Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is Right

Message 41 of 46

I will say again, that this Representative should learn her job first and then start  telling us what she wants to change.

I simply don't feel comfortable with a newbie that thinks that she knows it all and tries to promote extreme changes without knowing all the unintended consequences of what she is talking about.

At this point  in time I am sure with a little more maturity in her job she will be able to provide us with good ideas and the implementation of those ideas and how good they are.

So, I will at this time will not commit to saying that she is right or wrong. I want to wait and see what she produces when she really knows her present job .

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 46
AOC is touching populist ideas. The good thing about 'ideas' is their cheap and start a dialog.
I think the dialog is... great ideas that ain't worth the salt in your grub.

She just repeating what she heard from other student activists. Nothing wrong with that. If it's proposed as a question... great! beyond that it's a nothing. There is no plan for her idea. however from what i've read... lol... she's a twit.

Two choices... structure or chaos.

I'm proud to be everything liberals hate.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 46

@Richva wrote:

I don't think I have seen the word "free" anywhere except in the Conservative fantasy scenarios.  I have been in the schools when lunch is served and, certainly, some of that goes into the trash but you can usually tell the students who are not being fed at home.  I am wondering how you know which students have subsidized meals and which get free meals from their parents. 

I agree with thsmths.  There is much food waste in school lunchrooms. Those that doesn't are mostly those who receive free lunches, excepting those who are not being fed at home.  The school workers can mostly tell which doesn't receive good meals at home.  And they are aware of those receiving subsidized meals because of the paperwork they handle.  My wife worked in local school districts for 26 years and was aware of all this.

I'm sure that many liberals are also aware of free and subsidized scenarios but for partisan reasons won't admit it.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 46

@thsmths wrote:

Just a few thoughts to consider. I spent 10 years in a classroom in a Title 1 school. Many of our students were not born in the U.S., and I do not know if they were legally here or not.

Here is the crux of what "free" looks like in a school. Free lunch and breakfast often means 50% or more of the meal is thrown in the trash. Classroom resources provided by the teacher are abused, destroyed, stolen and lost as students consider those things "free," as well.  Students expect teachers to supply paper, pencils and resources needed to operate a classroom.

I am not so sure "free" is a good idea. There is no investment in being a wise steward of what has been recieved. Free seemed to have no value to many of the students who walked through my door. It was an entitlement and something to be abused. Now politicians are talking about free education at all levels. It most likely would be abused as well. I worked hard when I was in school, because I knew the cost of being there and appreciated the opportunity. If it doesn't cost you anything.....

No one ever handed anything to us (husband and I) and we had to work hard for what we have. It meant sacrifice to save for our retirement. The time may be coming when people will vote to take away what we have saved, rather then to go out and earn it themselves. It will make me wonder why we didn't just spend everything as we earned it.

I don't think I have seen the word "free" anywhere except in the Conservative fantasy scenarios.  I have been in the schools when lunch is served and, certainly, some of that goes into the trash but you can usually tell the students who are not being fed at home.  I am wondering how you know which students have subsidized meals and which get free meals from their parents. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 46

In retrospect, posting observations about experiences was not a good idea.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is Right

Message 46 of 46

aoc mic.jpg

The Big Guns are Out for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

AOC is Under Fire Because She is Right

AOC: “Every single policy proposal that we have adopted and presented to the American public has been overwhelmingly popular, even some with a majority of Republican voters supporting.”

Ocasio-Cortez is exactly right.

Reuters Poll: 70 percent support Medicare for all, including 52 percent of Republicans.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/403248-poll-seventy-percent-of-americans-support-medicare-for-...

Fox News Poll: 70 percent support raising taxes on those making over $10 million a year.

https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2019/feb/06/michael-moore/70-americans-favor-70-tax...

Bloomberg Poll: 62 percent support tuition-free college.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-01/majority-of-americans-want-college-to-be-free

Kaiser Foundation Poll: 92 percent support having Medicare negotiate with drug companies to lower drug prices.

https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/searching-for-savings-in-medicare-drug-price-negotiations/

Yale/George Mason Poll: 81 percent support the Green New Deal plan.

http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/the-green-new-deal-has-strong-bipartisan-support/

Hart Poll: 63 percent support $15 minimum wage.

Kudos
Views
Replies