support-medicare-for-...

Fox News Poll: 70 percent support raising taxes on those making over $10 million a year.

https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2019/feb/06/michael-moore/70-americans-favor-70-tax...

Bloomberg Poll: 62 percent support tuition-free college.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-01/majority-of-americans-want-college-to-be-free

Kaiser Foundation Poll: 92 percent support having Medicare negotiate with drug companies to lower drug prices.

https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/searching-for-savings-in-medicare-drug-price-negotiations/

Yale/George Mason Poll: 81 percent support the Green New Deal plan.

http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/the-green-new-deal-has-strong-bipartisan-support/

Hart Poll: 63 percent support $15 minimum wage.

Polls, polls.

Most sre slanted, others prove to be wrong many times.

I  bet, had a poll been conducted on passengers boarding the Titanic, 100% would be positive for the voyage. AOC’s plan would end the same as RMS Titanic.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 46

@thsmths wrote:

Just a few thoughts to consider. I spent 10 years in a classroom in a Title 1 school. Many of our students were not born in the U.S., and I do not know if they were legally here or not.

Here is the crux of what "free" looks like in a school. Free lunch and breakfast often means 50% or more of the meal is thrown in the trash. Classroom resources provided by the teacher are abused, destroyed, stolen and lost as students consider those things "free," as well.  Students expect teachers to supply paper, pencils and resources needed to operate a classroom.

I am not so sure "free" is a good idea. There is no investment in being a wise steward of what has been recieved. Free seemed to have no value to many of the students who walked through my door. It was an entitlement and something to be abused. Now politicians are talking about free education at all levels. It most likely would be abused as well. I worked hard when I was in school, because I knew the cost of being there and appreciated the opportunity. If it doesn't cost you anything.....

No one ever handed anything to us (husband and I) and we had to work hard for what we have. It meant sacrifice to save for our retirement. The time may be coming when people will vote to take away what we have saved, rather then to go out and earn it themselves. It will make me wonder why we didn't just spend everything as we earned it.

Couple thoughts on your couple thoughts.  The amount of food thrown out has nothing to do with what the students paid for it - the "full price" meals hit the crapper just as often as the "free" ones.

The destruction of classroom equipment by the "less advantaged" students has been goin on since the 1950's, something I observed 1st hand when our middle class teams visited identical schools in the poor part of our town and saw the lockers trashed, bleacher seats ripped out, windows broken and the other teams uniforms in sad shape. That was when ALL the school supplies were provided at no or little cost, so it's a much larger problem than you suppose.

But here's where you really leave the tracks - the changes being put foreward by AOC and others are to RESTORE the tax system that built the fantastic infrastructure, including schools, and maintained them with LOWER middle class taxes than we've had since 1981. That's lower federal income tax AND much lower state and local taxes because REVENUE SHARING put federal money back to the states based on population.

So my k-12 was FREE to the students - no charges for text books, a school store that handed out supples t owhoever needed them BUT the kids working the store knew if someone was scamming the system and "policed" the system so nobody was ripping it off. A part-time job would buy you a hot lunch for about 12 minutes at the minimum wage, all sports, band, theater and clubs were free to the participants and many students could even make use of school instruments that were kept in good condition for decades.

College at a major (+25K undergrads) University wasn't "free" but tuition of $130/semester was pretty darn close, especially when the minimum wage was the equivalent of $14/hour today. 

The reason our grandkids don't have the same deal is the Reagan Taxscam redistributed all the increased profits from the workers to the managers simply by allowing the ones dividing the profits to KEEP WHAT THEY GAVE THEMSELVES. In the 1950's with a TMR of 91% workers wages increased by 143.1% of the increase in worker productivity. In the 1960's and70's, the TMR was cut to 70%, and worker's wages only grew by 80.3% of the increase in productivity. Since then, productivity increased 143.1% but wages only grew(sic) by 8.3%. IF THE SAME CONNECTION BETWEEN INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY AND INCREASED WAGES THAT EXISTED FROM WWII UNTIL THE 1970'S HAD CONTINUED, THE AVERAGE WORKER WOULD BE GETTIN $97,000/YEAR (VS $60,000) AND THE AVERAGE CEO WOULD BE GETTING $4,000,000 (VS $20,000,000 WITH ALL THE REST OF MANAGEMENT SEEING THE SAME INCREASES AS THE CEOs GAVE THEMSELVES).

No poor person is going to vote the confiscation of your property - the Uberrich already did that, and they've convinced a whole lot of people it was all The Government's Fault. But Affirmative Action only increased the number of women and non-whites in the workforce. Those groups are STILL largely excluded from the Management segment who got and are getting all the increases.

If you want to protect what you worked hard to acquire, NEVER VOTE FOR ANOTHER REPUBLICAN - THEY ARE THE ONES THAT MADE US BOOMERS THE LAST GENERATION TO DO BETTER THAN OUR PARENTS.

Kudos
Views