Having a Flexible Work Schedule Can Make You Feel (re)markable. Find a Part-Time Job on AARP’s Job Board.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Albert Einstein decried racism in America

Message 31 of 41

@rk9152 wrote:

It hardly seems appropriate to lay your white guilt on everyone else. That is a personal problem for you to deal with.

Dealing with your own racism is a question of character. Trying to find racism in others is a character flaw.

I agree that there is a character flaw here where some appears to be projecting their guilt on to others.  If not, then why the continuous posts accusing others of the trait? 

I've heard the phrase 'A better world begins with me'.  Yet those here throwing out the posts about 'racism' wants to accuse others of this and other negative traits.  Their posts return a reflection of themselves.

Report Inappropriate Content
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 41

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Albert Einstein decried racism in America. His diaries reveal a xenophobic, misogynistic side

In 1946, Albert Einstein stood in front of students at one of the oldest historically black colleges in the United States and decried the oppression of African Americans.

Now there's hot news all right, all right.  In 1946 there was certainly a lot of oppression of blacks.  Now, fast forwarding 72 years to 2018 America....

Message 33 of 41

@rk9152 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

That contradiction makes Einstein all the more human

I think we all have those contradictions, I know I do.

I was raised to be a racist, hardcore, I grew up with racism, it was ingrained in me from I suppose birth, not that I really remember very early childhood.

I am aware that ingrained racism is still there, it still affects me.

The question of my character is what I choose to do about it.

It hardly seems appropriate to lay your white guilt on everyone else. That is a personal problem for you to deal with.

Dealing with your own racism is a question of character. Trying to find racism in others is a character flaw.

When one cannot help but recognize racism that's made plain, obvious, and crystal clear by the subtext of denials, protestations and blatant disingenuities - one is not trying - merely pointing out the obvious...

trump supporters - this century's Quislings
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 34 of 41

@gruffstuff wrote:

I was raised to be a racist, hardcore, I grew up with racism, it was ingrained in me from I suppose birth, not that I really remember very early childhood.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 35 of 41

Anyone of true intelligence and good morals decries racism. The most effective thing anyone can do to address it is to recognize it in one's self and divest themselves of it.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"

Message 36 of 41

@Soosie wrote:

I am aware that ingrained racism is still there, it still affects The question of my character is what I choose to do about it.me..........@gruffstuff...........I think we all are racist to a certain extent. We do have a choice about what to do about it. As a child, I lived in an area that was mostly black. One family was very kind to us. In that household was a grandmother who ruled with an iron hand. Her daughter was very pretty and dressed very well. As I look back, I think she may have used some boyfriends in order to have the nicer things of life, but at the time I thought she was wonderful. Her son was the object of some of grandmas' wrath and grandma made him go regularly to bring his switch for the beating he would take. I felt sorry for him and wished I could have helped him even though I was a child. That is one family. In another they hated white people and one of the girls was always trying to wait somewhere to try to beat me up. I soon learned to play the game better than her and put her on the defense. The lesson I learned was that good and bad comes in all shapes, ages, colors, sexes and monetary values. I also saw some of my Mom's family evolve from thinking a race was all bad to learning there is good and bad in all. One of her brothers learned this during the time he was in law enforcement.

A problem I see today is those that constantly talk about it as if they are guilt ridden. The past is gone. We have today and the future. Why keep picking at an old sore? Let it heal.

The question of my character is what I choose to do about it. ............This is a great statement!!

@gruffstuff @Soosie  Excellent posts. IMO....over the years I've seen a handful or two of what one might call moderate to liberal posters discuss their racist upbringing and admit/concede/discuss the obstacles/challenge/awareness they've faced over their lifetime to overcome/ignore/became aware those ingrained beliefs/feelings/etc.  But I have not noticed (may just have missed it) those to the right of center make the same acknowledgement. I believe it's the defensiveness "discussed" in another thread....maybe I'm mistaken.  But a HUGE kudo to you, Soosie.

I believe if more of us admit our "roots", there will be less animosity between each other and we can discuss possible solutions because we all know it's an issue today, maybe not with ourselves and those reading posts here on AARP, but in our society.  There is a lot of wisdom on this forum, but many don't want to do much, more less discuss this blight on our nation.  Maybe the pain is still too fresh; maybe it's been repressed; maybe some are still in denial.  94% of Americans think it's a problem....if it was any other problem in our society, most would be discussing different ways to solve the challenge.  Would we take a similar stance to sexism?  Of course not.  We all know the first step in solving a problem is recognizing there is a problem, don't we....  It's not a topic many are comfortable with discussing, my suggestion is just skip over it.....there's no need to poison the discussio.

Thanks @Soosie and @gruffstuff for starting a/the dialogue.  "The question of my character is what I choose to do about it". ...... And how.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 37 of 41

I am aware that ingrained racism is still there, it still affects The question of my character is what I choose to do about it.me..........@gruffstuff...........I think we all are racist to a certain extent. We do have a choice about what to do about it. As a child, I lived in an area that was mostly black. One family was very kind to us. In that household was a grandmother who ruled with an iron hand. Her daughter was very pretty and dressed very well. As I look back, I think she may have used some boyfriends in order to have the nicer things of life, but at the time I thought she was wonderful. Her son was the object of some of grandmas' wrath and grandma made him go regularly to bring his switch for the beating he would take. I felt sorry for him and wished I could have helped him even though I was a child. That is one family. In another they hated white people and one of the girls was always trying to wait somewhere to try to beat me up. I soon learned to play the game better than her and put her on the defense. The lesson I learned was that good and bad comes in all shapes, ages, colors, sexes and monetary values. I also saw some of my Mom's family evolve from thinking a race was all bad to learning there is good and bad in all. One of her brothers learned this during the time he was in law enforcement.
A problem I see today is those that constantly talk about it as if they are guilt ridden. The past is gone. We have today and the future. Why keep picking at an old sore? Let it heal.
The question of my character is what I choose to do about it. ............This is a great statement!!

Message 38 of 41

Right. Character is an individual, minute by minute choice. What are you going to do about it now. Now is the salient part of the equation.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 39 of 41

Message 40 of 41
“There is separation of colored people from white people in the United States. That separation is not a disease of colored people. It is a disease of white people. ...........@Cent...... Guess back then he did not know that saying colored could be racist. Here's a story about color. A well known basketball coach that I worked with said he was trying to be careful not to offend any of his players, so he told them he would call everyone "purple." He messed up when he said, "Now all you light purple get on this side of the court and you dark purple take the other."